Why hasn't the entire world..

Options
Embraced the idea of putting nutritional information on our menus? It's so frustrating to go out for a meal and have no indication of how many calories are in each dish. I like to be informed about this stuff people! It's not going to make me leave, I'm still eating there! I'd just like to eat the best meal possible (nutrition wise).

And those restaurants who are like "no that has nothing to do with me" (I saw that on a show once).. of course, cause it's not like you sell food... to people............ or eat yourself...........................

sigh.jpg

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Embraced the idea of putting nutritional information on our menus? It's so frustrating to go out for a meal and have no indication of how many calories are in each dish. I like to be informed about this stuff people! It's not going to make me leave, I'm still eating there! I'd just like to eat the best meal possible (nutrition wise).

And those restaurants who are like "no that has nothing to do with me" (I saw that on a show once).. of course, cause it's not like you sell food... to people............ or eat yourself...........................

Because not everyone looks at food as numbers, and not everyone worries about losing/maintaining weight.
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    Yeah, that's fine, but those who don't care don't have to read it, I just want a CHOICE.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options
    Yeah, that's fine, but those who don't care don't have to read it, I just want a CHOICE.

As do the menu writers.
  • swagtier
    swagtier Posts: 53
    Options

Because not everyone looks at food as numbers, and not everyone worries about losing/maintaining weight.

But there's no harm to those who DON'T pay attention if they put the numbers for those who DO.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

But there's no harm to those who DON'T pay attention if they put the numbers for those who DO.

I'm fairly certain you won't die, either.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If i go out to out to eat I already have it in my head what I may want so I just look up the nutritional values online and take the best guess. Honestly it not the restaurant responsibility anyway. And if i go out spur of the moment i just eat part and take home the rest
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

sigh.jpg

I feel your pain :(
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    pretty sure the average restaurant doesnt have to time or the money to get food items calorically tested like mass produced products are... just gives them greater liability and false advertising to get sued... food chains like mcdonalds,subway, and dennys sure.. but not some average breakfast place
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

You know what is good for you and what isnt. If you think McDonalds is "healthy" then clearly there is something weird going on with you to begin with.

Fast food never made anyone fat. The overuse of it did. Fast Food IMO, does not have any obligation to put nutritional labels on anything. Enjoy in moderation. Period.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    well, theres a few variables. In the small mom and pop restaurants or the restaurants where they don't have a set menu since they're not a chain, the menu constantly changes along with how different people make special requests so its hard for the small restaurants to do this. But yeah, I know its frustrating. Believe me, I live in Asia and it is very very frustrating to look up everything online because most of the products here that're mass produced don't even have the nutrition facts in the back like they do in US :(
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    I live in Australia and unless you go to places like McDonalds, there's no nutritional information given at all. For the record, I don't eat at McDonalds... an example would be going to a Vietnamese restaurant. Another state (not the one I live in) is making it mandatory to show the calories in every meal if you're a food provider. I just wish my state was doing the same :(
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    pretty sure the average restaurant doesnt have to time or the money to get food items calorically tested like mass produced products are... just gives them greater liability and false advertising to get sued... food chains like mcdonalds,subway, and dennys sure.. but not some average breakfast place

Seriously this - how do you think you're little local mom&pop restaurant is going to get all that done? And be accurate. As nice as it would be it just isn't practical for anyone but the bigger chains. It seem like it would be easy enough, but really I believe there's a lot of stuff they actually have to do to get that done - stuff that costs money that smaller places might not be able to budget for.

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/display_article.php?id=663352
  • djscanlan66
    djscanlan66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with elly. They just recently made it mandatory where I live. What surprised me most was that a lot of times going by the old standby of ordering a grilled chicken item didn't necessarily mean it was the healthiest item. Now I know what I order is a healthy item without guessing.
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    If i go out to out to eat I already have it in my head what I may want so I just look up the nutritional values online and take the best guess. Honestly it not the restaurant responsibility anyway. And if i go out spur of the moment i just eat part and take home the rest

I pretty much try to do that, sometimes it's rather difficult when they don't list all ingredients or quantities though.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

You know what is good for you and what isnt. If you think McDonalds is "healthy" then clearly there is something weird going on with you to begin with.

Fast food never made anyone fat. The overuse of it did. Fast Food IMO, does not have any obligation to put nutritional labels on anything. Enjoy in moderation. Period.

Very well said.

It only takes common sense to do this.

Pretty sure people were just fine 100's of years ago without nutritional information. (Please don't say food was healthier back then because it wasn't.)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*

Very well said.

It only takes common sense to do this.

Pretty sure people were just fine 100's of years ago without nutritional information. (Please don't say food was healthier back then because it wasn't.)

Food isn't healthier currently either. Its our lifestyle that is unhealthy.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options

I pretty much try to do that, sometimes it's rather difficult when they don't list all ingredients or quantities though.
    I just look up the highest cal version and just go with that. Life to short to worry about every little cal and macro when I go out to eat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think a large fact is that it's very hard to get the information accurate. All the portion sizes aren't going to be identical, no 2 steaks are going to be the same, if the chef puts one spoon or an extra dribble of sauce on something that's going to change to values too.

I think it's fair enough to expect a reasonable description of what's in something (cream, butter etc), but the buck does stop with you the end-consumer in working out what you are eating.
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Honestly, though, how hard WOULD it be?

Most restaurants SHOULD have some sort of portioning system in place anyway. You'd just have to measure out the portions once to know what the calorie count/macros are for each dish assuming that your restaurant employees follow the proper portion sizes when cooking the meals.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    In the time of smart phones - you can use the MFP database to get at least a good estimate on the nutrition content of the food before you order it. Wished I had a smart phone to look up nutrition information before ordering the french onion soup at the restaurant tonight - it blew my sodium out of the water.