Potatoes and Bread

Options
Are they the demons some people think they are? Does anyone notice a difference if they elliminate them or curb them. I eat them, I'm married to an irishman and can't avoid potatoes but count it into my calories so dont see what difference if makes then. But curious as to some other opinions.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    2 of the tastiest carbs going, both with butter and your good to go. It's all about how much of these you eat, just like any other food, period and I'm assuming you don't have diabetes or other blood sugar issues.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    They aren't evil. No food is evil (unless you have an allergy or intolerance). Only cut them out if you plan on never eating them again. If you like them, its best to just cut back portions. Generally, it is not what we are eating, but how much of it that is the problem
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter to you what others think of these food items ? You are losing weight eating them, judging from your ticker, so I see no issue. I love baked potatoes with beans and butter sometimes, not so much bread, personal preference.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm eating both...maybe not quite as much or as often...but enjoying them both.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with them, just stay within your calorie targets.
  • tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well everyone is different. I notice a big difference when I stopped eating white stuff...bread...sugar..potato. A lot of aches and pains went away. Less digestive issues and I don't feel lethargic. My husband cut these foods out due to the fact that they where effecting his bloodsugar. Levels and since he stopped his numbers have dropped significally.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat them, but I plan for it so they fit into my calorie goal.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    I've had red potatoes for dinner the past three nights *shrugs*
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Are they the demons some people think they are? Does anyone notice a difference if they elliminate them or curb them. I eat them, I'm married to an irishman and can't avoid potatoes but count it into my calories so dont see what difference if makes then. But curious as to some other opinions.

Both foods are poison. You don't just eat potato. You eat it with oil and sour cream and cheese. Unnecessary nutrients, especially bread. Drop both of them
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have potatoes for dinner at least 4 nights a week. I have just learned to have smaller portions.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If potatoes and bread are demons, what does that make potato bread?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Both foods are poison. You don't just eat potato. You eat it with oil and sour cream and cheese. Unnecessary nutrients, especially bread. Drop both of them

???

No.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

missny-frustrated.gif
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with them is they are relatively high in calories and low in nutrients compared with other food. People tend to reduce these things so they can spend more calories on high protein or high nutrient foods. I still eat both btw, just not too often.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating a potato will make me turn into a potato.. or WILL IT!!!

Water can be toxic in vast quantities.

Portion quantity matters.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Seems harsh
  • bbacskai
    bbacskai Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cut out white potatoes for Lent, and lost 5kg. That being said, I will, yes, I will indeed have a chili cheese French fried burrito on Sunday. Cutting out potatoes is tough. I've gone the squash route -- butternut, acorn, spaghetti, kabocha. I really love the kabocha squash. Which is funny, because my wife has tried to push Kabocha Squash on me for the past few years now from Hungry Girl and I always passed on it.

I think the problem with white potatoes is you don't just eat one, and you don't just eat them plain boiled. Your always adding something into them or frying them up.

5kg lost during Lent. No white potatoes. Think about it.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Potatos are my fav carb I put them in the microwave and eat em like cake LOL.

"How about we stop judging whole groups of foods/macros on what they are and judge them on their own merits and values" -Dr Layne Norton -Nutritionist, World renowned prep coach, and all natural bodybuilder
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    a potato is like 65 calories per 100 grams, that's not bad all things considered. It's less than peas ffs.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    They delicious and are good for you as long as you don't ignore your other food groups (protein, fat). I think moderation will play a good role here. Try to hit your daily recommended amount of protein and fat and the rest can be carbs if you like. As long as you're under your calorie limit, you should be fine :)

Good luck :)