What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• sdalton06
    Options
    Ok that came off really wrong. My apologies. I'm not saying I looked good at a heavier weight. I have plenty of stretch marks to remind myself daily of what I used to be. And I guess I didn't think of the users here that are overweight because I don't really associate the users with whom I'm speaking of since you all are doing your part to not be part of the epidemic. Again, I apologize.

And this is why I don't typically post on forums. Yikes.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Exactly why I switched to whole food, plant based 2 months ago - no meat, no dairy and no oil. My son (10 yrs) asked if he could eat as we did -they liked some things but I could not switch them fully (ages 10 and 6) to full WFPB - he had a Rips Big Bowl today and whole wheat pasta with the 365 organic pasta sauce - lots of fruit, homemade ice cream with frozen bananas - cannot believe he is eating as we are - I worry so much with the food they eat b/c oil is in everything among other things - my daughter is more adventurous with fruit and vegges so we are getting there :)

Are your kids getting sufficient protein?

protein.gif

So it's chicken and beef that got you to the point of needing to lose 150lbs?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Exactly why I switched to whole food, plant based 2 months ago - no meat, no dairy and no oil. My son (10 yrs) asked if he could eat as we did -they liked some things but I could not switch them fully (ages 10 and 6) to full WFPB - he had a Rips Big Bowl today and whole wheat pasta with the 365 organic pasta sauce - lots of fruit, homemade ice cream with frozen bananas - cannot believe he is eating as we are - I worry so much with the food they eat b/c oil is in everything among other things - my daughter is more adventurous with fruit and vegges so we are getting there :)

protein.gif

:laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

protein.gif

Wow, that's pretty f'in rude.. a lot of people gain weight after having children, had I not had children, I know I wouldn't have had the need to really lose weight. You don't know her reasons for having to lose weight.

The photo raises a good point.. it's not like we are seeing lean meats in this image.. instead it's fried chicken drumstick and milk. Very healthy... :huh:
  • sean_d33
    sean_d33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think the obesity epidemic falls right in line with our desire to play the victim...It is the American way.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Yes, as a matter of fact, it was. I have only been vegetarian for the past four years - and all the weight I lost has been since deciding not to eat meat.

That was a rude and uncalled-for snide remark, despite being phrased as a question.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    obesity= poor advice in the mainstream and stupid cult like dieting trends...

/thread
  • servilia
    Options

protein.gif

Wow, that's pretty f'in rude.. a lot of people gain weight after having children, had I not had children, I know I wouldn't have had the need to really lose weight. You don't know her reasons for having to lose weight.

The photo raises a good point.. it's not like we are seeing lean meats in this image.. instead it's fried chicken drumstick and milk. Very healthy... :huh:

Umm if we're that sensitive we can argue the image is rude, saying that ppl who eat meat are all obese.
    I had a child too, exactly 7 weeks ago. Gained 60, have 30 left to lose. Any excess weight after 1 yr pp can't be blamed on the pregnancy anymore.
  • pinelakecutie
    pinelakecutie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's also another side to the 3AM shopper story, though. I'm a fan of shopping late at night for a similar reason: Less people to judge. The big difference is, I buy lots of fresh produce, lean meats, dairy staples (butter, milk, cheese), and the occasional frozen pizza for nights I don't feel like cooking. People still give my romaine hearts and bell peppers scathing looks and would smirk stupidly after giving me the up down. Yes, I know I'm fat. I'm beyond fat, at 245 lbs. I AM the obesity epidemic in America! But making fun of me for TRYING to make better choices, while their (skinny OR fat) *kitten* is loading up on pizza rolls and little debbie cakes is more than I can handle.

As to OP's question: I think that the obesity epidemic is a combination of willfull ignorance and laziness and the idea that food feels good. I didn't get to be 268 lbs because I didn't know any better. I got that way because I like to eat. Cheeseburgers taste good. Being lazy FEELS good. Eating a cheeseburger while being lazy is the best!

We can make excuses all day long, blame it on our fear culture (KIDS DON'T PLAY ANYMORE BECAUSE STRANGER DANGER) or our capitalist culture (BUT I HAVE TO BUY THIS PIZZA IF THEY KEEP ADVERTISING IT) but when it comes right down to it, it's the culture of stupidity and pleasure that we've fostered that's led us to what we are now.

"Ohh, but healthy food is less easily accessible and is more expensive". False. I spend about $20 less than what I used to a week at the grocery store. It's really simple to read labels. It's even simpler to get things without labels (produce, meat). If it's in a box, you probably shouldn't buy it.

"Fast food is so much more convenient and cheap!" Really? Because I have to get in my car, waste gas to get a $2 cheeseburger, which I also have to wait for. I could have spent that 20 minutes baking salmon and steaming vegetables. It's THAT FAST. And better for you.

"But I don't like broccoli/asparagus/green beans/potatoes/cauliflower" Well, I hope you like heart attacks.

In the end, the power to lose weight is within ourselves. The power to not get fat in the first place was also there. We ignored it because deep-fried cheese dipped in ranch tasted better.
    [/quote]

Awesome post. Great points.
  • servilia
    Options

Yes, as a matter of fact, it was. I have only been vegetarian for the past four years - and all the weight I lost has been since deciding not to eat meat.

That was a rude and uncalled-for snide remark, despite being phrased as a question.

I found the picture snide and rude. Are you saying all us meat eaters are fat?
  • zillah73
    Options

Odd. You don't look like any one of the cartoon caricatures in that picture. Hmmm... it must have been a personal attack against you.
  • zillah73
    Options

So you're saying everyone who is vegetarian is at a healthy weight?

Just wanted to point out it's about a calorie deficit. If it helped you achieve that, then that's good. Same can be said for low carb such as atkins.

Nope, not saying that at all. Heck, Oreo cookies are vegan. It's just an image that has always made me laugh because I get asked so often myself if I get enough protein and it's often by people who aren't experts on nutrition, macro nutrients, etc.(although they aren't always holding a fried drumstick, either :laugh:) I don't know why it is... may never understand it... but it's probably the thing I hear second most often whenever someone asks me about not eating meat.
  • daisyterp
    daisyterp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel sad for the children. The decisions are being made for them, they have no control over their food, and are creating horrible habits for adulthood.

Wow...I saw so many children today, little kids who were absolutely obese...:cry: It's shocking!

Look at what is in baby formula. It is gross. Huge link there. Not getting the right enzymes and bacteria in the gut immediately after birth.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Have I got this right? Are you saying that you eat fried drumsticks and consider that a significant source of protein compared to other meat options out there? You obviously have interpreted the photo wrong
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of all the whining about school lunches in U.S. public schools. It is your responsibility to feed your kids, not the school's, not society's at large. If you don't like what the school offers, you have a crap ton of options, ranging from sending your kid to school with his own lunch all the way up to getting involved with the school board so you can play a role in determining what food the school brings in. The last thing we need is more levels of government stealing more money from taxpayers that can be further mismanaged by a bunch of institutions that are mostly just glorified daycare centers anyway.

I'm a public school teacher and I agree with some of this. Specifically that parents need to take initiative and start feeding their own kids. The cutoff for receiving free and reduced lunch is laughable. People come into the school to sign their kids up carrying their iPhone and driving a freaking SUV. If you have either of those things, you should be paying for your kids' lunches, not the taxpayer. Because you can afford it. Then you can make better nutritional choices for your child.

But then you called schools "glorified daycare centers." Have to disagree. I raise other people's kids. Literally. I teach them their subjects, but also how to do everything else. Because their parents sure as hell don't teach them. They dump them on us and forget they exist.
  • sean_d33
    Options
    I'm sick of all the whining about school lunches in U.S. public schools. It is your responsibility to feed your kids, not the school's, not society's at large. If you don't like what the school offers, you have a crap ton of options, ranging from sending your kid to school with his own lunch all the way up to getting involved with the school board so you can play a role in determining what food the school brings in. The last thing we need is more levels of government stealing more money from taxpayers that can be further mismanaged by a bunch of institutions that are mostly just glorified daycare centers anyway.

I'm a public school teacher and I agree with some of this. Specifically that parents need to take initiative and start feeding their own kids. The cutoff for receiving free and reduced lunch is laughable. People come into the school to sign their kids up carrying their iPhone and driving a freaking SUV. If you have either of those things, you should be paying for your kids' lunches, not the taxpayer. Because you can afford it. Then you can make better nutritional choices for your child.

But then you called schools "glorified daycare centers." Have to disagree. I raise other people's kids. Literally. I teach them their subjects, but also how to do everything else. Because their parents sure as hell don't teach them. They dump them on us and forget they exist.

Agreed! Like everything else it comes down to people taking responsibility for themselves and their families. So really the conversation we need to have is what qualifications do you need to bring another human being into the world...let's start at the root of it all ;-)
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

protein.gif

Umm if we're that sensitive we can argue the image is rude, saying that ppl who eat meat are all obese.
    I had a child too, exactly 7 weeks ago. Gained 60, have 30 left to lose. Any excess weight after 1 yr pp can't be blamed on the pregnancy anymore.

Like I said, your interpretation of the image is not what you think it is. Good for you if you are some super mom who has the perfect genes and mindset to lose weight 7 weeks post partum but everyone is different.. especially Mom's who had c-sections where more healing time may be required. Most women lose half their gained weight after having their baby so I wouldn't go out of my way insult others if I were you.

Your posts are just really rude and it's really sad to see a new Mom so judgmental. Two wrongs don't make a right. No need to insult other folks who are in the same boat as you. Btw, I am a proud meat eater but I understand what the message is in this image. It's clear some don't.
  • sean_d33
    Options

protein.gif

Like I said, your interpretation of the image is not what you think it is. Good for you if you are some super mom who has the perfect genes and mindset to lose weight 7 weeks post partum but everyone is different.. especially Mom's who had c-sections where more healing time may be required. Most women lose half their gained weight after having their baby so I wouldn't go out of my way insult others if I were you.

Your posts are just really rude and it's really sad to see a new Mom so judgmental. Two wrongs don't make a right. No need to insult other folks who are in the same boat as you. Btw, I am a proud meat eater but I understand what the message is in this image. It's clear some don't.

The photo is easy to interpret. It shows the arrogant, smug attitude of the preachy vegan culture very well.
  • servilia
    Options

protein.gif

I'm no supermom. Most of that 30lbs was just water weight and the baby etc so it's not like I'm so awesome. It's just that a lot of the weight drops off right away and I know I'm gonna have to work damn hard for the rest of it.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm starting to eat healthy and exercise.
    This is why I'm a nutrition student.

I want to be a positive influence for my future children.

It's disgusting that there is an abundance of obese children.