Do you tell everyone?

Options

Replies

• pinkperfume
    Options
    I used to but I don't anymore because they next will say, "what are you doing to lose?" They then will tell me I am doing it wrong and THIS is how you do it, blah, blah. Or they say, "you don't need to lose weight, you look good". That does me no good to hear.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I tell people if it comes up naturally in conversation (for example, if they notice my Fitbit). It's something I don't feel the need to hide because I think it's positive, but not something to bring up unless it naturally fits.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Not only do I make it obvious (with my water in hand 24/7, protein bars, and fresh fruit) but I actually put a sign on my office door stating I was "in training" for the Tough Mudder. I need to lose ~70lbs prior to the race, so.....
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying anything to my workmates. I'll just let them notice.
    My wife is on board with MFP and we both started with a trainer at 24hour fitness who actually insisted we sign up with MFP.
    I have a couple friends on MFP and try to comment regularly to stay accountable to them as they check my food log and jazz me.
    I have been reading community posts and am starting to make comments to get involved with people with similar goals who, of course, know what I'm doing but don't know ME.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Honestly, personally, I don't see many pros except if anyone asked me advice I would give it, but no one has. The cons are hearing all about the latest diet or boring people.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My family knows that I'm trying to lose weight because they are all overweight (except my dad). I'm not overweight, but I just want to lose the belly fat and get fitter.

I was almost at my goal weight last year and people at work noticed I was toning up. I told them I was counting calories and going to the gym. So many of them told me to stop losing weight because I was either too skinny or didn't need to. I worked every Sunday and I would treat myself and have a croissant for breakfast and my supervisor would always say "how can you lose weight when you eat things like that?" I found it made things harder because even though I was doing this for me, their frequent comments would get me down.

I've since started a new job, but I'm not going to tell people unless they ask, just so I can avoid those annoying comments
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep it to just family and other friends that are trying to get fit.

In the past when I have been open with some of my female friends, I end up getting lectured about being "perfect just the way you are", which usually leads to them lecturing me about anorexia. Everyone just assumes I have to be mentally ill to want to get fit, but I'm far from self-loathing. I actually love my body most of the time and I want to be the best that I can be. This seems to be a concept that many of my female friends struggle with understanding. I believe their concern for me is legitimate, and I try not to worry them.

On the other hand, my immidiate family (half of them work in health) and my fit friends are all very supportive. My dad and my brothers are especially supportive. :)
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My friends and family that are closest to me know because I am around them most and I tell them when I can't have something (that is if they don't remember me saying for before). Then there are the time I tell them I hate them for bringing out the sweets. XD

But in all honest, things like on fb I never post results, just my work outs like my runs with best times or maybe an enjoyable trail ride for my many horsey friends who care. Because I know the friends I keep in touch with online or by phone would say I was fine the way I am. Just like some friends at work who had already been saying that. And I just flat out don't say anything to them about my progress. I get funny about that kind of stuff.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If someone asks or it comes up naturally, I tell them.
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    I haven't told anyone but my partner and my kids.
    I felt my kids should understand what I was doing and that it was not a "diet" and that they should get involved by coming for bike rides when I go walking so we can all spend more time doing positive healthy things instead of sitting in front of the tv.
    My partner had to know because I didn't want him shoving tim tams in my face.

As for everyone else they can sod off. I am not interested in my families bodgy dieting advice. I am so very tired of their passive aggressive fail methodology. I just figured it has nothing to do with anyone else and the giving of unhelpful advice from people who are overweight.... not even having really ever achieved a healthy weight range.... goes against what I am trying to achieve.

Sadly this was reinforced when my walk tracker app connected with fb to post my walking route and how long i had been walking , how many cals i had burned etc etc and the comments from certain family members were just awful, rude and mean.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    No. In fact I've learned it's best to save conversation about nutrition and exercise for MFP.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Why not just let the results speak for themselves?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to tell anyone, they could see it. They saw me walking...then running.... around the streets for hours. They saw the weight come off. They stood there at their windows & watched.... then said "I wish I could do that". I wish they would NOT watch me & go out and do it rather than just WISH.
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone... I find that way I have more motivation to keep it up!!
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone. My family knows I'm eating healthy. Others/coworkers know I eat healthy. And they just don't bug me with offering sweets anymore.

They say things like "hey skinny" no one knows my real name anymore.

But I avoid it at all costs, why? Because EVERYONE is an EXPERT and they all have something to say, yet, no one does it. Except me.

I don't want to hear about how much you think I should weight, or how long it should take me to reach my goal, or what I should and shouldn't be doing.

I learned the hard way.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't go out of my way to tell people. I don't like all of the unsolicited advice I get, or the "can you eat this?" stuff, or the "should you eat that?" stuff. It's none of their business and I don't feel like explaining myself and I'm kind of a private person.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My family is supportive, but I find, most people aren't interested in the details of what I'm doing. After sending people practically running because I just can't take subtle hints that they aren't interested, I try not to talk about it very much, unless
    they are bringing it up, or I have some helpful info for someone specific. Recently, my mil asked me to send her the youtube workout videos I was telling her about, so sometimes, they seem to find it helpful.

The other benefit besides possible support, is more thoughtfulness at family gatherings with food, and if we're exchanging gifts,
    they know I want something fitness related,
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    All of my friends know I'm trying to make gainzzz... that's about it.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about it mostly because I was brought up with the idea that being overweight was not okay and that talking about diet wasn't "polite conversation." My mom knows and at this point, my friends know because they comment on how much better I look. I don't really talk about it though. I'm doing what's right for me and I cannot find a reason to bring it up in conversation.
  • hoffma25
    hoffma25 Posts: 36
    Options
    I make it known, that way if I have to refuse food someone is offering me, they won't be offended. Plus, all of my girlfriends/co-workers at work are all trying to lose weight together. Power in numbers! :)