HELP!!!

Options
What do you do when your job stresses you so much that all you want to do is eat? I sit at a computer for bout 75% of the day, we have started a new computer system and the stress is getting to me. Any suggestions on how to turn my mind away from food?:frown:
Additional Info about my day:
wake up at 330am

fix breakfast: oatmeal and toast, bowl cereal, breakfast burritos-egg whites, refried beans, diced tomatoes w/ chillis

start work at 5am, spending about 2-3 hours in front of a computer doing reports and completeing orders. Sometimes at this point I have about 2 tbsp mixed nuts, whole wheat crackers, or something to snack on.

first break at 815am- i have a piece of fruit, a cup of yogurt, cottage cheese fruit fluff, or a cereal bar

830 to 1130- I am up and down from computer. I ship out ups small package orders and go back and forth between computer and moving boxes.

1130-12 is lunch- I usually have a great value ultra slim shake.

12-145 I usually spend about about 1 hour in front of the computer for orders and then the next 45 mins up and down.

145-2 is last break- i will have fruit, apple sauce, crackers, etc

200-230 i am sitting again and then 230 to 330 or so i am bouncing up and down.

my work day ends at 330 normally (but sometimes we work 1-2 hours over)

I come home and try to exercise. It is difficult if I work over because then I feel drained.
If I do exercise I try to get at least 30mins-60.
I eat supper about 6 or 7. Watch includes hamburger or chicken or brats, baked potatoe, and another vegetable, or spaghetti, or hamburger helper.

Then I am lucky to get in bed before 10.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I know I need to by a decen pedometer so I can keep better track of my steps at work.

I also take a multi vit, a b complex vit, chromium vit, vit d and a vitamin to help with joint problems as I have occasional knee stiffness.

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Get up and take a walk. Put a rubber band on your wrist and snap it when you want to eat. Drink more water. Deep breaths. Read up on meditation and hypnotizing yourself, and take 5 minutes to do that when you're freaking out. That's probably the best idea, and it's AMAZING how much it helps.

And don't forget to call and vent to friends and family. We all need to release that frustration somehow!

Good luck :smile:
  • fromPuertoRico
    Options
    I am on vacations, but the fall semester is going to start and I am afraid about that. My doctoral degree studies make me to be on the refrigerator or in fast foods =( Ironically, I am studying psychology and all these stress and desire to eat eat eat is psychological ... well but it is super mega very hard to work with ourselves
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    bring carrots and cucumbers and grape tomatoes and bell pepper strips to keep at your desk... that way, if you want food, you will have healthy, very low calorie options...
    good luck!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a stress eater too and work is my most difficult obstacle. I sit at a computer ALL day long. I found the absolute best way to keep me from snacking during the day is simply not to buy it in the first place. I even went so far as to leave all monies at home so I couldn't go to the convenience/grocery/general store to grab junk just because I was stressed. So I pack my lunch and smarter snack choices and that's all I have. You can't eat what you don't have.

The other problem with work is that often someone brings in donuts/baked goods or companies send/bring us treats too. Especially around holiday's our office is packed with cookies and quick breads. The absolute worst part about this is that these items are always placed right beside the old fax machine - which is facing my cubicle. So it's staring me down all day long. Then there are the birthday lunches/breakfasts....and the pizza days.

If I have my head on straight those days then I'm fine....but if I'm feeling down/frustrated...then the donuts sometimes win.
  • mcbeth
    mcbeth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I sit at a comp[uter for 8+ hours a day. When I get stressed and want to eat, I chew bubble gum. I've been practicing on blowing double bubbles!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I simply chew sugar free gum and drink cold water.
  • dragonflymd
    Options
    First deal with the real hunger of mid morning, try working more protein and less carbs into your meals and snacks, when I traded my oatmeal in for chicken sausage it and my cereal bar snack for almonds cutting back on snacks got a whole lot easier! Also keep drinking all the time,it keeps your stomach full. I find crystal light helps curb the psychological hunger better than water. Also find flavors of gum that you really like and chew chew chew! I love the pina colada orbits gum it feels like a treat without the calories.

When you aren't truly hungry it is easier to realized what is stress eating and what is not. Then you have to find a way to deal with the stress eating. You need to learn to find coping mechanisms that don't involve food. Even switching to lower calorie foods to deal with stress is a disaster waiting to happen, all it takes is a couple of bad days when you by pass the yogurt for a donut and you're back where you started.
    From the stress stand point try taking a walk or some deep breathing. Anything really that can calm your nerves without food keep a list of things that you either enjoy doing or have to do that you can't eat while you are doing them. When you have the urge to eat and aren't truly hungry turn to that list. Of course a little trickier when you're at work but just be creative perhaps taking a walk around the office or some stretching exercises or deep breathing.
    Good luck!!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have a busy stressful job sitting at a desk all day too. I actually have a reminder set that pops up every hour to tell me to "Drink a glass of water" . . . this not only makes me get in more water but it is also my reminder to get up and walk to the water cooler and do a quick lap around the office hallway. Excellent for the back!
    I also go out for a walk . . . which is actually turning into more of a jog these days . . . every day for lunch, then I come back to my desk and eat while getting a few more things done.
    Getting out of the office and getting in that physical activity mid-day has really helped my energy levels, and my motivation NOT to snack on any of the unhealthy things that are always around the office.
    There is A LOT of stuff in my workplace, typically bad choices of course, but I find that I don't have the desire to "undo" my lunchtime workout with an unhealthy choice . . . so I reach for the fruit, or veggy snack that I've brought and fill up my water glass one more time . . .
  • fromPuertoRico
    Options
    Don't feel frustrated ... feel proud of yourself because of your autocontrol. Everything that is good has its sacrifice =)

I am a pizza lover and one week ago I went to my sister's house. She offered me pizza and I said NO ... minutes later I was like "i want pizza =( why I refused" Then, at night, I was so happy and with clear conscience hehe

Now I feel proud to be able to walk at the mall near the pretzels and my favorite cake ...
    I'm a stress eater too and work is my most difficult obstacle. I sit at a computer ALL day long. I found the absolute best way to keep me from snacking during the day is simply not to buy it in the first place. I even went so far as to leave all monies at home so I couldn't go to the convenience/grocery/general store to grab junk just because I was stressed. So I pack my lunch and smarter snack choices and that's all I have. You can't eat what you don't have.

The other problem with work is that often someone brings in donuts/baked goods or companies send/bring us treats too. Especially around holiday's our office is packed with cookies and quick breads. The absolute worst part about this is that these items are always placed right beside the old fax machine - which is facing my cubicle. So it's staring me down all day long. Then there are the birthday lunches/breakfasts....and the pizza days.

If I have my head on straight those days then I'm fine....but if I'm feeling down/frustrated...then the donuts sometimes win.