First 5k in 2.5 weeks...... Any suggestions?

Options
I signed up to do my first 5k! I have been building up on the treadmill and track for the last 7 weeks and I am able to run a 5k (on the treadmill and track) right at 29 minutes now.

I was wondering if I should do my cardio/run on the course I will be doing for the run?

Should I do anything differently in regards to eating the morning of and night before? I am thinking I should do as I do now seeing as I am doing a 5k+ every cardio session now.

Should I take a rest day, or at least a light cardio day the day before?

Thank you for any input.

Replies

• VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've only run in one and that was 2 and a half weeks :O) I can't give you too much advice as I am still a noob but I am sure someone will come along who is more knowledgeable than I.

I hope you enjoy, have fun, then come back and tell us all about it.

Good for you!!!!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    A nice little 15-20 min jog the day before your race isn't going to hurt your time. In fact it will probably keep your muscles nice and loose. When I ran cross country we always had short, loosen-up jogs the day before our races (which were 5ks.) Just stretch plenty afterwards while you're still warm!

As for doing anything differently, I never EVER try something new the day before a race. Just think- it won't be fun if you try and carbo load in some new fancy way with something you don't normally eat only to discover at mile 1.5 that you are going to poop your pants. I don't think about calories the last couple days before a race, I just eat when I'm hungry but stick to foods that are familiar to my body.

As for running the course first, that's up to you. In my half marathon I did not check out the course beforehand and discovered during the race that there was an ENORMOUS hill on mile 6. Honestly, I was happy not to know or I would have dreaded it so much! But if you're the type of person that prefers to be mentally prepared for every contingency then checking out the course is a good idea.

Good luck!!! 29 is already a great time but I'm sure with extra race day adrenaline you will kill it!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what time the race is, but most are early in the morning. I would suggest eating light... I like an english muffin with peanut butter before my races. As far as the night before, eat what you want just make sure it is not really heavy or greasy... like no steak or hamburger and fries. I do not think running the course is neccessary, however if you have only been training on the treadmill, I would definitely train until the race on the road. The road is a lot different than a treadmill and could make a huge difference in stride, how you are feeling, etc. I would also take the day prior off. Being well rested before the race makes a huge difference! Good luck and let us know how you do!
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had a long response typed out and my thumb clicked the back button on my mouse, lol.

I plan on eating a smoothie, as I normally do, on the morning of the race. I am about to start adding protein powder to the smoothies, but I should know it's affects on me way before the run. I changed up what I ate yesterday morning a little and the results later in the day were less than desirable, lol. I was debating whether to go with a Sirloin with homemade salsa and mushrooms the night before, but now I'll probably substitute the Sirloin for grilled chicken.

I know this is a small run for most, but for me it's a huge deal. I've never ran a race before, never ran as far as I have been at one time, and I am nervous about performing. I'm also the type to set challenging goals for myself and then try to smash the goal. I'm also nervous about not achieving a good result/time.

I normally incorporate a full or half session of cardio/running once a week on a running track. I know this probably won't be the same as running on sidewalks, but hopefully it will help me be more prepared. I think I am going to go to some of the nearby paths and do my cardio sessions on them before the run. I did't really think about the difference running on a different surface would/could make.

I am the type of person who likes to have a general idea of what I am going to be up against. I like to be able to plan for things, so that if I know a hill is going to be coming up I can adjust accordingly and get in the right mindset for it. I doubt we'll have many elevation changes though, as the map shows the course following the river (Although the paths along the river do tend to sometimes go from river level to street level several times, in certain sections.).

Thank you for the kind words, encouragement, and advice thus far.
  • weightliftingchick
    Options
    The smoothie will be good. I usually do a protein bar before a run and have a water bottle ready for the end.
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    From my brother in law who has run many a marathon and recently finished an ultra...do not run the day before, get in some good stretching before bed and when you get up in the morning and start towards the back, if it is your first, so you are not tempted to keep pace with the faster runners (unless you are sure you can).

Good luck.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Getting familiar with the course is a good thing as it allows you to know where any hills are and how to spread your effort.

I do a 5k most Saturday mornings and generally dont eat anything before hand - just a cup of coffee to help kickstart the guts - if you know what i mean!

If you have a GPS or similar device then get to know your pace for each K. Go out hard for the first two k, hold on for 3 and 4, and then empty the tanks on the final K! In the last few hundred, ignore the pain, keep your style and use your arms to drive on. If you dont feel like throwing up at the end then you probably have a bit left to give :)
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    From my brother in law who has run many a marathon and recently finished an ultra...do not run the day before, get in some good stretching before bed and when you get up in the morning and start towards the back, if it is your first, so you are not tempted to keep pace with the faster runners (unless you are sure you can).

Good luck.

After reading about some of the faster runners doing 5k in 12-13 minutes.......I'm good, go have fun with that fellas. lol I'm shooting for a sub 30:00 5k.

I practiced on the actual route today. I wasn't able to do all of it due to no access to start/end point. I did 2.56 miles in 22 minutes though. Right at a 7 mph pace :).
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k last weekend and for prep I ran 2.5 miles the morning before, had chicken and rice for dinner, and pancakes and eggs the morning of. I wanted to carb load a bit (nothing major, just enough) before the run so I had go juice, and the eggs for protein. In hindsight, i wish I hadn't ran the day before, or kept it short and fast. Other than that, and the evil *kitten* who decided that a 75 foot hill right before the finish line was a good idea, I had no complaints.