HIIT - Anyone with Experience?

Options
2»

Replies

• zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If Insanity counts then yes I do HIIT. Except for endurance and stretching workouts, Insanity is 2-3 minute cycles with a 30 second rest. This week I have 3 HIIT days, 2 endurance days, 1 stretching day and 1 rest day. Last time I did Insanity I lost 5 pounds, 3 inches off my waist, and 1.5 inches off my hips and each thigh. Not bad.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I experimented yesterday with this type of workout on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, and it kicked my butt. I slept like a baby, and I have to admit that my clothes feel significantly looser this morning (although that could be from many different things).

I'm interested in finding out if anyone has achieved any successes with this type of high intensity workout.

45 minutes is not HIIT. Maximum time is approximately 15 minutes, if you are able to continue for longer then it's not high intensity, it's just alternating intensities, lol. Meaning you are not at full intensity during the 'intense' bita.

I do, 3 minute warm up.. then 15 seconds blasting and 45 seconds at a normal pace around 6/7 times and then a 3 minute cool down. There is no way I could continue that cyle for more than 8/9 times as those 15 seconds I am giving as close to my 100% as possible.

http://www.brinkzone.com/training-programs/hiit-training-are-you-really-doing-it/
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It has been the magic bullet for me. I do boot camp style classes at my gym, but you can easily create similar workouts at home, etc. Endurance isn't my thing, due to a heart thing, but I can get my cardio in by doing HIIT. It's a beautiful thing. A word of warning: it can be very intense. Listen to your body. If you feel faint, take a break.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I perform a HIIT mixed with plyomentrics. I alternate 50 min on cardio days 45 on lifting. Great results. Dropped 2 pants sizes in about a month.
  • hfester
    Options

I experimented yesterday with this type of workout on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, and it kicked my butt. I slept like a baby, and I have to admit that my clothes feel significantly looser this morning (although that could be from many different things).

I'm interested in finding out if anyone has achieved any successes with this type of high intensity workout.

45 minutes is not HIIT. Maximum time is approximately 15 minutes, if you are able to continue for longer then it's not high intensity, it's just alternating intensities, lol. Meaning you are not at full intensity during the 'intense' bita.

I do, 3 minute warm up.. then 15 seconds blasting and 45 seconds at a normal pace around 6/7 times and then a 3 minute cool down. There is no way I could continue that cyle for more than 8/9 times as those 15 seconds I am giving as close to my 100% as possible.

http://www.brinkzone.com/training-programs/hiit-training-are-you-really-doing-it/

I disagree. It's not called "Maximum Intensity Interval Training," it's called "High Intensity Interval Training."
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I disagree. It's not called "Maximum Intensity Interval Training," it's called "High Intensity Interval Training."

Ok, I did not say it's called maximum intensity interval training -_- Tell us your definition of HIIT then?

I'll just add: my point is that if you are able to continue for 45 minutes, your 'more intense' interval is probably not that intense or 'high'. Now the definition of high is subjective; I am going on the literature and most sources online that clearly state that it lasts around 10 - 15 minutes.

Anyway, up to you what you call it, just thought it's a misleading thread title.. I do HIIT, I love it, works for me as it's short!! :wink:
  • hfester
    Options

Ok, I did not say it's called maximum intensity interval training -_- Tell us your definition of HIIT then?

First of all, I'm not trying to split hairs and I realize my reply might have come off as a little brisk. I am saying I disagree with your position that HIIT can't be done for 45 minutes at a time. I agree with you that it can be done at 100%, as you said, for a shorter amount of time. I don't think that's the only way, though.
  • bidwhist
    bidwhist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This morning I did 60 yard sprints 10 times in 30 degree weather after I did an hour of strength training. Sprint then walk back to the start line. I was exhausted by the time I finished, but I felt damn good.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just did Tabata intervals (a type of HIIT) this morning with the large ropes at my gym. I was running late and didn't have much time to work out, but it only took 4 minutes, and I feel great! I felt exhausted after, but now I feel awesome!
  • kayobracey
    kayobracey Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    absolute best way to shred your midsection. I do 8-10 reps on the treadmill of 30 seconds sprinting and 30 secs walking
  • KKWilson
    KKWilson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love HIIT! Been doing TurboFire HIIT program. 10 weeks in, 13 lbs down, 13 inches gone.
  • Jamie571
    Jamie571 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been playing around with HIIT sprints on the treadmill. I do it 2 days a week for 15-25 minutes depending on how much time I have and how much I want to kick my butt. One day I use a treadmill that goes up to 12mph. On that day I pump up the incline and do sprints anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 seconds depending on the speed I am at. When I am at 12mph and the incline at 7 I am doing 10 second sprints but when I am starting out at 9 mph I do 30 seconds. I usually rest on the sides of the treadmill for usually double the amount of time that I sprinted except for when I am doing 30 second sprints then it is 30 seconds. Sometimes I do negative rest where I am only resting for 15 seconds and sprinting for 30 but it depends on what I feel like doing.

The other day I use a treadmill that tops out at 16 mph and there my sprint times range from 5 to 30 seconds and I increase my rest times when I am in the 15mph to 16pmh range. I have also started sprinting backwards on the treadmill too!! I have hit 7 mph backwards and I am working up to 10mph and see what happens from there.

The great thing about using the treadmill is that you can vary speed, incline, sprint time and rest time. There is no end to the combinations you can do on there and I love sprinting!! I have noticed that my legs are more cut then they were before and I have been doing this for about two months. That is not to say that sprinting is what did it. My diet has been better and I have been doing more lifing as well so I'm sure it is a combination of things. The nice thing is that the sprinting also engages your core and you really have to get your arms moving when you are sprinting at 16 mph :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I ONLY do HIIT cardio - 30 sec sprint, 30 sec rest for 8-10 intervals usually .... LOVE IT! Love my results =)

HIIT is usually not cardio. "Cardio" refers to exercise specifically designed for your cardio-vascular system and that means aerobics. Most HIIT moves into the anaerobic zone. It's still a good idea to do "cardio". Your heart muscle is important too.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I'll just add: my point is that if you are able to continue for 45 minutes, your 'more intense' interval is probably not that intense or 'high'. Now the definition of high is subjective; I am going on the literature and most sources online that clearly state that it lasts around 10 - 15 minutes.

Anyway, up to you what you call it, just thought it's a misleading thread title.. I do HIIT, I love it, works for me as it's short!! :wink:

I've read all the literature on current HIIT techniques, tons of studies, read and practice the tabata protocol (the original protocol, with spin bikes, not the bastardized versions using other techniques without modifying them).
    I'll say this, the definition of 10 to 15 minutes is incomplete.
    If you're targeting one specific muscle group, I'd agree, 1 very intense session of HIIT for 1 muscle group should be about 15 minutes. But that doesn't take into account most current HIIT technique of alternating between upper body, lower body, and other non-anaerobic activity to fill out the time. I.E. you can perform a lower body HIIT set followed, with a short recovery period by an upper body HIIT set and see almost no reduction in performance levels, space them out with shorter sessions encompassing slightly different movements to target different contractions and plains (in order to activate a greater portion of each muscle) and you can easily hit the 35 to 40 minute mark while still staying within the precise definition of HIIT. I do it, many professional and college athletes do it, and it works.

I also disagree with the article's definition slightly. It's not 100% effort required by most HIIT definitions, it's enough effort to push over the aerobic threshold, I.E. usually about 85% or higher of maximal capacity. You can go 100%, but you'll deplete your energy stores faster, and if the objective is to increase top end endurance, 100% of maximal capacity or VO2 max will give you less time in the anaerobic zone which is important if you want train things like your mitochondrial response and capacity.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

It is highly dependent upon fitness level.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

It is highly dependent upon fitness level.

C-C-C---Combo Breaker ^^ I agree that it depends upon the fitness level.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump