Why am I not losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Up your calories a little and start lifting. Machines are ok, but compound lifts with free weights will hit more muscle groups in one go so you can get in and get out faster, plus you'll develop core strength. I'd suggest getting a book or find a routine online that includes squats and deadlifts, then buy a session with a personal trainer or work out with someone experienced to make sure your form is good. You'll see positive changes in a short period of time. And don't be scared of the guys, they're not paying any attention to anything other than what they're doing. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have thought about upping my calories but it makes me nervous. I'm afraid I'll try it for too long and gain a bunch of weight back. How long should I try it to see if it works? Would a week be long enough?

No a week isn't going to be long enough. From what I have read you need to try it for a couple of weeks at the minimum.
    More like 4-6 weeks.

And I agree that you likely need more fuel, and I don't think you need to increase workout time at all. In fact your single rest day isn't really a rest day if you do a workout video that day, no matter how short. :tongue: Take a walk or something like that if you like, but an actual break from any sort of workout is a good thing.

This video is just a 2 mile walking video. It really is nothing. I don't even break a sweat doing it anymore.
    Ah, I was imagining a short but intense weight workout or something. Carry on!
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It sounds scary to me, but I'm going to try and eat more. It can't be hard since eating is what got me here to begin with lol. I'm also going to add in weight lifting. Hopefully this works!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to hit plateaus, but they shouldn't last months. If you were losing at 1400 calories & your workouts, then stopped losing, then I think it was wise to drop it to 1200 (or increase your workouts, which it sounds like you are maxed out on time-wise). The other thing I might suggest is to check w/your doctor, Hypothyroidism is pretty common w/women & can make it difficult to lose. Here's a link to symptoms, as well as a quiz you can take to see if you're at risk. See if you notice any other symptoms. There are also other medical conditions that can cause the same problem, your doctor should be able to tell you. If it's hypothyroidism, then it's usually an easy fix w/an inexpensive med. In fact, in the early 20th century doctors used to prescribe it (in ladies who didn't need it...not good) as a diet pill. ;-) Hope you figure it out, but it sounds like you're being smart about it.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/checklist.htm
  • lap012165
    lap012165 Posts: 24
    Options
    Read your food journal. Looks good. Try to more protein and less carbs. I think will help you out alot. I think 1400-1600 calories is a good number for you. I too do alot of cardio and it works just fine for me.
    Keep up the good work :wink:
    p.s. I like the fact you admit to having a cocktail now and then. Me too:drinker:
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    It's not uncommon to hit plateaus, but they shouldn't last months. If you were losing at 1400 calories & your workouts, then stopped losing, then I think it was wise to drop it to 1200 (or increase your workouts, which it sounds like you are maxed out on time-wise). The other thing I might suggest is to check w/your doctor, Hypothyroidism is pretty common w/women & can make it difficult to lose. Here's a link to symptoms, as well as a quiz you can take to see if you're at risk. See if you notice any other symptoms. There are also other medical conditions that can cause the same problem, your doctor should be able to tell you. If it's hypothyroidism, then it's usually an easy fix w/an inexpensive med. In fact, in the early 20th century doctors used to prescribe it (in ladies who didn't need it...not good) as a diet pill. ;-) Hope you figure it out, but it sounds like you're being smart about it.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/checklist.htm

When I was losing all the weight I was eating right at 1200 and working out- just not to the extent I am now. My hubby was away at basic so I was stressed and had to force myself to eat that much. Somedays I would eat a big mac meal and that would be it for the day. I know there are healthier ways of getting 1200 calories, but I don't want to go back to eating so little because I know it's unhealthy. I do have a dr. appt next week, just a normal check up. I figured I would ask for her input as well.
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    Read your food journal. Looks good. Try to more protein and less carbs. I think will help you out alot. I think 1400-1600 calories is a good number for you. I too do alot of cardio and it works just fine for me.
    Keep up the good work :wink:
    p.s. I like the fact you admit to having a cocktail now and then. Me too:drinker:

I normally don't drink much. It was my birthday tho lol
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    this is a very good read about upping your calories... take the time to let the info really sink in

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience?hl=increasing+calories+what+to+expect
  • da_bears10089
    Options
    what are your stats... height, weight, age, bf% (estimate)? can't tell you how much you should be eating if i don't know anything about you!

Height 5'6. Weight is 195, it was 256 I've come a long way, but not long enough. Just turned 23 a few days ago! I have a fancy scale that says my bf% is 31, not sure if thats correct or not.

You wil not like this answer, but it is the honest one. You are not eating nearly enough calories. I just ran your numbers and your TDEE is 2000 calories. Which means you would maintain your current weight at 2000. You need to NET 1550-1600 calories to lose weight. Lower than that puts a strain on your body that makes it hard to lose weight.

I know it is scary to increase your calories, because I had to go through that too, but it's part of the mindset change that goes along with being healthy. You can lose weight and eat plenty, and not feel deprived. It's great!

The method is to slowly up your calories by about 100 per week so that you don't feel like you are stuffing yourself and your hormones can adjust. Once you get to 1600 cals, sit there for a month and by the end of the month you should see the weight coming off. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Good luck!

when i ran her numbers, i included the exercising she is doing, so i used moderate as the modifier. i got a MAINTENANCE of 2589 cals a day and 2021 based on a 20% deficit. this way you don't have to log your calories and worry about eating them back. just eat that amount each day and you will still lose weight. but like i said earlier, read that "increasing your calories" forum. super important.
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    I can't even imagine eating 2000 calories per day. This is going to be tough
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a while now. I lost 60 lbs and now I've been stuck in about the same spot for months. I usually eat around 1400 calories, some days more, for example if you look at my diary- this weekend was my birthday so I went a little crazy Saturday.

This is my workout plan. I'm working on C25k Mon. Wed, and Fri. 30 Day shred Monday-Friday mornings except Thursdays. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have class til about 10 pm so Thursdays are my rest days, I just do a short Leslie Sansone video and Tuesdays are 30 DS and Zumba wii before work. Saturday and Sunday I go to the gym and do different cardio machines for about 1.5 hours.

What am I doing wrong? Everyone always tells people who post like this to eat more, but I feel like I am eating enough. Most of those people eat less than 1200, and I make sure I never go below 1200.

You're doing a LOT of cardio and 30DS is a awesome sweaty workout but it too is cardio. Maybe try some serious strength training like 'the new rules of lifting for women'. Lift heavy weights that challenge you, compound moves. Or get into body weight training or a power yoga class. Make sure you're getting enough protein too!
  • da_bears10089
    Options

ease yourself nto it. you will be amazed at how much better you will feel during your workouts too
  • Charlie_Hooper
    Charlie_Hooper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What about foods that apparently increase metabolism? I've heard quite a few, I read that green tea and peanuts (in moderation) as snacks are good, filling, clean etc, but have been proven to increase metabolism...

Any mileage in that (fiddling with what you eat a little) if you have no time to exercise further/ dont want to eat more?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If eating more scares you, try and go a week without all that extra cardio. If you're doing C25k, just do those runs for the week and no 30ds and no zumba or whatever... just 3 workouts in one week and eat the same. You might just find you bust out of that plateau and start to consider that your body isn't getting enough fuel for all that exercise.
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The "Fat Burning Zone" is a misnomer
    http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone
    You're theoretically burning more *efficiently* at that zone, but because you're working at a slower rate you burn less overall in the same amount of time

I'd honestly try keeping your intake the same and try replacing some of your workouts with High Intensity Intervals, and some with lifting. That helped me get out of my plateaus.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

ease yourself nto it. you will be amazed at how much better you will feel during your workouts too

Yup. 100 calories more each week.

The hunger-regulating hormone in your body is called Leptin, and it is produced in proportion to your intake.

If you eat more, more leptin is produced and you feel more hungry. If you eat less, less leptin is produced and you feel less hungry. This is how you can have an anorexic eating 800 cals a day and not feeling hungry.

If you increase your calories by 100 per week, your leptin regulation should remain mostly uninterrupted and you won't feel like you are stuffing yourself, you will actually be hungry for the right number of calories.
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase your weight lifting away from the sweaty guys, then get into a Body Pump Class or a Nike Fitness club class. These are free weight group classes. Nike Fitness Club is designed for women.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    what are your stats... height, weight, age, bf% (estimate)? can't tell you how much you should be eating if i don't know anything about you!

Height 5'6. Weight is 195, it was 256 I've come a long way, but not long enough. Just turned 23 a few days ago! I have a fancy scale that says my bf% is 31, not sure if thats correct or not.

You wil not like this answer, but it is the honest one. You are not eating nearly enough calories. I just ran your numbers and your TDEE is 2000 calories. Which means you would maintain your current weight at 2000. You need to NET 1550-1600 calories to lose weight. Lower than that puts a strain on your body that makes it hard to lose weight.

I know it is scary to increase your calories, because I had to go through that too, but it's part of the mindset change that goes along with being healthy. You can lose weight and eat plenty, and not feel deprived. It's great!

The method is to slowly up your calories by about 100 per week so that you don't feel like you are stuffing yourself and your hormones can adjust. Once you get to 1600 cals, sit there for a month and by the end of the month you should see the weight coming off. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Good luck!

This. I am recovered from a 12 year ED, and so believe me, thinking I had to up my calories even MORE was really tough considering only a couple of years ago I was surviving on 200 calories a DAY.
    A year later from when I returned to the site and I've gone from 1200-ish on here, to now having my goal as my TDEE maintenance of 2023 and trying to stay under that most day, but don't mind going over. I go by weekly calories and as long as I'm under for the week, then it's all good.

Eat more. Up it by a good few hundred.
    Less cardio - more strength.
    Drink lots.
    Stop weighing - start measuring. I've lost 21 inches in the past year without any intense exercise, and only lost 7-10lb (it fluctuates).

I wish I'd have eaten more and started strength training a year ago!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio, not enough protein.

Step 1: Full diet/exercise break for 1-2 weeks. Eat maintenance calories, with 0.8g/lb lean body mass protein per day.
    Step 2: Go back to 1400 calories/day. Do "heavy" resistance training 3 days per week. No cardio. Eat 1.3g protein/lb lean body mass per day (if you are having trouble getting this, 2 scoops of protein powder will give you around 40-50g, and then lean meat works well for the rest... turkey, chicken, 96/4 ground beef, top sirloin are all good options). Do that for 2 months. You will lose a lot of weight.
    Step 3: After 2 months of the above with no cardio, you can begin to reintroduce cardio. I'd start with 1 day per week, and focus on light activity, e.g. walking. Ensure that you do not start suffering symptoms of overtraining (extreme fatigue, a decrease in weights you can lift), and increase cardio slowly as desired.

Note: When you start resistance training, you may see an increase in weight after resistance sessions. This is normal, and is the result of water retention as part of the healing process.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have the same stats as you. 5'6", SW 252, CW: 195, though BF has been estimated at 33%. I eat 1800 a day and have only been walking an hour to an hour and a half 3 times a week due to post-op exercise restrictions for the last 7 weeks, and I STILL am losing a pound a week. This is after doing Crossfit and kettlebells 3 times a week for the last 6 months. Yes, you need to eat more, and you won't gain weight from it.