Potatoes and Bread

Options

Replies

• TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I adore carbs, but I NEVER lose weight whilst eating them. I can only seem to lose weight if I keep them around 20g a day
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've recently found that (white hehe) toast with honey is a great pre-gym snack and also great when I'm over my fat percentage and want to bring it down a bit! Best low-fat snack I've found so far. :D

As for potatoes, I eat those, just less of it. Mash, in stead of two helpings, I'll have one, etc. I've been losing weight fine eating carbs.
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I gave up/cut down on carbs about 6 weeks ago. The reason I gave them up was that I was so damn tired all the time...I could sleep 12 hours and still have to drag myself out of bed.
    I was also a stone over what I wanted to be. So I read this book about being tired all the time and it suggested cutting down the carbs.
    This brought me onto reading the Atkins book. Iv never 'dieted' in my life btw and would keep well away from any fad diets but I was curious about the whole carb thingy.
    Anyway decided to give it a shot..I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks and my energy went through the roof.
    I have Stabilised at 9st but look like I weigh less. My muffin top has gone and Im leaner all over. And as for my energy levels, Iv washed corners of my house that havent been touched in years, lol.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Are they the demons some people think they are? Does anyone notice a difference if they elliminate them or curb them. I eat them, I'm married to an irishman and can't avoid potatoes but count it into my calories so dont see what difference if makes then. But curious as to some other opinions.

Both foods are poison. You don't just eat potato. You eat it with oil and sour cream and cheese. Unnecessary nutrients, especially bread. Drop both of them

Seems harsh

Perhaps, But look at this forum thread. Everyone who eats these foods either has to watch how much. plan for it and not eat something else because of exceeding their limits, etc... We programmed to eat crap, that's why we are here in the first place. 2/3 of us overweight for one reason or the other. Because government tells us food pyramid is good, because FDA allows manufactures to put 0 fat on a oil in a spray can, etc... UGH!! Would you not rather eat 5 cups of high-density low calories veggies and fruits in the place of potato or bread?
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If potatoes and bread are demons, what does that make potato bread?
    Two negatives make a positive? So they cancel each other out?

I like your train of thought. You must be a software engineer with Computer Science degree, like me :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Lets break it down.

Breads. They come in many various forms. White bread tends to be bleached and then enriched by adding tons of vitamins in artificially. Whole wheat tends to be less processed and holds onto the natural vitamins. Beware though, many times a company will bleach it, enrich it, and then dye it back and call it whole wheat thinking they can pull a fast one on you. This is mentioned in the ingredients list. If you do not have any digestive issues with wheat, such as gluten intolerance, then they are fine for you.

Potatoes. They tend to be fairly higher in calories than many vegetables true, but they are not horrifyingly so. The extra stuff added usually is what causes them to be unhealthy. Their processed versions such as french fries surely give them a bad rap. They are very starchy which can increase insulin levels quite a bit. This is not a problem for most people. If you believe in meal timing (Growth Hormone release within the first 90 minutes of sleep being countered by high insulin levels), then you'd want to avoid them a while before bed.

For both, I'd say enjoy them if it fits your macros and calories and also prepare them in healthy ways.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Potatoes do get a bad rap, but I love 'em! They are a complete protein (albeit 4-5 grams of protein) and have loads of potassium! Better than a banana! And you don't have to load them up with cheese and sour cream. Just recently I made one with braised greens on top and had a foodgasm! So potatoes are here to stay for this one!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Are they the demons some people think they are? Does anyone notice a difference if they elliminate them or curb them. I eat them, I'm married to an irishman and can't avoid potatoes but count it into my calories so dont see what difference if makes then. But curious as to some other opinions.

Both foods are poison. You don't just eat potato. You eat it with oil and sour cream and cheese. Unnecessary nutrients, especially bread. Drop both of them

Seems harsh

Perhaps, But look at this forum thread. Everyone who eats these foods either has to watch how much. plan for it and not eat something else because of exceeding their limits, etc... We programmed to eat crap, that's why we are here in the first place. 2/3 of us overweight for one reason or the other. Because government tells us food pyramid is good, because FDA allows manufactures to put 0 fat on a oil in a spray can, etc... UGH!! Would you not rather eat 5 cups of high-density low calories veggies and fruits in the place of potato or bread?

Untrue. Bread and potatoes fit nicely into my everyday nutrition. I 'watch how much' like I watch how much of EVERYTHING I eat. My wheat toast this morning was not a special treat that I only get because I exercise or because I won't eat an apple later, its just part of my breakfast. PS- the word 'antinutrient' (which I think is what you meant by 'unnecessary nutrients') was made up to sell books, it does not exist in biochemistry.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    do you neet to watch your blood sugar levels? if not, then by all means, eat both both items... but be sure you are getting enough protein and good fat in your diet too.

i personally see and feel a HUGE [positive] difference when i stick to a carb cycle.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    [

Seems harsh

5 cups of veggies vs McDonald's fries or that sweat wheat bread with butter they give me at the Cheesecake Factory? Man, you better get those veggies out of my face.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    After I read one of Gary Taubes' book, for a few years I avoided potatoes, bread, and pasta. For the past month and a half I started including them in my diet again. Weight loss has not slowed down (lost 18 lbs prior to joining MFP) and I actually broken a long stall since joining MFP. Why? Because I'm tracking calories more carefully. Easy peasy.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I eat them just in smaller portions.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options

This post is worthless with out bacon...
  • kim_mcintire
    Options
    I eat both and enjoy them in moderation. You can too!!! Good luck to you!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    [

Seems harsh

5 cups of veggies vs McDonald's fries or that sweat wheat bread with butter they give me at the Cheesecake Factory? Man, you better get those veggies out of my face.

QFT: That sweet wheat bread at Cheesecake Factory is absolutely fantastic.

I'd also like to point out that fruit really isn't low cal by any means.
  • lisabundy5
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If you have potatoes and bread for dinner 5 nights a week I can't imagine anything good coming of it. If you limit what you have and do it the healthiest way possible than there are benefits to a little of everything. =)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If you have potatoes and bread for dinner 5 nights a week I can't imagine anything good coming of it. If you limit what you have and do it the healthiest way possible than there are benefits to a little of everything. =)

I eat potatoes 7 nights a week and pasta in my lunch 7 days a week.

BaconCat_zps6c0e548d.jpg
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    [

Seems harsh

LOL :heart:
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I can only give my own opinion after being on MFP for over 300 days and staying under goal. I rarely ate bread,potatoes,or sugar.
    I recently started adding bread and potatoes in moderation with portion control back in my menu. I missed not having a sandwich on a white crusty baguette or Italian or French Bread.

i grew bored with eating hamburger or hotdog without the bun! Subway sandwich has a place on my menu as long as I stay under calorie goal. I am not afraid to eat white Potatoes with pat of real butter or sour cream because I count the cost of the calories.

I was a sugarholic and kicked the mental/physical addiction 1 year ago going on Atkins induction for 4 weeks. I never knew how much I turned to sugar for the emotional high and ate comfort processed foods as a major part of my menu. I kicked gluten addiction at the same time 1 year ago March 8th 2012. I am now slowly, with portion control adding forbidden foods back in my menu. I battle hypoglycemia and I know bread,white potatoes,pasta,sugar are trigger foods that raises blood sugar so I eat protein with it.

In closing everyone has an opinion so do what you know works for you.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do cut down on bread and potatoes but no I don't cut them out completely and I have been losing weight steadily