Age is no excuse

Options

Replies

• juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks Deb! I don't post much but I do watch your activity every day. And thanks for the shout out to everyone working hard to get to their goals!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Deb!! I'm very happy to be on this list and your friend list! We all rock! :drinker:
  • lynn413
    lynn413 Posts: 40
    Options
    Awesome job to all of you and I agree....Age is no excuse!!
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Great post Debbie, and thanks for being one of my wonderful friends:) I think Success Stories was Just the right place to post this. I certainly want other ladies in their 40s and up to be encouraged and know that they absolutely CAN lose weight and be healthy! I had pretty much given up at being able to lose weight anymore. What a great motivation and encouragement all my friends on here have been to me!

And you are right...lol....no bikini in my future, but I am so much stronger and healthier (lowering my total cholesterol, raising the good, and dramatically lowering my triglycerides) ....not to mention happier and more at peace with my body.

My 50th birthday is three weeks from tomorrow. If someone had told me how different my body would be this year from last, I would never have believed them. It's the best birthday gift I could ever have hoped for:)) Praise be to God!
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great post Debbie, and very inspiring. Glad to be among your mfp friends.
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    Great post....nice to see ladies in there 40's and beyond getting fit and healthy! Gives me great motivation to see all your successes! Feel free to add me!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and degenerative disc disease (2 herniated discs). It was time to face the fact that I could no longer act like a 20 year old with a super metabolism and boundless energy.

I'm looking forward to spending the next 30+ years enjoying life more than I have in the last 10
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You are all doing great! I wasn't sure whether to put it under Motivation or Success, and decided on Success. Because you are all succeeding!
    Keep up the great work!
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I thought the Success thread would be the right place for this post, as I am going to brag on some of my 'seasoned' ladies on my friend list. They are showing that just because you are older, doesn't mean you have to give up on getting healthier.

Today marks one year for 2 of my friends

63 yo- lost 98lbs so far, 30 left to goal

52 yo- 118 lbs down, 22 til goal

There are many other ladies that are around 45 or older on my list that are achieving fantastic results as well. I didn't realize just how many there were until I started going thru my list. Here are just a few that are over halfway to their goal weight.
    Many are at goal. In addition to losing the weight, many of these ladies have reduced their needs for BP and Diabetes medications, some have run 5 and 10ks or more, some have gotten into body building and have sculpted their bodies in amazing ways.
    All of them are getting their lives back and have a second chance at a healthy life, and to enjoy their children and grandchildren.

56 yo- 152 lbs down- 8 lbs til goal
    64 yo- 52 down, 25 to goal
    79 yo- down 12 lbs with 2 lb to go
    65 yo- 25 down, 12 to go
    59 yo- 26 down, 21 to go
    49 yo 33 down 21 to go
    54 yo- 50 down 25 to go
    52 yo- 67 down 29 to go

43 yo- 88 down 4 to go

42 yo- 38kg with 2kg to go (not sure how many lbs that is- multiply by 2.2 I think?)
    54 yo- 41 lbs lost, altho she only set out to lose 27! Can you say over achiever?
    46 yo- 30 down 12 to go
    50 yo- 51 lbs down
    46 yo- 43 down 25 to go
    50 yo- 27 down 13 to go
    59 yo- 26 down, over halfway to goal
    49 yo- 23 down 21 to go

49 yo- 128 about 6 lbs from goal

43 yo- 41kg 8kg to go

43 yo 75 lbs down in one year- at or near goal weight
    46 yo- 70 down 11 to go

45 yo-124 down 33 to go

58 yo- 40 down 15 to go
    55 yo- 42 down 8 to go

49 yo 99 down 11 to go

41 yo- 47 down, near goal weight

49 yo- 154 lbs lost, maintaining for over 4 months

49 yo 120 down 90 to go
    50 yo- 72 lbs down

45 yo- 158 down, within 20 lbs of goal

54 yo- 73 down, almost to goal
    45 yo- 74 down,halfway to goal

56 yo-103 down 14 to go
    51 yo- 101 down 14 to go

59 yo 45 lbs down
    51 yo-61 down, exceeded goal and maintaining for several months
    52 yo- 52 down 23 to go

51 yo- 78 gone in one year, 2 lbs to goal
    51 yo- 73 gone 17 to go
    49 yo- 71 lost- exceeded goal
    53 yo- 24 down, halfway to goal

52 yo- 60 lb loss, maintained for 2 yrs and has a rock hard kick-A body!
    45 yo- 68 down 50 to go
    46 yo- 56 almost to goal and fitting in her wedding dress from 24 yrs ago!
    48 yo- 64 down 40 to go
    55 yo- 54 down, over halfway to goal
    48 yo- 45 down 13 to go

52 yo- 80 lbs lost, at or near goal

65 yo- 105 down, 45 to go
    48 yo- 91 down 9 to go
    46 yo- 64 down 25 to go
    45 yo- 64 lbs lost (in 8 months) 11 pounds to goal

58 yo- 49 down 11 to go
    45 yo- 49 down, halfway to goal
    51 yo- 15 down, halfway to goal
    57 yo- 13 down, halfway to goal
    53 yo- 12 down, 4 to go
    47 yo- 60 down, 20 to go
    48 yo- 50 down, 3 to go
    49 yo- 33 down, 21 to go

and the superstar:
    51 yo185 lbs lost in one year, 78 to go

I may have missed some, and there are so many other ladies on my list that are well on their way to changing their lives as well, and a few younger ladies that have succeeded and are continuing to succeed towards their health goals. I am amazed at the dedication these ladies have shown.

We are at an age that looking hot in a bikini is not our main goal, or even possible for most of us. (altho quite a few are managing that quite well!)
    We are dealing with health issues that have come along with aging, injuries, and being overweight. We have spent so many years taking care of others, and now we find that we must focus on taking care of ourselves.
    We are fighting for our lives here, and succeeding.

For those of you in your 40s, 50s and beyond, it is not too late to take control of your health. Sure, it is a bit tougher to lose weight and exercise now than it was in our 20s and 30s, but it certainly is doable. These women on my list are just a fraction of the older people who are succeeding on here. I don't have any men on my FL, but there are certainly many of them on this site as well, that are succeeding.
    Find members here around your age and surround yourself with supportive people, who understand some of the struggles you face.

I might add that I have a few younger ladies in my corner as well, who have been a great support for me and others as well.

For those of you in your 20s and 30s, who have lost control of your health, please do not wait any longer before making changes in your life. Trust me, it doesn't get any easier, the older you get. There are also issues with skin elasticity as you age, no matter how quickly or slowly you lose the weight, and no matter how many weights you lift.
    Years of carrying extra weight causes a lot of stress on your joints and your organs. Diabetes, HBP, heart disease, strokes, arthritis, etc, can all be helped, or avoided by having a healthy food and exercise regimen and staying around a healthy goal weight.

I am so glad that I was introduced to this website. Thru the information and support I have found on here, I am over halfway to my goal weight and am healthier and happier than I have been in many years. I was hoping to be at goal weight by my 50th birthday in August, but it looks like it may take a little longer than that, but that's ok. I am steadily working my way towards goal and getting stronger every day.
    I am looking forward to adding my success story to the others on here, as I enter my 50s in style!

I need to be friends with you and ALL of the awesome folks you've bragged about!! I sure needed to read this! I just joined MFP today, I need to lose 30 pounds I've gained due to depression eating since my mother passed away. I'm 47 and I was so afraid that there was no hope for me. You have just put that flame out!! THANK YOU!! I've started working out this week and I'm feeling more confident that the sun will shine on me again!!
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! This is absolutely true and what an encouragement :-).
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well done Deb- from another Deb aged 56 and I have been on maintenance now for a year.

Many people think it is near on impossible after 40. Clearly your evidence shows clearly that this is not the case:)

Well done!
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great post and a big congratulations to everyone on it. As a 50 y.o,. male and down 100 lbs., you are right. It may be more difficult but it is definitely doable. Cheers
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the posting but this is probably better categorized under Motivation and not Success Stories

I definitely think every one on this list represents a SUCCESS STORY--even if some are still ongoing. And if others gain Motivation from this to start or continue then that is also a Success. Thank you for the acknowledgement and the post.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im not listed on that totem pole of awesome!!! im only 38......(walks away sad):sad:

but seriously...why does age matter unless your buying cigaretts and liquor or are out after 11pm.

Thats fantastic!!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    whoops..double post
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Thanks for posting about how fabulous we 'seasoned' women are!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the posting but this is probably better categorized under Motivation and not Success Stories

Why? There is plenty of success in the OP.
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What else can be said but WOWWWWWWW!!!!! what a great idea you are soooo sweet Debbie and thank you for taking the time to do this. I am excited because this month marks a year anniversary of my start date of getting healthy. This Friday I will be posting my complete numbers for this past year and you are so right no matter how old you are it's never to late to get healthy!!!!! thanks once again :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Well done Deb- from another Deb aged 56 and I have been on maintenance now for a year.

Many people think it is near on impossible after 40. Clearly your evidence shows clearly that this is not the case:)

Well done!

That is wonderful! Getting the weight off is the first step. Learning to keep it off is just as important! Good for you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!