Yes, another lifting for women thread

Options
I´m a pre-beginner! I strongly consider to try StronLift 5x5, but want to know some of yours experiences and hear your advice. I know there is a group, but I haven´t read up on it all yet. Sorry if my questions is answered there and I just haven´t read it yet. I´m a 5´3 girl,154 pounds and absolutely no muscles. I´m a weakling! My goal is to lose fat and be toned and to become stronger. So:

A) what are your experiences.?
B) any advice ?
C) I´m a little to comfortable and I´m afraid to lose motivation fast. What about the InnerCircle? Any experiences on that? Or is it just a waste of money?
D) Any pre-beginners out there?
E) I have probably forgotten a lot of my questions, so just hit me with what you got.

Thank you for your time to read and answer this.

Replies

• littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what InnerCircle is, but if you want a way to keep up your motivation, try joining Fitocracy. It's a free website that gives you points for various exercises, and there are levels and quests.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Thank you. InnerCircle is a Gold MemberShip for StrongLift. You get interviews, exercise videos, videos how to do it correctly, monthly magazine as PDF, a community like this, I guess, a exercise log and more, I just have forgotten.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    YouTube form
    Read about form (starting strength book)
    Don't bother with inner circle
    Focus on form
    Follow the 5x5 progressive loading
    Form, form, form.
    Use the 5x5 app.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I´m a pre-beginner! I strongly consider to try StronLift 5x5, but want to know some of yours experiences and hear your advice. I know there is a group, but I haven´t read up on it all yet. Sorry if my questions is answered there and I just haven´t read it yet. I´m a 5´3 girl,154 pounds and absolutely no muscles. I´m a weakling! My goal is to lose fat and be toned and to become stronger. So:

B) any advice ?
    C) I´m a little to comfortable and I´m afraid to lose motivation fast. What about the InnerCircle? Any experiences on that? Or is it just a waste of money?
    E) I have probably forgotten a lot of my questions, so just hit me with what you got.

The stronglifts for women is an awesome group. You should read up on it. I am doing stronglifts and in month 2. I enjoy it

a) My experience has been good. I like the gradual increase in weights. Its not throwing me into heavy lifting which will make me stall after a while. Its slowly increasing my strength level while making sure I learn the form with low weights.

b) Work on your form. Seriously. THE most important thing is to work on your form. Try to get some weight lifting friends (might I suggest looking for weight lifters who give sound advice on the forums?) and ask them questions if you get stuck.

c) Dunno what innercircle is. But I would suggest trusting stronglifts. Its proven to be one of the best programs for many and is highly suggested many times on these boards. If you're too comfortable, give it some time and soon you'll see its true colors when you start lifting serious weights :)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Form, again... do your own research...

dont trust fit people in the gym.. dont trust people wearing shirts with the word "trainer". dont trust your friends.

if you're worried about the mechanics of your lifts have someone take a video with your phone (dont try and watch yourself in the mirror)

I'm never done working on form. It can always be better...

heres a big one I see lots of people not follow

I always take my headphones off for squats and dead lifts... i need full concentration... i think music detracts from proper form on heavy lifts... i often take them off during bench and overhead press as well... they definitely arent doing you and favors during a set.

people often let their form go to hell just so they can lift more weight... this is counterproductive and just leads to stalling.... novbody in the gym knows your lifting 140 instead of 130.... up your weights when you're ready.. dont let your ego dictate your progression, itll screw you...
  • astronomicals
    Options
    another big one... dont add work to the program.. follow it as written...

in retrospect i wish i would have gained a few pounds before cutting my weight so that I coulda built up my musculature and fixed some imbalances.... better hams and better lower back muscle woulda been nice rather that doing 3 months of weight training while in a deficit... it strained my back a bit and I think I woulda been better off bulking first... Btw,, this is coming from a relatively fit guy who could run 7 miles and do 40-50 pushups in a set (when i started)... i wasnt a weakling by any means... That being said, if I did it all over, I would have done at least a month of training in a caloric surplus to begin with..
  • leahartmann
    Options
    YouTube form
    Read about form (starting strength book)
    Don't bother with inner circle
    Focus on form
    Follow the 5x5 progressive loading
    Form, form, form.
    Use the 5x5 app.
    I´ve found the Starting Stregth book on Amazon. Will look into that.
    There is no app for android yet.
    Ok, this is very embarrassing... English is not my native language. When you say "form", do you mean technique or physical condition?
  • astronomicals
    Options
    technique
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Thank you all. I really appreciate!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    A) what are your experiences.? I'm doing sort of a mix of Starting Strength and Stronglifts. So far it's been good. I've progressed much further with my lifting than I did doing New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    B) any advice ? FORM!!!! Learn your form. Read Starting Strength. Watch youtube videos on form, particularly ones by Mark Rippetoe. Form, form, form. Once you think you know it, review it again.
    C) I´m a little to comfortable and I´m afraid to lose motivation fast. What about the InnerCircle? Any experiences on that? Or is it just a waste of money? Waste. Don't bother.
    D) Any pre-beginners out there? I was. Now I'm intermediate and am likely going to switch to Wendler's 5/3/1 once I'm done reading it. And once I'm over this infernal flu.
    E) I have probably forgotten a lot of my questions, so just hit me with what you got. Don't forget to warm up with some sort of cardio before lifting for about 5 minutes. I ended up with some pretty severe hip flexor pain from heavy squats, so I now do some stretches after the cardio warmup and no more pain.
  • jjski88
    jjski88 Posts: 24
    Options

B) any advice ?

Stronglifts 5x5 is for serious body builders looking to put on lots of muscle. I'm guessing that you are not looking to get very muscular, but rather lose the fat and get toned. If that is the case then I would not recommend doing Stronglifts.

What you're looking for is a cardio strength training program that will burn fat, add some muscle, and help you lose weight. yes, technique is important and the predominant way to do that is to work on your core (abs, obliques, and lower back). That is the area you will rely on to keep your form when you are doing your exercises. So concentrate on contracting your core muscles when lifting weights and your technique will fall into place.

I would suggest a program that incorporates strength training and cardiovascular workouts that is high intensity for 30-60 minutes.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    I have no idea what InnerCircle is, but if you want a way to keep up your motivation, try joining Fitocracy. It's a free website that gives you points for various exercises, and there are levels and quests.
    When I read about Fitocracy, it seems to be a kind of replacement of, for examble, RunKeeper. Am I right about this? I apologize if that´s a stupid question.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    jjski88@ When you say "contracting", do you mean to concentrate? Sorry, Google comes up with "giving orders" and I´m not completely sure about what you mean. I´m so sorry to be at so much trouble, I just want to be sure to understand properly. :embarassed:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was videoing myself. Even if you never show the video to anybody for a form check, you can still get a much better idea of what you're doing (wrong!) if you can see it on screen. I also found it helpful to watch lots of other people's videos and try to work out what they were doing right or wrong. It's important to get it right. I went through a stage of not going quite low enough on my squats and by the time I caught it I had to deload and more or less start again. (All I can say is that you need to go lower than you think you're going - lower than it feels! It feels a lot harder when you're low enough.)

I have no experience of the Inner Circle as I didn't think it sounded worth the money. The Starting Strength website has a forum, videos and articles if you're looking for more information. I also found the Starting Strength book very helpful.

My experience was with Starting Strength, which is similar to Stronglifts. I found it a bit easier as it is mostly 3x5 rather than 5x5. (However, doing 3x5 probably means that you are lifting marginally higher weights than you could manage on 5x5, so you need more recovery team and probably all evens out!). Three sets of five lifts, instead of five sets.

With Stronglifts and Starting Strength, I think it's fine to start with very low weights if you prefer, because you're adding weight every workout (3 times a week) and will soon get to the weight that's right for you.

I found that I needed a gym with a power rack/squat rack. My son used to lift the bar for me to squat, but it soon got too heavy.

The Stronglifts for Women group here is great! Do join and ask lots of questions! Good luck!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

B) any advice ?

Stronglifts 5x5 is for serious body builders looking to put on lots of muscle. I'm guessing that you are not looking to get very muscular, but rather lose the fat and get toned. If that is the case then I would not recommend doing Stronglifts.

What you're looking for is a cardio strength training program that will burn fat, add some muscle, and help you lose weight. yes, technique is important and the predominant way to do that is to work on your core (abs, obliques, and lower back). That is the area you will rely on to keep your form when you are doing your exercises. So concentrate on contracting your core muscles when lifting weights and your technique will fall into place.

I would suggest a program that incorporates strength training and cardiovascular workouts that is high intensity for 30-60 minutes.
    Please donot give out bad advice. Women (heck, even men) don't get bulky this easily. Stronglifts is NOT designed only for serious body builders. She doesn't need to only stick with cardio strength training to burn fat. She won't be able to add muscle while eating at a deficit.

Am I to understand that you basically want her to do those video programs like insanity only? If so, while those programs are great, I will once again ask you to not give bad advice since you donot NEED such programs. Stronglifts will work perfectly fine, if not better
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I agree with Taunto^
    But luckily it sounds to me like the op knows she wants to lift heavy and build muscle already and she also did not ask for cardio advice:)
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ^^ totally agree! check out 'girls gone strong' to see all the amazing women lifting heavy and how fantastic they look! follow their links to see all the other women out there. Check out 'new rules of lifting for women'. we can lift heavy and look and feel great and do some cardio on the side if we feel like it! But OP you sound like you know what you want so go for it.
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with taunto too. I've done no cardio for the 3 months I've been lifting (except pushing my son in his stroller!)and I've dropped a lot of body fat and more than a clothes size . I started with a made up hybrid of Nia shanks beginner programme and some other stuff thrown in just for kicks (got very excited and wanted to try lots of different lifts) I was lifting for 1 to 1.5 hours three times a week. As the weight I could lift started to get heavier and my form improved this became far too tiring, I then shifted to using 5x 5 exclusively. It's brilliant! I'm getting stronger every week and its definitely changing my shape. i can also be in amd out of the gym in 45 minutes. Go for it!!!

Edited because autocorrect DOES NOT KNOW BeST!
  • leahartmann
    Options
    A lot of great advices! Thank you so much!!

jjski88@ thank you so much for your input, but I don´t think it is possible for me to become very muscular. I´m build far too slender and I figure it will be difficult for me to gain muscles. I have been here for more than 290 days, done cardio and eating at a deficit and lost 0. Zero, nothing, nada. I have to try something different. But again, thank you for your input and oppinion.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    One more thing... What about diet? I know I have to eat more proteine, but what else? I assume that I will have to eat more, but how much more? My BMR is 1350, my TDEE -20% is 1500-something. Any advice?