How to say 'No' to 'Food Pushers"

Options
124»

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Wrinkle your nose like you don't like that food.
  • Melli_81
    Melli_81 Posts: 13
    Options
    I say "No, Thanks... I'm full and don't really feel like having a cake/cookie/whatever now."
    Most of the time it works.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ''why is it so important to you that i eat a cookie? it's a bit weird.''
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    At school or work is difficult - even harder is at home when a spouse says "No one ever got fat eating only XXXXXXX" -

I have found that using the "I don't stop at just one so I have to say "no" but thanks - it looks wonderful!" works. It doesn't hurt their feelings and gives you some sense of control - and a reminder why you need to say "NO" in the first place. I went on a 3 week binge when someone at work brought in Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups. 1 or 2 of those then threw everything off for me. Finally I am back to eating healthy and am feeling good again - but it was a rough couple of weeks!

Good luck.

The "no thanks but it looks delicious" does not work on my mother in law. She gets mad when I don't want to eat at her house and the reason I don't want to eat is because I am a very picky eater! Haha
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I generally don't turn down a cookie. But when someone offers me something I don't want, I just let them know that I don't want it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ''why is it so important to you that i eat a cookie? it's a bit weird.''

Ha! This is a good one!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Another idea:

"I was going to have a Haagen Daz later, but if I eat that cookie, I can't anymore. Do you want to deprive me of a Haagen daz? What kind of person are you?" :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    "No thank you" followed up with "Thanks, but I'm not hungry". Don't be rude or give further details about your diet or else you'll just get more of the "One won't kill you" comments.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ROFL, some of these responses are hilarious!

My grandmother had a good one: she'd say "I've just brushed my teeth" (she hasdentures). Which was probably the truth and anyway, it usually had a stunning effect on the food pusher.

Love this one. Combined with the, 'I'll take it for later", then sneakily trash it, I think I'm set! Even my Mom would buy that one.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I literally just made a post seconds ago about this same type of thing! Tonight I got pressured into ordering something from McDonald's...

Was it at gunpoint? Perhaps under some other threat of harm? Because that kind of thing is almost always illegal (regardless of jurisdiction) and you should report it.

Otherwise, I suspect it would be more accurate to say that you chose to order from McDonald's.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just say "no" and walk away. No need for a continued discussion, at least that's how I handle saying no to my kids. :wink:

And please, please, please, don't use the "allergy" excuse. People with real, life threatening allergies have a hard enough time being taken seriously without the whole dieting world trying to glom onto it as a way of getting out of eating something that might add a couple hundred calories to their day.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If it is something they bought: Sorry, I'm not hungry.
    If it is something they cooked, baked, etc: That looks wonderful and I wish I could, but I can't.
  • cabernetkitty
    Options
    I say NO to developing a new way to say NO when NO works just fine.
    I love this!!!!

I was at someone's house for a big sit down meal once and my boyfriend's friend was acting like he was going to put a bunch of rice on my plate. I said, "If you put that on here I'm going to dump it onto your plate." It's okay to just say no!!! If it's someone who is very sensitive, just say you just brushed your teeth or that you already had a big donut that morning and want to watch your sugars. Or just say you don't really like those, but thanks.

Again, just saying NO is okay too.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just say no..period.. I dont feel the need to explain to everyone WHY I don't want a cookie....I am no rude..just a no thanks and I move away...most people at work have gotten the message now...when I first started I was real touchy about it but not anymore... I get to eat what is good for me...if I want a cookie I'll get one. I hate the "oh one wont kill you" attitude..I simply respond its not the first cookies thats the issue.. its the LAST one that is" that usually stops them LOL
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    33110506_1131.jpg

^^It's a complete sentence.