Juicing

Options
KrazyAsianNic
KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
Lately my boyfriend and I have been looking into juicing. We don't want to go on any juice fast yet, but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have half a glass/full glass a day.

Yesterday we bought a really nice used juicer for $20 off craigslist.

What are your favorite recipes that taste delicious? Does anyone have recipes that include Cilantro and parsley? (My boyfriend is going through a phase).

Replies

• AwesomeTriathlon
    AwesomeTriathlon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Carrot strawberry vitamin juice:
    4-6 carrots
    5ish strawberries

Mouthful of Skittles:
    2-3 strawberries
    3/4 lemon
    1 red apple
    2 carrots

Crisp green juice
    1 cucumber
    1/4 lemon
    2 carrots

These are recipes we've been making since we bought our juicer. All ingredients are bought organic.
    We've also been using juices for snack replacements or meal supplements instead of a plate of just green beans lol.
  • RayNewland
    Options
    Carrots, apples (Granny Smith), and ginger, make a great base. Make sure that for ever fistful of kale you juice, you add in a lemon. Celery is a good addition, but I would avoid beets until you are a hard-care devotee of juicing.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do parsley, beet, carrot and orange. Parsley, celery carrot, and orange or apple.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Carrots, apples (Granny Smith), and ginger, make a great base. Make sure that for ever fistful of kale you juice, you add in a lemon. Celery is a good addition, but I would avoid beets until you are a hard-care devotee of juicing.
    Why would you avoid beets? just asking?
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I open the fridge, pull stuff out, and make juice! Seems everything is good as long as there is an apple mixed in. My husband says the beets taste like dirt, but I like them! Orange beets have a less "dirt" flavor.

A good one is celery, tomato, peppers (any kind, jalpeno, bell etc.) and cilantro. Add garlic you're up to peeling it. The quantity of each fruit / veggie is something I play with. I'll start making a big 2 cup pitcher full, taste as I go and adjust.

My standard is 4-5 carrots, 1 apple, 1 beet. Every morning, and I swear my skin looked better immediatly! Enjoy your juicer!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Go to www.jointhereboot.com There are many juice recipes there.. Just steer clear of the V-28 :sick: They have a recipe for Tabouleh juice which your BF might like... Here are a few of my favorite juices:

Mean green (My version)

1/2 pound of kale
    1 cucumber
    3 large celery ribs
    1 lemon
    1 chunk of ginger
    1 granny smith apple
    I add a half scoop of protein powder and chia seeds. YUM.. Also if it's really sour add some stevia to sweeten. An orange also tastes good thrown into this juice if you have the carbs and sugar to spare!

Dessert juice

1 orange
    1 apple (pink lady is delish in this one)
    5 carrots
    5 strawberries
    very small piece of ginger
    It's REALLY sweet and not something I'd drink all the time since I prefer to eat my fruits whole but it's a nice treat and REALLY delicious and a nice change from green juice.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

I will be making a grocery list to try these.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options

I avoid beets at all costs and I've been juicing since June.. They look so delish and pretty but no matter how little I put in, they taste like dirt to me. I've read that it's genetic and for some people beets don't taste like dirt, but for me it tastes like I walked out into the garden, and tossed a handful of dirt into my mouth! Kale is another one you need to be careful with at first. When I started, I'd just do a few leaves and I worked my way up to more.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options

I avoid beets at all costs and I've been juicing since June.. They look so delish and pretty but no matter how little I put in, they taste like dirt to me. I've read that it's genetic and for some people beets don't taste like dirt, but for me it tastes like I walked out into the garden, and tossed a handful of dirt into my mouth! Kale is another one you need to be careful with at first. When I started, I'd just do a few leaves and I worked my way up to more.

I will keep that in mind. I'm not much of a Kale person to begin with, so I will have to start low. I do love roasted beets though... I will give it a try...

And thanks for the Joe Cross Website. I did watch his movie earlier this week. Didn't know he had a site
  • PRIMEJuicers
    PRIMEJuicers Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Juicing is great. I juice every day and at one time I thought it might be a phase for me. That was a long time ago. You may be in for a fantastic journey. You can get a real energy boost from juicing and setting your goals on one a day is awesome.

My favorites when starting out were very simple recipes:

Carrot-apple juice
    INGREDIENTS:
    6 carrots
    1 apple

Doctors Secret
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 apple
    1 carrot
    1 celery stalk

Digestive special
    INGREDIENTS:
    handful of spinach
    6 carrots

Rocket Fuel
    INGREDIENTS:
    handful of parsley
    6 carrots

Diplomatic Immunity
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 carrots
    1 stalk of celery
    1/2 beet with the greens
    1/2 handful of wheatgrass
    1/2 handful of parsley
    1 apple

I'd recommend a book for you. It's The Healthy Juicer's Bible by Farnoosh Brock. It'll help you with everything you need to know. Best of luck and happy juicing!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Lately my boyfriend and I have been looking into juicing. We don't want to go on any juice fast yet, but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have half a glass/full glass a day.

Yesterday we bought a really nice used juicer for $20 off craigslist.

What are your favorite recipes that taste delicious? Does anyone have recipes that include Cilantro and parsley? (My boyfriend is going through a phase).

This is the most sensible inquiry about juicing I've seen in forever. Good to see this!
  • jamberahmed
    Options
    I also enjoy juicing. How do you determine the nutrition facts to track in MFP?
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options
    This is the most sensible inquiry about juicing I've seen in forever. Good to see this!

Thanks?
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options

I'm not sure. I would assume you just record what you put through the juicer.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options

I'm not sure. I would assume you just record what you put through the juicer.

myphytos.com
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump