Non-food hobbies

Options
What do you do to relax that isn't eating? I realized that's what I was going (uh-oh)! I have plenty of 'busy' hobbies already (like volunteering, exercise, crafting, etc.) so please tell me something that provides that same kind of by-yourself relaxation/peace/lazy comfort. Thanks!

Replies

• deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Reading often helps me. If I'm upstairs and get really into a book, I won't want to leave it and get up to go to the kitchen for a nibble.
    I also knit (I know you've said you do craft anyway), which I like because it keeps my hands busy and I don't want to risk getting crumbs or grease on my wool!
  • AJPolka
    AJPolka Posts: 2
    Options
    Reading, Knitting, Painting, doing my nails or trying a face mask, video games, movies
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Reading works for me too. Watching TV is usually a no-no for me because it tends to induce munchies. I think this is due to the fact that Hubs and I eat dinner while watching a movie...plus I love watcing cooking shows.

When it's nice out I like going for long walks. When it's not so nice out, I'll do yoga or really take my time doing the week's food planning and shopping.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and play vidyas. No, I'm not a 16 year old boy lol.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I go horse riding which I love and console/pc games
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    nail art. i do a LOT of nail art. usually a fresh set once every 4 days or so. keeps your hands out of commission for at least an hour!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Sewing!!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym, swing kettlebells at home, read, look at art, watch films, listen to music....etc.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I knit, usually whilst listening to an audiobook, or watching tv or with friends (other knitters)
    Or if I have plenty of spare time on my hands and not much to do, I will take advantage of my gyms 2 hours free parking, and go an hour there, and an hour wandering around the high street. Admittedly usually buying food!
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love to read, at home on my couch, when it's nice out I'll take a book along to the river with lots of nice benches to relax on.
    Going for a walk with some good music on my iPhone is great to relax as well, and if you take your time you can explore and see a lot of unexpected wonderful things.

It's not really a 'hobby', but I love taking a long and really hot bath if I want to completely turn my mind off sometimes.
  • bongobongobongo
    bongobongobongo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hama/Perler beads, if you like that sort of thing.... I find it pretty relaxing, and you can make some really cool designs,big ones or little ones, so you can fill out the time you have.... I like to make themed drinks coasters lol :) (and ikea do a cheap version which is just as good (pyssla)