I plan on removing most processed foods.

Options
ChrisC_77
ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
Hey all, I have decided to remove the vast majority of processed foods from my diet. This will be a gradual process. I hope to get to the point that the only processed foods I eat are things that are very minimally processed that are natural that the processing does not impact the nutritional benefits. Any advice, tips? Wish me luck!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook if you don't already!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You'll just have to pay a lot more attention to when you buy meat and vegetables because obviously they expire.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I eat very few processed foods--and have done this for years.
    Really, it is much easier than most people think.
    As for cooking, I often steam vegies in minutes---not hard, delicious and healthy.
    Go for it!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's the best move you will make.

Start with easy stuff that you don't really care for. Slowly knocking off an item or 2 here & there makes it very easy to make the shift.
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    you have to cook and then it becomes easy. trying to buy prepared foods is just impossible. that's my two cents and i've been working on this for over a year. Good luck!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do rely on frozen veggies in a pinch. Steamfresh veggies and rice products have no sodium or anything in them. The rice is wonderful. (just don't get the ones with sauce on them). I like to cook roasts on the weekends or turkey breast to have protein available during the week for lunches. I usually have a piece of turkey, pork, etc. and leftover veggies or I nuke a frozen package to take. I don't use butter but will sprinkle some parmesan on the veggies for added flavor.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Great move!

Make your fresh food choices as convenient as possible. For example, I make up a container of fresh fruit salad so that I can easily eat plenty of fruit. My fruit salads change with the seasons so they vary throughout the year depending on what is in season.

And buying in season is also cheaper, so learn what is in season when and keep your eyes out for quality and price.
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Been working towards that with my family as well... it's a work in process and takes time, but it's going in the right direction.... basically going back to the meat, potatoes and veggies cooking that our family did in generations past. I do make lasagna and things now, but from scratch vs buying prepacked. It's doable!! Have fun as you discover a new world of food!!! :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I too avoid processed foods as much as possible, but have not totally eliminated them, especially condiments.
    Good luck to you!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty easy if you know how to cook. I have dug through online websites and my old, trusted technique cookbook from Better Homes and Gardens (1971) and have learned how to cook lots of things. It isn't easy, but it will save you money in the long run.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I did it and feel SO much better. If it comes in a box, I'll pass.

My advice? Start venturing into the world of spices. It makes a huge difference when seasoning chicken breast, veggies, etc. Get yourself a little indoor grill for meat (I can make 2 breasts in 8 minutes on mine, huge timesaver). Fill your crisper in your fridge. More color, the better.
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When buying fruits and veggies, go organic if you can or locally grown. Also, buy in smaller quantities. I've learned the hard way by buying for a whole week and then having it spoil before I could eat it all. Good luck! :smile:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    you have to cook and then it becomes easy. trying to buy prepared foods is just impossible. that's my two cents and i've been working on this for over a year. Good luck!

I get the vast majority of my groceries from a local organic produce supplier.

On their website you can also order handmade frozen/chilled meals and soups made from organic seasonal produce - so it is possible to still buy "convenience" food whilst eating clean.
  • jonnie7053
    jonnie7053 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've just started to do the same, so good luck to you
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else - cook or learn to cook if you don't already do it! get a few good cookbooks and set aside 1 day a week (my day is sunday) for spending a few hours in the kitchen preparing meals for the week. i always like to have a few good soups/stews in the freezer to have on hand for lunches and stuff. it really becomes fun and eventually your tastebuds change and you lose the desire to eat processed junk.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook if you don't already!

The above quote, and invest in a pressure cooker/canner. By making some of my most often eaten items (e.g. chili, chicken soup, etc.), I have been able to control fats, sugar, and especially salt. Oh....I freeze home made bread also because of the salt in commercial breads. I make up 3 month quantities of an item for a canning run which minimizes the time spent in the kitchen over the year.
  • kkendall11
    Options
    I attempted to eat in such a manner for about a week and found myself to be miserable. The advice I would give you is that typically you feel worse before you feel better. Stick with it and your body will begin to function more efficiently! Try not to deprive yourself to much or you will bommer rang. Best of luck to you!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I attempted to eat in such a manner for about a week and found myself to be miserable.

That will be the sugar and salt withdrawals!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal.

8488541.png