Heart Rate

Options
Hello everyone,
I have been working out 4-5 times a week and I keep an eye on my heart rate to make sure that I'm getting in to my fat burning zone and that I bring it down enough during my cool down phase of my workout.

My question being, does anyone have any thoughts as to the accuracy of the heart rate monitors found on the grip bar of the treadmill and elliptical gliders at the gym or is there better accuracy found in a watch that monitors your heart rate continuously during your workout.

Thanks for any and all input.

Replies

• calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The HRM on the machines in my gym are accurate to what my Polar HRM says. It really depends on what the brand of the machines are, and you might just need to cross reference with a HRM to be sure.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have a midrange home elliptical and found it to be pretty accurate to my polar chest HRM as well. Just way slower to get a reading and not much good for continous monitoring if your are trying to estimate cals burned over an entire cardio workout.
  • elbjr12
    elbjr12 Posts: 8
    Options
    I bought A HRM and it was not ecxact to the equipment I was using,but not that far off. The gym equipment ask for my weight and the one I bought does not. I figure thay was why it was a lil off for the calorie's burned.
  • demoine
    demoine Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the response!
    Obviously no real need to spend the money.