How to firm excess skin?

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Do something about it now.. keep eating right, exercising and reading. I like your last sentence.. that's a great beginning. Plastic surgery should be the last thing on your mind because no amount of surgery can fix bad eating habits.. even people who get those gastric bands have to change their eating habits.

Best of luck to you.. just have patience, perseverance and maintain your determination.
  • crzybeautiful11
    Options
    I have been fat most of my life and I'm tired of it! The only time that I was ever thin was when I was two years old. I don't want to be this size when I'm thirty, so I'm sorry if I'm going a little overboard with the weight loss thing. I refuse to continue to be fat!

Many of us are on MFP because we refuse to continue being fat, and opt for a healthier lifestyle. Working out and eating right is the answer. 5 lbs a week is a little much, to be perfectly honest.. And definitely not healthy.
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I heard that it's fine to lose more if you have a long way to go. I started at three hundred and twenty pounds. I'm now down to 293. When I get to 200, then I'll slow down.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    lose weight slowly to avoid the saggy skin as much as is possible. I know from experience.

^^^ This

It's not a race, lose it slowly, try to keep as much muscle mass as possible by lifting some weights and making sure you get a good amount of protein.

You can lose it fast - but that way increases the risk of loose skin - in the long run is it really worth it?
    ^^^ Exactly this
  • mlbqd3
    mlbqd3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I want to fit into a bikini by next Summer. The only way to do that is five pounds a week. I just need to figure out how to avoid the skin flab...

Honestly - think about how you want to look forever - not just next summer, and once you get closer to your goal you won't be dropping 5lbs a week.

Slow really is better in the long run - if you keep up 5lbs you also lose a lot of muscle and your daily calorie burn will be lower, making it even harder to reach your goal body.

^^^^^^^THIS THIS THIS THIS^^^^^^^
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I have been fat most of my life and I'm tired of it! The only time that I was ever thin was when I was two years old. I don't want to be this size when I'm thirty, so I'm sorry if I'm going a little overboard with the weight loss thing. I refuse to continue to be fat!

Many of us are on MFP because we refuse to continue being fat, and opt for a healthier lifestyle. Working out and eating right is the answer. 5 lbs a week is a little much, to be perfectly honest.. And definitely not healthy.

At her weight, it's possible to lose weight that fast even eating a very, very slight deficit. I would consider a 5lb loss in someone under 200s to be very unhealthy.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    100 oz water

Cocoa butter in the morning and evening
  • mona_patty
    mona_patty Posts: 170
    Options
    I was afraid of sagging so I took my weight loss slow. I wanted to be committed for the long run not just a few months. So far so good.... I was/am losing an average of 5 lbs a month. I strength train 2x in the beginning but now I do it 3x a week
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier.
    Eat more.
    Cardio less.
    Hydrate more.

That's about the best chance you have to let your skin rebound naturally. It's not a race to your goal weight.. Or at least it shouldn't be.

I agree with this!! It has taken me a little over a year to get 70 pounds off. My skin is not to bad!!
  • eonni
    eonni Posts: 7
    Options
    This is not a race.

Weight Loss is a temporary goal, but being healthy is permanent.
    If you lose that fast, chances are, summer comes, you'll be unhappy with your body shape cause you'll be saggy, and a 99% chance that you'll gain it all back because of unsatisfaction of the way you look.
    Plus, you will lose muscle, which is..you know, important for...toning muscles and firming skin.

Anyways, 5lbs a week is not healthy. Overweight or not.
    It took a while to gain it, its gonna take a while to lose it whether you like it or not.

Slow&Steady wins the race :D
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options

You're very young, and I had that same way of thinking at your age too. Well now I'm in my 30's and FINALLY doing it the correct way. I wish I hadn't been so hard headed back in my younger years, then maybe I'd be where I'd wanted by now. But Noo... I wanted it by a certain date/event/age. That's why I never reached my goals, I expected too much too soon.

It's a process, and you have to allow time for your body to make those major changes. It will be totally worth all the hard work & dedication you put in in the long run. And when you're my age, you'll be so grateful you took your time to do it right!

Good luck!
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Strength training! There are a lot of success stories from women on this forum. This is one that made me re think what I've been doing. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/890322-because-weight-lifting-made-me-bulky?hl=lifting+made+me+bulky

There is also a book that you can find called the new rules of lifting for women.

Searching the forums can be helpful too!
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    Have you seen the biggest looser? They loose a lot of fat in a short amount of time and the larger contestents have a TON of loose, saggy skin. Why? Because they lost it fast.
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    And to echo the lifestyle/age discussions... You are at a great age to build a lifestyle that creates a healthier you. Go for this option! It's practice and perseverance and changes that have to become routine. I know a lot of women who started crash dieting in their twenties, and all it did was start up a brutal cycle of starvation/exhaustion, and then regaining when their brains could not handle it (nobody's can). But think lifestyle, sustainable, fun... And love yourself along the way because loving yourself will motivate you. Good luck.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The scars from skin removal are extreme.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    set yourself up for success.
  • necqua01
    necqua01 Posts: 5
    Options
    5 pounds a week doesn't sound bad. What we are forgetting is that the weight you lose weekly can depend on your body type. Someone that is 300lbs may lose 5lbs each week as opposed to someone that weighs 160lbs losing 2-3lbs per week
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The scars from skin removal are extreme.
    I agree. Scarring all over your body is not a good look in a bikini.
    You're still young and your skin is more elastic than an older persons. Why have major surgery when a bit of patience and effort can get you the same if not better results?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    My professional experience has shown me that usually any weight over 80lbs lost will usually result in loose skin. It may retract some, but genetics and age are going to dictate it. It may not shrink back. At this point, surgery is really the only option, unless one is relying to putting back on some weight and muscle to help reduce it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jackedphilosopher
    Options
    Lift heavier.
    Eat more.
    Cardio less.
    Hydrate more.

That's about the best chance you have to let your skin rebound naturally. It's not a race to your goal weight.. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Solid advice