Options
13»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    none of the links I posted are "you'll feel better... just because"

doctors don't get through harvard on "just because"

Look at the sources he uses to back his claims.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

are we talking about the OP or Aragon?

of course they're good sources, but they represent only a part of the good sources that exist, thus the bias.
  • maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ...even professionals are leading you in the wrong direction. Learning about proper nutrition will save you a lot of wasted time and you'll get to your goals faster.

When I take on clients I make them do ridiculous amounts of research. Its not enough for me to just summarize things to them. People always end up trying to tweak things when they don't understand the mechanics of proper nutrition. It never works out as well as it could have. I always tell them that if they spent two less hours training a week and used those two hours to read they would inevitably reach their goals faster in the long run. I believe that when I say it.

Tons of people have mild eating disorders. Probably half the people reading this have mild eating disorders. Ive been a victim myself. Its not your fault really. You just have misinformation flying at you from every direction. Even people who understand nutrition often find themselves doing some things they shouldn't. Bad habbits die hard. Stop them before they start.

By mild eating disorders I mean

-You eat too little
    -Nutrition outweighs friendship and social occasions
    -Your diet has ruined friendships
    -You consider certain foods to be taboo
    -You do extra exercise when you eat things you feel guilty about
    -You fast if you over eat for the day

To name a few.

If you've done any of these things, ever, I consider you as risk for serious health issues in the future. Eating disorders don't just manifest themselves overnight. So, don't think , "I'm special, that'll never be me". You're not special.

This is why people should spend some serious time doing real research on proper nutrition.

Heres the sources I suggest.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Read stickies^

www.bodyrecomposition.com

www.alanaragonblog.com

www.leangains.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/IceCreamFitness

If you read all that you'd know more than ~99% of people everywhere. You can learn it in a month easily. Spend all your time learning rather than asking questions.

And tell me, sir, why are YOUR sources unbiased?

Truth is they aren't.

These sources support the "eat pop tarts and ice cream" crowd if anyone was wondering. There are many, many other valid viewpoints on nitrition, presented by people who aren't obnoxious like Aragon.

Tell me where any of these people tell you to eat pop tarts and ice cream?

ETA: If you have some resources you would like to share why don't you start your own thread and post them?,,....just noticed you did - lets pop over there then
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    -You do extra exercise when you eat things you feel guilty about

How is this one a disorder? In its extremes, I could understand that there might be a problem (Bulimia?), but what might be wrong with ingesting a extra thousand calories, say in the form of pizza, and then having a nice long run to burn it off?

I think it is the 'feeling guilty' sentiment that is cause for concern, not the extra exercise to burn them off.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thoughtful post - good links.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I consider human flesh to be taboo. Also wheat is out because it give me a scalp condition. Also veal and foie gras because they are inhumane.

Guess I am at risk for serious heath issues.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you listed all my go to pages
    I like that :flowerforyou:
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

I consider human flesh to be taboo. Also wheat is out because it give me a scalp condition. Also veal and foie gras because they are inhumane.

And, here we go with the internet warriors making ridiculous extrapolations.

As ridiculous as the fear mongering and nail biting? More? Less?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

And tell me, sir, why are YOUR sources unbiased?

Truth is they aren't.

These sources support the "eat pop tarts and ice cream" crowd if anyone was wondering. There are many, many other valid viewpoints on nitrition, presented by people who aren't obnoxious like Aragon.

I thought you had decided to like poptarts after all?

Sometimes the truth hurts but his point is 100% valid. And I wouldn't necessarily call him obnoxious he's giving constructive criticism but you on the other hand are giving rude criticism. Maybe place some other perspectives as examples or other alternative ideas if you think he is wrong.

Hmm it certainly wasn't my intention to be rude, just asking since he had mentioned in another thread that he had come to understand IIFYM better and had even bought poptarts. I didn't call him obnoxious either.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

are we talking about the OP or Aragon?

of course they're good sources, but they represent only a part of the good sources that exist, thus the bias.

Was actually referring to John Wright from the list of sources you compiled, the Harvard grad. Some of his sources are terrible and, at least from the 'e-tips' section, he makes quite a few unfounded conclusions and unbacked claims. I think there is some good information to be found in the list you put together, I just tend to think that the list put together by the OP has more scientifically backed information and less conclusion hopping.
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

And, here we go with the internet warriors making ridiculous extrapolations.

As ridiculous as the fear mongering and nail biting? More? Less?

DO NOT FEED THE BEARS.

If you want to think I'm on the road to an eating disorder because I make candy bars verboten in my diet, I'm going to have a hard time not making jokes about it. Because it's silly.

If that makes me a troll, so be it. But, FYI, any time you posture about not feeding me, I feel fed.

NOM NOM NOM
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bump