Eating at Work

Options
Hi
I work in an office and often find myself snaking at my desk. Does anyone have any ideas of low calorie snacks. Also what lunches could I bring to work?

Thanks

Replies

• kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a look at my diary!

My favorite snacks are:
    homemade roasted chickpeas
    flavored almond packs (100 cal packs)
    carrots
    light string cheese

Lunches:
    Wraps (low carb wrap), deli meat (low sodium), cheese, peppers---yum!
    Big *kitten* salads :) I always chop up some kind of protein on my salad (usually whatever meat I cooked for dinner the night before, or I bake seasoned chicken breast ahead of time)
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a look at my diary!

My favorite snacks are:
    homemade roasted chickpeas
    flavored almond packs (100 cal packs)
    carrots
    light string cheese

Lunches:
    Wraps (low carb wrap), deli meat (low sodium), cheese, peppers---yum!
    Big *kitten* salads :) I always chop up some kind of protein on my salad (usually whatever meat I cooked for dinner the night before, or I bake seasoned chicken breast ahead of time)

I do prettymuch all of the above. However, I also keep greek yogurt at my office. My go-to snacks are the yogurt, string cheese, & some kind of nuts - either almonds or peanuts. My go-to meals are salads with chicken, turkey burgers on arnold sandwich thins, & shredded chicken with salsa/guacamole.

Make a healthy meal at night & bring leftovers for lunch the next day, or cook two big meals a week and pack for a couple days. This way you can guarantee youre eating healthy at lunch AND dinner.

I tend to avoid prepackaged meals (Smart Ones, Lean Cuisines, etc.) because they are full of sodium and enough to feed an ant. If I don't happen to bring my lunch, I usually pick up some sort of salad (and look up the calories online ahead of time.)

Good luck!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to look at my diary, as well. I pack lunch and snack everyday :)

Looks like we have similar goals, too!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like crunchy veggies to snack on. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for them, but I do find them satisfying once I actually convince myself that they're better for me than the M&Ms from my co-worker's candy bowl. ;) Things like celery, peas in the pod, zucchinni, cucmber and carrots. Apples and pears are fairly filling as well. I love the pairing of an apple with a string cheese. Nuts, yogurt and cottage cheese are also great snacks. I also like to take packets of oatmeal for when I'm craving something warm and/or carby.

For lunches I do a lot of sandwiches or salads with lunch meat. Lately, I'm loving mixing a can of tuna with some Bolthouse Farms yogurt Honey Mustard dressing and serving over some herb blend salad.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I bring all manner of fruits and veggies to work. Today I had with me an apple, orange, strawberries, green pepper and cucumber. I also keep little 35cal yogurts in the fridge, and organic oatmeal in my drawer, just in case. Plus lunch :)

I pretty much constantly have food in my mouth at work.

P.S. my diary is open, but honestly it doesn't vary much from day to day while at work.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Do you have a fridge and microwave available at work?

My desk snacks are 100 calorie packs of raw almonds - very satiating and the small kashi bars.

I generally stock the freezer at work with Amy's or EVOL burritos. They have "real" ingrediants, not a bunch of strange fillers. I only eat half an EVOL because they are around 400 cals. I buy 100 cal packs of Wholly Guacamole and a ready-pac of Pico de Gallo and keep those in the fridge at work. Sometimes a bag of spinach too. I nuke the burrito with the spinach on top (if I have it) and then top with 100 cals of guac and a bunch of Pico - very filling and nutritious lunch.

Hope that helps!
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    I eat a banana for first break snack, and then my powerbar for my lunch. (Unfortunately today it's also my dinner)
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Oyster crackers are low in fat/calories and will suffice for a salty snack. Fruits will satisfy for a sweet snack. String cheese is only 50 calories per stick. Those are my 3 favorite that I always snack on. I get a smoothie a lot of times too, and that will satisfy you longer than a normal little snack will.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I bring leftovers to work most days. If there aren't any leftovers, I usually bring cottage cheese with tomatoes & spinach or arugula, or a sandwich wrap.

For snacks I like low sodium V8, fruit, low sugar granola bars, veggies sticks, dry roasted edamame, nuts
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a big time grazer, have a look at my diary for some ideas.

I recommend embracing veggies, and mixing in a few nuts and cheese items with a piece of fruit.
    Also, find a protien drink you enjoy. My favorite it the Vega Smoothies - they taste good and I can go longer without snacking when I have a shake to sip.
  • Saliang
    Saliang Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good question - I am also open to new snack ideas during lunch hours!

I am into low fat Greek yogurt, all sorts of fruits, herbal teas, almonds and rice cakes.

I have picked up some nice ideas from the suggestions above.....thank you!
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cuppa soup for lunch at work, as we don't have access to a microwave, there is no shop near us, and i don't trust the calorie content of the cafeteria food! It's warming, low in calories, and fills me up for a while. Snack wise i'm a fan of Rivita's, any pack of crisps or a cereal bar with a calorie content less than 100, (and that's if i'm feeling naughty), lettuce, cherry tomatoes, celery, carrot sticks, cucumber, a banana or an apple...i try to keep it varied.
  • amandacillin
    amandacillin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am circuit training so I eat a LOT of protein and low carbs but not NO carb. I prepare all my snacks and lunches (with exception to fresh fruit and veggies) on Sunday before the week starts. I will grill a BUNCH of chicken (easy to grab), boiled eggs, wraps, fresh deli meats, steel oats etc. I pick up my fruits and veggies pre-prepared at a whole-foods store on my lunch break monday and stock the fridge at work so I can have things that are easy to grab and have little or no prep. Also something I like to eat as a snack is cottage cheese mixed with grape tomatoes, avocado and black pepper, it's yummy! Also, I constantly search for new ideas for recipes on Pinterest, blogs, Google etc.. so I don't get bored eating the same stuff. One last thing....Chobani Plain greek Yogurt (no-fat) is GREAT for a sour cream/cream cheese substitution in recipes. I have learned to substitute lots to still get to eat some of the things I like. It takes some tweaking.. I also have great recipes for Quinoa that tastes EXACTLY like fried rice and a recipe for Quoinoa that tastes like Spanish rice but is good for you! It's amazing, check it out! Good Luck!