Downside of Losing Weight

Options
Some women I work with are so jealous I have lost 30 kgs (70 lbs) they are making my work life a misery. I lost weight about 15 years ago too - different company, different women, same scenario. Its only the overweight women who do this.

Anyone else had to deal with this and how did you cope?

Replies

• syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Those people don't matter, so who cares. Haters gonna hate, you should be proud that you're gaining haters from your hard work.

Make it your goal to get twenty more of them. Wear your weight loss on your chest like a badge. (Don't brag or be an *kitten* about it, but don't feel you have to hide anything).
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Punch them. Jealous brats.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    YES.

I went home recently and saw friends I hadn't seen for maybe 6-7 months, which was before I lost any weight and when I was at my biggest. First of all, the reactions were great and lots of compliments were thrown around, which was really nice.
    However, I went shopping with a friend of mine who is around the same size I was and she would NOT stop mentioning it. When we were in the changing rooms she brought it up and if I complained that I thought something didn't look good she replied with "you are so skinny now, what are you talking about?" like that was all that mattered.
    Don't get me wrong, I love her and we had a lovely day aside from that but the jealousy was very clear to me and it wasn't something I liked as I wasn't trying to rub anything in her face. Simply trying to be a girl with her friend.

I also find that now when I discuss my fitness or diet with people, they want to try to find out if I have an eating disorder or if I am "over doing" it. Which I feel again, is jealousy.

The best thing you can do is take it in your stride and hope that the longer you maintain being smaller, the more people will get over it and accept that's who you are and how you look now. Unfortunately, people who see others lose weight who have their own body hangups tend to do this rather than being happy for others. I can say this as I once was one of these people!
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's sad. You have to let them deal with their insecurities.

As long as work goes- any unprofessional behavior must be reported to HR.
    If it is just eye-rolling, there is not much that can be done but just roll-back your eyes.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Jealousy is a powerful tool if you channel the power correctly. Lucky for me, men don't act that way regarding fat loss. Most are more concerned with other parts of the body ;)

Realize that you are ALLOWING them the power to make your work life miserable. Realize why they are doing it - it's most likely due to you making them question themselves in private about their own health and body.

I am in sales, and I know that people who warn my sales people "I am not buying anything today!" are not telling that to my sales people, they are actually telling that to themselves. In the business I'm in, that is a great thing to hear, because they are trying to fight off the urge to buy - rather than someone who comes in pretending they are interested, knowing they won't buy anyway - so why tell anyone?

These women are trying to make themselves feel better so they don't have to face the music about dealing with their own changes. Change is hard, which is why most people opt for the status quo.

If you show that it bothers you, then they will do it more... It's called Mob mentality. Just smiling or ignoring doesn't work... Give examples of how they act, or what they say, and a well timed knockout line can shut them up.

Stay strong!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Punch them. Jealous brats.

:laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the giggle. :happy:

I just have a problem with my friends when we go to lunch. They ask things like are you sure you can eat that? Or late at night...don't you think its late to be eating something like that? My answer is always NO! I can eat what I want when I want. The time you eat something doesn't matter. I have calories left for the day and i'm hungry so I'm going to eat. So :tongue:
  • katiepbee
    katiepbee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do know that the office I used to work at the women were always wanting to order out food, not eat healthy at all. It was extremely hard when I would go on lunch with them with my packed lunch that was generally pretty healthy and I would be so tempted to get something else like what they were eating. I can tell you that I actually felt stronger and healthier than them when I would come back from lunch knowing I usually stuck to my packed lunch and they pigged out on really bad stuff.
    I also think it sucks when they try to get you to eat unhealthy, like when we would have office parties and they would bring in so many unhealthy things and if you don't eat it then they say things like, "ohh are you on a diet??" as if it's a bad thing.
    Anyways, just remember that at the end of the day you are living a healthy lifestyle and have lost a lot of weight, which are both things to be very proud of!!!!!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Flaunt it and own it. Wear those cute, small clothes you never could before. Buy some jewelry. Go get a facial treatment. Make yourself the best and healthiest person you can possibly be.

Know that you are doing everything right for yourself and breathe in that positivity. Anything else those people throw at you is garbage and you just don't have time for it.

Congrats on your success!
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had that when I used to go to my regular. After about 7-8 years I lost alot of weight. Alot of girls didn't like it although in my scenario it was also the skinny girls that was hating! I didn't let it bother me it made me feel good!!! :happy:
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    They weren't true friends to begin with obviously, but I'm sure it's still sad for you. Hopefully you'll find new REAL friends soon. Don't let them discourage you, you should be proud. :-) I like the quote...

"There is no surer way to the dislike of men, than to behave well where they have behaved badly."
    --General Lew Wallace (Civil War General and author of "Ben Hur")
  • kalolina2
    kalolina2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to have that problem. Keep doing what you are doing!!!!!
  • sdalton06
    Options
    Bask in the jealously and compliments. It is oh so sweet.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Meh, you are there to work. Ignore them.. be your best, do your best, continue to be comfortable in your skin.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The only downside was that at first I was cold all the time...I probably had the heater in the car on 3 or 4 times a year two years ago, now it's on every morning. I still think the air is Nippy, and I live in LA. It's funny you mention women at work...several women asked me the "secret"...what's the secret??? What are you doing? They really didn't want to hear that I stopped eating McDonalds like a pig, and that I exercise at 330AM and ride a bike like a mad man on weekends...they wanted to hear about acai berries, or magic tea or some other BS. The dudes at work were much more positive...today a guy jokingly said..."damn dude, eat a meal every now and then, will you?"
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    They're just jellymad bishes. I tend to be quite blunt so I usually just say "Don't be mad than I'm skinny and you're a gigantic ham beast planet. I can help you come up with a diet plan if you want." This way I get to insult them/make them more aware of their fat as fatassness while also offering a solution. Another solution is to lift your shirt up/take your shirt off, flex and dance around a bit and say "You 'mirin, brah?"
  • Talkeetna2020
    Options
    I actually refused to start dieting at first because people at work were making fun of my weight. And for some stupid reason I thought that losing weight would make them feel like they did the right thing by pushing me.
  • Foleydelphia
    Options
    Consider it a backhanded form of flattery, because in essence, that's all it is.