Any tips for binge eaters?

Options

Replies

• chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to eat on a schedule and only allow myself a limited number of calories. I eat every 3-4 hours and if I want something sweet I eat it but I make sure it fits my calories. It helps to think of your calories as a budget. I could spend 400 calories on cake and ice cream but would I really be satisfied from that? No, I rather eat something healthy and be able to eat a lot more. I also eat slow and be conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth as opposed to "blind" eating.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Totally recovered binge eater here.

The only thing that eliminated my need to binge was changing WHAT I eat. Really. Changing what I eat also cured depression, anxiety, intestinal disorders, metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetes), chronic joint pain, allergies, frequent illness/infection, sleep apnea, etc, etc, etc. And obesity is being cured as well, but it's taking longer that the others, of course.

I have discovered that my "binge eating disorder" was NOT a psychological issue, but a physical symptom of poor diet. I was completely malnourished and my body was trying desperately to obtain adequate nutrition. (Yes, one can be obese and malnourished; look around.)

(Possibly not what you wanted to hear.)

^^This. There is a biochemical reason why people binge. Google 'sugar addiction radiant recovery' and see what comes up

i just got this book a few days ago, its like it was written FOR me!
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I used to binge eat. For every reason under the sun. Stress, boredom, to celebrate. I had a very bad relationship with food.

I changed this by changing my relationship with food. I needed help. Your body could be malnourished, or you could have a bad relationship with food. First you need to figure out which one it is. If its malnutrition, start looking at your macros and start incorporating foods that fulfill those macros. If that doesn't work, start looking at eating patterns. Write down how you are feeling when you binge. What you are doing, what happened to set you off and so forth.

If you find you have triggers, I would suggest seeking the help of a counselor.
  • Ginoo
    Ginoo Posts: 56
    Options
    MFP has been an eye opener for me. I have discovered that my binging episodes was due to my normal diet being completely inadequate. When I started logging my food I realized I was only consuming about 800 calories a day and exercising on top of that. (MFP has given me 1200) My body was not getting enough nutrients or fuel. I would keep this up for a few weeks and then one day just binge and not stop. I would binge for a few weeks and eventually start feeling guilty and hate myself and then starve again. Vicious cycle. So check your diet, make sure you are consuming the correct amount of calories and that your food choices are good healthy one. Hope this helps.
  • kmw899
    kmw899 Posts: 41
    Options
    One thing I do is put notes up on the fridge and cupboards to remind myself not to binge.

Here's one of them. I also try to remind myself that the food is only going to taste good for a few minutes and then I'll just feel guilty and regretful.

1120d74282a311e2bf3622000a9f1886_7.jpg
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Eat Protein early and often throughout the day.
    Don't bring evil foods into the house [you know which ones]---ever!
    IF you binge, forgive yourself, tomorrow start anew.

Good luck!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    i make sure to go grocery shopping on a full stomach...and have meal plans in mind so that i buy healthy groceries
    i dont have ANY bad food in my house/fridge - espeically no snacks (maybe granola bars or yogurt)

if i want to eat..i have to cook!

if i want to binge....i will have to go ALL the way to a fast food place..and by the time i realize that i dont care enough or its not that serious so i stick to my diet

**if its not there you cant eat it!**

This is where I am now. I use to binge really bad - weekends were horrible. And part of it was not eating well during the week. I've discovered that I really need to eat about 5 small meals a day. And I can't have the stuff in the house. Its taken 10 years to get my husband to go along with this. He thinks I should have more self control but sometimes it's not about self control. I drink water, I do allow small cheats. And I PORTION everything. And I log, good and bad. It helps me be honest with myself. Good luck.
  • 127ismygoal
    127ismygoal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to say, one good thing I do is make a lunch box of vegetable nibbles (got the idea from the lunch box diet book - which may be worth a look) I nibble on them all through the day and eat something just before home time so that I don't get in wanting to smother myself in food. Literally sometimes it feels like that!
  • longboardingtiger
    Options
    Thank you guys, you're just awesome!!
    Every single message you sent is so much help...I'll keep this conversation in a bookmark!
    I was very upset when I posted this topic, and thanks to you guys I already feel much much better. This gives me hope! And motivation to do better :3
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The first question that popped into my mind is: what may be the trigger(s) to the binge eating? If I have an uneventful routine day I'm spot on with my eating. If I have a bad day at work or something stressed me out, I'm digging into the Ben and Jerry's or going to the drive thru at Jack in the Box. If the boss yells at me it's a 3,000+ calorie day. If I come home to a messy house, I'm eating the second bratwurst. The "check engine" light comes on and I'm swinging by the 7-11 for a big gulp. Stress is my trigger - it's a challenge to figure out how to deal with the stress without turning to food. Not sure if this helps you but it may be worth a deeper look into it.

Edited to add: one thing that has really helped me from making some foolish choices - when I see a doughnut or some other sort of goody, I keep telling myself that it will still be there when I make goal weight. Well.... maybe not the case with the Cool Ranch Loco Taco (which is supposed to be here for a limited time only) - curse you Taco Bell!!
  • mgsimon
    mgsimon Posts: 18
    Options
    I would do that alot as well. Last night, for instance. I got MAD munchies, and went into the fridge to raid it.
    But than I stopped for a second, and thought do i REALLY want the extra calories before I go to bed?
    I'm not any expert, im new to this, but I know eating a bunch of junk food before bed is a no-no.
    So, i got a glass of water and drank that and the munchies went away. It was tough but it might work for you.
    Just remember tomorrow is a new day, and always keep working. Were humans, bound to mess up.
    Dont take it to heart and dont give up,.

Thanks for your reply!
    Yes, you're totally wright.
    Problem with me is in cases like this I just can't control myself. As if I HAD TO eat all these, I'm not myself anymore :/
    But anyway, I'll try the glass of water trick next time.
    As you said, tomorrow is a new day :):)

I'm a binger...big time. First off, always record the binge. That is eye opening. Even if you don't try to do anything to stop it. Record it and feel the results as you go through the exercise of putting each calorie/item in your diary. Then, try to do better next time AND, most importantly, get right back on track. Don't let one night's binge derail you, especially from any exercise program. While 80% of what you do for weight loss is away from the gym, I feel the act of going, working out etc eventually brings you to a point where you can't overeat and feel ok about going to the gym because you will be bloated, sluggish etc. While it could work the other way, meaning if you feel bloated, sluggish etc you WON'T go to the gym, I've found it works best to make myself go and the eating gets under control. I want to eat better after a workout. Finally, practical advice during the trip to the cabinet or refrigerator or drive thru lane. Try to understand what you are doing, try to understand the consequence, and go ahead and eat something. But try really hard to make it a better choice. If I'm craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I'll try to go with a few peanuts. Or, half a wheat thin with a little bit of peanut butter on it instead of making a whole sandwich. If I'm at In n Out, I'll get the single cheeseburger and no fries and no spread vs. double double with spread and french fries. Just try to always make better decisions. You'll find yourself actually driving away from the fast food place to go get a boneless/skinless chicken breast lettuce wrap, or opening up the refrigerator and having an apple instead of the piece of pie.

I'm no expert. I'm just doing it one day at a time (actually, 97 days in a row!!) and learning as I go. This is my 10th attempt at losing and I have no illusions that there might be an 11th. But, for some reason (exercise, higher level of commitment, losing for the "right reasons" ) this one feels different. Small victories, never a finish line, and just try to be better tomorrow, especially if you weren't today. :) Good luck.
  • longboardingtiger
    Options

The only thing that eliminated my need to binge was changing WHAT I eat. Really. Changing what I eat also cured depression, anxiety, intestinal disorders, metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetes), chronic joint pain, allergies, frequent illness/infection, sleep apnea, etc, etc, etc. And obesity is being cured as well, but it's taking longer that the others, of course.

I have discovered that my "binge eating disorder" was NOT a psychological issue, but a physical symptom of poor diet. I was completely malnourished and my body was trying desperately to obtain adequate nutrition. (Yes, one can be obese and malnourished; look around.)

^^This. There is a biochemical reason why people binge. Google 'sugar addiction radiant recovery' and see what comes up

Super interesting! First time I hear about that..!
  • longboardingtiger
    Options
    I would do that alot as well. Last night, for instance. I got MAD munchies, and went into the fridge to raid it.
    But than I stopped for a second, and thought do i REALLY want the extra calories before I go to bed?
    I'm not any expert, im new to this, but I know eating a bunch of junk food before bed is a no-no.
    So, i got a glass of water and drank that and the munchies went away. It was tough but it might work for you.
    Just remember tomorrow is a new day, and always keep working. Were humans, bound to mess up.

Thanks for your reply!
    Yes, you're totally wright.
    Problem with me is in cases like this I just can't control myself. As if I HAD TO eat all these, I'm not myself anymore :/
    But anyway, I'll try the glass of water trick next time.
    As you said, tomorrow is a new day :):)

I'm a binger...big time. First off, always record the binge. That is eye opening. Even if you don't try to do anything to stop it. Record it and feel the results as you go through the exercise of putting each calorie/item in your diary. Then, try to do better next time AND, most importantly, get right back on track. Don't let one night's binge derail you, especially from any exercise program. While 80% of what you do for weight loss is away from the gym, I feel the act of going, working out etc eventually brings you to a point where you can't overeat and feel ok about going to the gym because you will be bloated, sluggish etc. While it could work the other way, meaning if you feel bloated, sluggish etc you WON'T go to the gym, I've found it works best to make myself go and the eating gets under control. I want to eat better after a workout. Finally, practical advice during the trip to the cabinet or refrigerator or drive thru lane. Try to understand what you are doing, try to understand the consequence, and go ahead and eat something. But try really hard to make it a better choice. If I'm craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I'll try to go with a few peanuts. Or, half a wheat thin with a little bit of peanut butter on it instead of making a whole sandwich. If I'm at In n Out, I'll get the single cheeseburger and no fries and no spread vs. double double with spread and french fries. Just try to always make better decisions. You'll find yourself actually driving away from the fast food place to go get a boneless/skinless chicken breast lettuce wrap, or opening up the refrigerator and having an apple instead of the piece of pie.

I'm no expert. I'm just doing it one day at a time (actually, 97 days in a row!!) and learning as I go. This is my 10th attempt at losing and I have no illusions that there might be an 11th. But, for some reason (exercise, higher level of commitment, losing for the "right reasons" ) this one feels different. Small victories, never a finish line, and just try to be better tomorrow, especially if you weren't today. :) Good luck.

Thanks for all the great tips.
    I really feel the same way about exercising. And I did not exercice today. But I did the last 4 days. Must be related.
    97 days in a row...you're my hero!!
  • remcobob
    remcobob Posts: 2
    Options
    Find and read "Sugar Blues" by William Duffy and "Food Rules" by Michael Polland.(both on Amazon).

Sugar, salt, and fat trigger the happy portion of the brain. They becomes addicting like heroin. This is why it is so hard to stop because your brain needs that fix. It takes months to go off and not crave that high (takes 3 years to not want a cigarette after quitting). Use Food Rules as a guide, just add one chapter into your life at a time and it will make a difference (Real food does not come out of a window).

Remember, there are guys (historically guys) that spend their lives figuring out how to get you to eat crap that costs them pennies (sugar, fat,salt) and hook you on it so they can make money off of you. They really are callous about this. They won't feed it to their children, they know better.

It's not about calories, it's about your health and quality of life,

Good Luck

I'm 67, 5'8", got out of basic training at 160 lbs, up to 204 (about 8 years ago, a slice of Costco pepperoni pizza for lunch every week day for about 2 years), down to 182 about 6 years ago (hiked Mt. Whitney) down to 157 now, heading for sub 150 in about 2-3 months.

I don't eat out unless absolutely necessary (too much food and salt, doesn't taste good anymore). No milk (casein, whey,cheese, yogurt,etc.), no added salt, no wheat (cheek breaks out, allergy I think). It is very hard to change but once you get it, it becomes obvious. Try to find bread that doesn't have milk in it (Trader Joe's only has ONE loaf of wheat bread that is milk free but I switched to rice based bread recently anyway).
  • hunger4love
    hunger4love Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a terrific binge eater. Seriously, I should get an award or something.

I think I try to numb out with food. I definitely binge in response to stress and loneliness.
    And then comes the shame and guilt and fear and there I am, bloated and uncomfortable at the gym, doing an hour of cardio and hating myself the whole time....

It's a vicious cycle. I'm a woman of extremes.

I binge in response to loneliness and then feel so ashamed of myself that I isolate myself. It's sad.

I am trying to view feeding myself as an act of love and see food as a blessing, which it is.

Just today I decided to allow myself to eat more every day. I'm increasing my calories from 1200 to 1600. I think the deprivation of dieting contributed to my last (2 weeks) long binge. I regained everything I had lost. So this time I'm going for slower weight loss - a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

And, as others have said, keep the junk out of the house. I wish I had more control over this, personally. My roommate dumpster dives and brings home insane amounts of crap that I would never in a million years have at home if it was just me living there (seriously - dozens of cupcakes, pies, things like that). Oh, and he loves to make homemade ice cream and white bread. And he totally doesn't get my food issues and why it bothers me that he fills the cupboards and fridge with empty calories. SO. FRUSTRATING.

But yeah, show that body some love. Good luck!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am getting much better at stopping my binging. I weigh myself every morning and I know that if I start a binge, it gets bad and the next morning I will be sad and mad!! I can feel a binge coming on and need to get out of house or area I am in. I need to really think about why I am doing this. Usually boredom.

I take baths, chew gum, drink hot tea, walk on treadmill anything. If I do binge, I make sure to get right back on track the next day even though I feel like crap for a few days. I get on the scale and make sure to think about the increase and how it makes me feel. I have reduced the binges to one per month MAX!!!! This is great for me. My goal is to be able to go out, eat a little of something and STOP!!!!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Probably the best reply of this entire post!!!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I defiantly love to binge however the one thing I find that stopped this is going to the gym, I can go in there craving everything under the sun then leave not caring! I've tracked my diet ad exercise over the past 3 months and the pattern shows that when I have not gone to the gym (usually between 5.30-7.30) I eat a lot more and a lot worse, this is probably due to being preoccupies with something else other than the fridge when I get back from work! I ten eat about 7.30 and alow a desert after it
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I was a health food binge eater. I didn't finish quarts of ice cream. I ate fruit, yogurt, veggie soup, tofu, tempeh and whole grains.
  • weeto1
    weeto1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

This is exactly where I've ended up. I get a craving for an unhealthy snack, pause, get some water, stop thinking about the temptation, sorted!