1000 Calories a Day

Options

Replies

• dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    So at 28 years old, 5'4" and 155 lbs, exercising 3 hours (light) per week, you're burning an average of 1950 calories per day.
    Losing 25 lbs in 2 months is unreasonable for you. Even if you succeed, you will need an even lower goal weight because you'll probably lose about 5-7 lbs of muscle in the process.

Try eating 120g protein daily with a total calorie intake of 1600. You should lose about a pound every 10 days in a healthy manner.

Or do about 1500 on rest days and 1700 on C25k days.

TFG.
    <3333
  • lahalab
    lahalab Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    well i just started the c25k last week, so i'm in week 2 now. burn around 200 k in 30 minutes. Does that matter.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm 5'4 and i weigh 155, trying to eat a 1000 cal a day but it's so hard to think of healthy dinners. Any ideas?
    i'm also doing the c25k three times a week..

it's so hard to think of healthy dinners to fit... because that's not enough calories for you in a day. Please listen to the others in this post.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I like to use a calorie deficit calculator (http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php). For a person your age, weight, height, activity level (I set at lightly active), you should eat 2050 calories per day. To lose weight, eat a deficit of this:

15% less 1743
    20% less 1640
    25% less 1538
    30% less 1435

You are definitely not eating enough!!! For a healthy weight loss, you should not lose more than 2 lbs per week. Starving yourself is not healthy. Remember - food is FUEL!!! Your organs need fuel to function.
  • Scrapbookee
    Scrapbookee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem coming up with dinners. What I do is buy tons of chicken breasts, pork chops, and once in a while some steaks.

Every night I cook up about 5-6 ounces of whichever meat I am craving and with it I have 1 cup of white rice, 2 cups broccoli cuts, and some weight watchers pepper jack on top. I've come to enjoy my side dish more than the meat in my dinners!

And I know everyone else has said it, but 1000 calories in a day is just too few to be healthy. Please don't starve yourself!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and lost weight eating 1800 calories. Now, maintaining 118 lbs on average 2200-2500 calories. You don't have to starve.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight...Would like to get to 130 by June 1st.

If you want to be 130 by June 1 and up to 170 by September 1, that might be a plan.

1% of your weight per week is best if you want to stay at the lower weight (most people call it 1 to 2 pounds, but that's not entirely accurate).

In the roughly 9 weeks until June 1, if you watch your intake perfectly and exercise a lot, you could lose 15 pounds and keep them off. That's still great progress if you can stick with it.
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and when I weighed about your weight and I talked to my doctor and told her that I was not losing any weight eating 1200 calories a day (and exercising 5-6 times a week). She informed me that I wouldn't lose eating that amount of calories and that I should eat 1000 a day, even when I exercised. I, too was doing C25K (almost to the 5K by that time) and then running 15-20 miles a week plus strength training 2x/week. I did add some extra calories on days that I exercised, but not much, and never any bread products after 3pm (per doctor's recommendation). I am hypothyroid and it is hard for me to lose weight, but by doing this, I lost 25 lbs. last year.

Everybody is different and those of us that are shorter and/or our bodies work differently are often slammed on here for not eating enough. Do what works for you, but be healthy too. Check in with your doctor and ask for their advice. Eat clean foods, nothing processed in packages or boxes. I ate a lot of salads with protein, chicken and green veggies, or fish and green veggies for dinner. Most of my calories were eaten earlier in the day. Good luck!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm 5'4 and i weigh 155, trying to eat a 1000 cal a day but it's so hard to think of healthy dinners. Any ideas?

I suggest you check with a nutritionist who can guide you on what your intake should be for your unique set of circumstances. What works for one person may not work for another and any individual on this forum does not know you or your physiology.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and eating just over 2000 a day....

Please eat more.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You should eat more, to be honest. I am 5'4". I started weighing 164 pounds in April of 2011. By the end of September 2011 I weighed 130. 24 pounds in a little over 2 months at the weight you're at now is a very agressive goal. it's over 2 pounds a week, which is typically doable for someone with less than 50 or 60 pounds to lose. Don't put a finite time on it, just go slow, you're more likely to develop good, healthy, lasting habits that way. When I was losing, I was eating 1300-1400, typically, I believe. I don't htink i went under 1200 ever.

That aside, focus on veggies and lean proteins with fruits added in. I eat a lot of egg whites, some eggs, extra lean ground beef, ground turkey, lower fat dairy, and some chicken and tuna. Beans/legumes are also a good source of protein. You can't go wrong with some grilled chicken and a nice, big green salad with either no dressing or a healthier one (I LOVE Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings).
  • calimoma
    calimoma Posts: 64
    Options
    im just like you! im also 5'4" and trying to get to at least 130. right now im 156....we are very alike! i have my diary set at 1200 but i dont always eat all that, plus i do cardio/jogging. if i stay on track its working well for me. good luck add me if youd like a new friend!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to reiterate what everyone else has said. 1000 a day is not a healthy way to lose weight. it's a starvation diet. Ask yourself if you want to get healthy and fit for life or starve yourself for a few months, wear yourself down and eventually gain it back because it's not a sustainable way of life. Make this a healthy lifestyle! You should up your calories to at the very least 1300 ....and yes, eat back those exercise calories you've earned.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    O.o is this a joke!!??
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6cugkOYrx1rw28npo1_500.jpg
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I started out at 156.5 as well and it took me three months to get to 130. However, I ate a minimum of 1350 calories a day and ate back exercise calories to get there. You CAN do this...but you will have to eat more. The people who have posted have sound advice! There's no way I could have done that at 1000 calories a day.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Curious as to why you picked 1000 calories as the right amount... I'm 5'4 1/2", and was in the low 140s when I started with a goal of a 120lbs. I routinely ate between 900-1200 calories over the course of 3+ months or so, and hit below goal weight quickly and easily without much exercise. Once I started exercising, was able to eat more, and have now been in maintenance for close to a year. Even in maintenance - I am only given 1460 calories daily... So that should give you an idea that not everyone's bodies (and goals) are equal. Thankfully, there is an abundance of healthy and filling (and low-cal) meals out there!

From reading the forums, many people assume (wrongly) that EVERYONE will go into starvation mode, and curl and up and die within a short time after eating below 1200 calories (or minimally, will not lose weight). Years ago, was on a 600 calorie per day diet through a clinic, (and lost weight), but of course gained it back after eating regular food (and too much of it).

This particular site advises 1200 as a minimum based on one's activity levels, (and a few other factors) and I believe that base rate (that no one is advised to go under) is probably based on covering their bum...they can say that they advised their site's users to be safe.

I would suggest that you know your BMR, factor in your exercise, (this will give you your TDEE) and then adjust accordingly to figure calories needed to lose weight.

As long as your doctor says you're healthy and on the right track, ignore the naysayers...

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and when I weighed about your weight and I talked to my doctor and told her that I was not losing any weight eating 1200 calories a day (and exercising 5-6 times a week). She informed me that I wouldn't lose eating that amount of calories and that I should eat 1000 a day, even when I exercised.

Was this a family practice doctor? Or a certified dietritian? Because even the military dietritians don't suggest such a huge deficit, even when people are sent to see them to lose weight. The lowest they go is 1200...and that is with WEEKLY visits to the clinics or check-ins with your corpmen.
  • lahalab
    lahalab Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know someone who did it and she lost 26 pounds in 2 months. then she increased her intake to 1200....I am very ok and i'm not starving at all. i just have better choices in food :D
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Zoooooom! Eat lots of food and become an active person. Not just someone working out to lose weight. Jump some stairs. Skip around. Run to your car to grab stuff from it. Totes works.