Final Straw

Options

Replies

• TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My last straw was when I reached 254 and was dating.... I was telling my mom about this guy and friend was going to set me up with and she said, "does he know your are a bigger girl so he wont be shocked my your weight?" I never thought I was this big...... Until I seen the Christmas pictures. I look like that? I don't feel like that!!!! At 12 pounds down I felt AMAZING! My eating habits are healthy, I no longer eat fast food because I don't like the taste, I exercise.... my back pain is almost gone.... Then came a family function, a baby shower, at 12 pounds down I could tell but could my family.... Nope .... then the pictures ... I still look like a whale, I thought to myself. My face is still fat, I have more rolls than a bakery and while I do look in the mirror and see the changes in my belly and other parts of my body and in how my clothes feel... I hit my last straw everyday because I am not even close to my goal. I feel great and I am sooooo happy for making this change but even now at 17 pounds down, in pictures, I'm still that fat short girl of the family. I feel good about myself until I go out and realize how far I still have to go, its heartbreaking to feel this way.
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My first wake up call was in 2011. I had just finished my senior recital in college and was looking on facebook and found the pictures. I look pregnant!! I could not believe that I allowed myself to get that big. My weight started to rocket when I was a senior in high school and I was pregnant with my son. I gained 50 pounds with him, and he didn't take any of them with him when I had him. I had to come to the conclusion that a change had to be made. I have started so many diets and programs, but I never seemed to stick with any of them. I am tired of being the big one in my family. My mom let it slip the other day that when we go shopping for the bridesmaid's dresses for my aunt's wedding that I am the one who needs to be fitted so we can find a dress that looks good on all three of us. It hurt to think that out of my mom, sister, and I, I am the biggest and I am the one that has to find a dress that looks decent on me in order to find a dress that will work well on all of us.

There are so many people up here who have found the motivation and drive and have overcome so many obstacles and succeeded, that I feel even worse because I have hardly lost anything. These people are part of my motivation, because they are true heroes when it comes to overcoming. The other part is being able to live a healthy life and demonstrating that for my son.
  • tabbyfamcc
    Options
    Hello everyone. (this is my first post and I am exited!)
    My final straw was when my little sister, who is only 13, wrote an essay for school saying how much she admired me and wanted to be like me. All I could think was oh no please don't end up like me. I am 24 and too fat to do anything. I have no confidence and no drive to do anything. I need to lose over half my starting body weight to be have a healthy BMI for my height and age. I happened to read her essay on her 13 birthday (27th Feb 2013) and that day I decided that if she was going to look up to me then I was going to be someone worth looking up to. I had used my fitness pal before but this time I was going to do it properly. I decided to try going vegetarian because I feel it's a healthy lifestyle and have done this and counted calories for a month today and I have lost 12 pounds! I haven't even started exercising but I will when I have lost a bit and feel a bit better about going out in public. I am so happy that my fitness pal exists and that its so easy to use. Reading all the inspirational success stories is a great motivation tool-when I think I could just kill for a chicken burger I have a cup of tea and read through the forums-it really helps!

(Another couple of reasons I want to lose weight is so that when my husband and I decide to have a baby is that when I start to show people won't have to wonder "is she pregnant or just fat?" Isn't that ridiculous? I also discovered Joe Browns clothing website and I fell in love with the clothes-now I am not a shopper or in anyway into fashion-I wear £10 jeans from asda-but I want to buy those clothes and I want to look good in them! Very selfish reason but there you are-that's what drives me!)
  • sbullard001
    Options
    Thank you for your post I just began my weight loss journey and 30lbs since January 1st is so encouraging and impressive. Great Job!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    @OP. I'm going to stop you right there. Don't call it a diet. A diet implies that you are doing something out of the ordinary for a time to lose weight. I think you need to go with lifestyle change, because its more stylish, and its for the rest of your life.

I had a few turning points. The final one that kicked me into high gear was when my grandfather had double knee replacement surgery then stroked as a result of all that. He was laid up in the hospital for months till he passed. It was horrible to watch. I couldn't be the fat dad that had a stroke/heart attack/die of <insert fat disease here>. Aint nobody got time for tat.

Now my work is blocking memegenerator site. so you don't get a picture of sweet brown.
    So you get a super pony instead.
    hero_8050.jpg?resize=530%2C353
  • cstripp
    cstripp Posts: 7
    Options
    My final straw was going for my yearly physical in January. My doctor spent the entire appointment talking about weight loss and the importance of eating healthy. Not two weeks before that, my gynecologist told me that I was at risk of developing diabetes and hypertension based on my hormone and blood sugar levels and that I needed to change my diet drastically.

Before that, I had always been able to fool myself that I was healthy and that I was just "big boned" and "heavily muscled" but no longer. But that really was just the final straw. I finally let myself see that I had let myself rationalize gaining 60 lbs. I'm sick of dreading shopping, never looking forward to the summer and the beach, of hiding behind people in pictures, and of feeling insecure and disgusting. No one will change me except for me.
  • ziggyboys
    ziggyboys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have all given such great reasons to finally draw a line in the sand and say "enough is enought" that you have inspired me to actually post my story. :) My main reason for wanting to lose weight has to be my two boys. I have always been active in sports and have been a volunteer coach for everything they do, be it soccer, baseball, basketball, etc... Well now that they are getting older (teenagers) and the sports are more competitive instead of just fun, I am not able to "keep up" with them and always have to quit way too early. I have never considered myself to really be "fat so to speak" but have been overweight ever since I left college. I am 6"2 and now down to 225 lbs and look forward to getting under 200 during the summer for the first time since college. My wife is making this weight loss journey with me which is great for the support, we have been together for 24 years and have actually registered to do a "Warrior Run" at the end of the summer on our 17th wedding anniversary. I hope that I survive as I have never even ran a 5k in my life but we are embracing the challenge together and trying our best to change our lifestyle for our kids and ourselves. Good Luck everybody on your journey and thank you all for your motivation.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My final straw came about while browsing the plus size fashion store Torrid. Everything was overpriced, which is always the case with plus-sized clothing. Plus, the clothes were of poor quality and didn't look that great. That was the day I decided that I was going to lose weight so that I could shop in the misses section. I know my reason was vain but it has put me on the track of wanting to live a healthy lifestyle permanently.
  • GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This past Christmas I visited my family in another state. I love my family, don't get me wrong, but they are all a little ..."chunky". When I looked at all of the pictures I took over the two weeks I was up there, I couldn't find a single picture where I didn't look HUGE. Not a sible one! Out of about 450 pictures. That, and that I looked back into my photos of me and my girlfriend and I look like I could eat her as a small meal. I was so ashamed. I felt like she couldn't be proud to be seen with me in public (even though I KNOW she would never feel like that). That was my turning point.
  • jaymesjourney
    Options
    I think my turning point was when I stepped on the scale and I was 198lbs. I'm 5'0...I qualified for the gastric sleeve surgery(even had my consultation for it but decided against it at the end), I was on metformin for blood pressure, zocor for cholesterol(sp?), and pre diabetic and I'm only 22 years old!! I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath! Now I'm down to 170 and feeling much better! i still have 50 pounds to lose but I am on my way to my goal and never looking back!!!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Mine was February 2012, just before my birthday. My husband usually takes me out to this fancy restaurant downtown and it is the one time of year that I get to dress up in my prettiest dresses. Well that year nothing in my closet that I tried on looked good on me. How depressing! So to make it worse (I guess you could say), I stepped on my digital bathroom scale. With a shock I saw that it said 193! I never, ever wanted any scale to ever read 200+ with me standing on it. That day I headed to my gym, signed up for their weight loss program, then headed to Best Buy and bought a FitBit. Lost 34 pounds.

Still have a ways to go. Unfortunately I was in a car accident 4 months after the above and I've gained a few pounds back (fluctuates between 5 & 10). I have not been able to workout like I used to because of the pain I'm in but I do what I can. It may be slow but I'll get there. :)
  • Sheacat
    Sheacat Posts: 24
    Options
    You are all inspiring and I love reading your stories. :)

I had several reasons. One being that my daughter starts school this fall (I swear she can't be old enough! Lol) and I don't want to be the fat mom. Second, my husband whom I love so much. He has never EVER said a thing about my weight. He loves me for who I am, not what I look like but after two kids my body was not what I wanted. I want to look good, and I want him to be proud to show me off! I want to attend his work functions without worrying that people will think he ended up with a loser. I want to go into a store and buy something, not have to drive across town to a plus size store and pay more for it!

But the number one reason was over Christmas when I stepped on the scale at my husband's grandma's house...and it said 322. I have hovered around 275 for years and had fooled myself into believing that was ok, but seeing the number as over 300 was the slap in the face I needed. I bought a scale, I joined MFP , started working out and started eating better. I am down 25 pounds and back under that dreaded 300 number! But most important I feel better about myself. I still have a long journey, but I am so grateful that I found this site. I no longer feel like I have to do this alone!
  • jbruck1973
    Options
    My turning point was about a month ago and sort of morphed into the 'final straw' moment over a period of about a week and a half.

First, I got on the scale at work and weighed 190. UGH! I just about died! At my height, I have absolutely no business being that heavy. But as disappointed in myself as I was, I still didn't really kick it into gear until about a week or so later when I got out of the shower and saw myself naked in the mirror. OMG. I burst into tears...wondering how I could allow this to happen to myself.

So, I started rearranging EVERYTHING. No more fast food. No more huge fatty lunches and dinners. No more skipping breakfast. And no more slugging around and doing nothing - it was time to get some physical activity in my life.

The hardest part at first was the physical activity because I've never really been a big fan of exercise. But I've been at this now for about 5 weeks, and I just tell myself that basically ALL fit and healthy people incorporate physical activity into their lives, and why should I think that I'm above having to do the same? It's an hour out of the day, for heaven's sake! Just do it! And it hasn't been easy, but I'm now starting to see some progress and it's absolutely the motivation I need to continue moving in the right direction, and most importantly, NOT GIVING UP!

DO. NOT. QUIT. QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION - UNLESS YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE. That sounds harsh - but it's the harsh reality.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It wasn't my turning point because at the time I was TINY...but in China, a size 4-6 is quite large! lol I was in China and there was an herb shop (your story is what made me think of this! lol) and there was another American guy and his son in there talking to the herbalist. He was asking him questions..."what's good for digestion", "what's good for energy", etc. He's answering his question, LOOKS AT ME..even though I'm not SAYING A WORD...and says "this one good for weight loss....for you....you have little chance of starvation". HUH? lol I have "little chance for starvation" was his way of calling me fat! lol (and yes, I was truly a size 4-6 US)!!
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The final straw for me was going to the doctors when I was sick and the nurse weighed me and she said "Weight 170 pounds...height 5'3..." I work in the healthcare field and I know my weight was to much for my height. I went home and cried because I couldn't believe I had let myself get to be 170 pounds! For a week I didn't do anything but place blame on everything but ME. It was "Oh I am a single mom who just last year was going to school full time and working full time so I didn't have time to eat right." or "Maybe after the new year starts..." then it dawned on me that this way of thinking is what made it happen. So I changed my eating habits, found MFP and am on my way to getting back to a more healthy weight of 135 or 140.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My "final straw" was really looking at my non-compliant diabetic mother who, at the age of 45, is so overweight that she looks like shes 8 months pregnant which is embarrassing and quite frankly she's a disgusting (as far as eating habits are concerned) individual. I fear being like that, I fear my daughter being like that. I'm not a diabetic (thank god), but I am very obese by all medical standards and I'm tired of it.

Mom my has pretty much lost hope in real dieting and exercise, and the thought of healthy food almost repulses her, if it isnt slathered with butter, grease, sugar or fat she isnt about it. Shes one of those people that would rather go get the surgery to take the weight off (gastric by-pass i think?) or try all of these fad diets and diet pills.

I hope that once I start getting closer to my goal that maybe, just maybe my mom will finally decide that she can do this too.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My final straw was a picture of me with my family last christmas. My sister posted it on facebook and I was so ashamed at how fat I looked. I looked like I had exploded. I am only 5' 2" and I weighed about 205-210 alot of weight on a small frame.

I am now happy to say I am down 34 pounds and still have a way to go.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    For me it was my brother's sixtieth birthday party. It was 70's fancy dress, but I couldn't bear to get dressed up as I felt so gross and didn't want to have people looking at me. I just hid at the back of the room in something normal that would fit. There were not a lot of clothes in my wardrobe that would fit. Even my knickers and pyjamas were bursting at the seams. It was June 11th 2012 when I decided enough was enough. I am 5ft 5 ins and weighed 197 lbs. A stretched British size 16 (really an 18).
    I have dieted lots of times before and put it all back on and more. This time it was breast cancer that had caused me to swerve off target. But that was 5 years ago!
    Time to pull myself together. So far I have lost 39 lbs. I don't think I realized how many health benefits I would gain from losing weight. Even my lymphodema has improved. I follow a diet of 1700 - 1800 cals a day including 400 exercise cals. I now feel like a healthy person although I have at least another 10 lbs to lose. I love my skinny jeans, I live my new fitted jacket. I love myself for having come so far. I can do things at yoga I did not believe were possible!
    This is the only place I can brag though- in the real world you have to be careful as there are so many people out there that don't want to know. Most of my friends are now fatter than me when they were once thinner. I keep quiet unless they genuinely want to know.
    I am looking forward to this summer when I should be at target. No more sweaty thighs rubbing together. No more boiling in the heat. No more hiding my arms under cardigans. Even my feet are grateful so I can wear sandals instead of orthotics.
    By the way I am 63 and feel 35 !
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My final straw was a little different from the rest of yours. It seems like seeing pictures of yourself, or your weight, or someone saying something to you is typical. I knew I was overweight. I knew I was some over 200 pounds (turns out my starting weight was 219.8, which was right about where I was thinking). I wore a size 20-22 jeans and an XXL or even XXXL shirt, there was no denying it. I had wanted to lose weight for a long time, but just didn't have the drive to do it.

So, one night my hubby and I are talking about the things we'd like to do in our lives if we had the ambition, time and money. I mentioned losing weight and listed all my reasons (a lot, in my profile if you are interested), but admitted that I just didn't have the drive to work at it. Shortly after, I said I really wanted to take scuba lessons. It's been a lifelong dream. But money is tight and the classes/materials would cost around $300, and then I would have to either buy or pay to rent gear. I just couldn't see spending that much on something that would just be for me. Not to mention, my body in a wetsuit would be horrific!!! Hubby asked how much weight I wanted to lose and I said I wasn't sure, I'd have to see what would get me to healthy. So, I weighed myself then looked up the healthy BMI for my height. Turns out, I had 70 pounds to lose. *Hubby then said "why don't you make that your reward. If you lose 70 pounds, you can take scuba lessons."

I started the next day! lol

I had many reasons, but I still needed that one extra thing. It's been a long road. I lost 67 pounds, plateaued, gave up, gained 45 back, lost 20, maintained, lost 15 more. But I am now only about 12.5 pounds from my goal and I am bound and determined to take my scuba lessons this summer!

One thing that really sticks out in my mind from those first few days is the realization that I was not "only fat." I knew I was fat, but I always thought "yeah, but I'm not obese or anything." I had some idea that you weren't obese until you were, I don't know, 350 or something. As it turns out, my BMI was 36.6, which was not only obese, but "severely obese." It was a real eye opener.

*I just want to add a disclaimer that my husband never, not once, said anything nasty to me about my weight. I was about 135 when we met, but he married me at my heaviest. I know he loves me at any weight, but he also wants me to be healthy and happy. And I wasn't. He's been wonderfully supportive.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well I had never really tried dieting. I had terrible eating habits my whole life, I was heavily addicted to pepsi so I knew that there was no way I could attempt to diet if I never gave up pepsi. I was eating fast food twice a day and drinking at least a 12 pack. I could easily eat 5k to 10k calories in one day. Obviously I would eat a lot of munchies, takis, chocolate milk, taco bell, jack in the box, ect.

I didn't have a breaking point or final straw. My news years resolution was to stop drinking Pepsi. Now I don't care about other sodas I don't drink them anyways, I only had a problem with pepsi. So I gave up pepsi and by mid January gave up fast food all together (haven't had taco bell since December and I really want a potato soft taco). My husband and I got a gym membership but then my grandma died and everybody was crazy busy so i didn't go for the first two weeks. From January to march 15th I have lost 29 pounds. But I just joined this site so I added my current weight of 173 I used to be 201 in January. I had to make a smart and logical choice to give up soda and only drink water.

I did realize I was 28 fat I had no children so why am I not out with my husband having fun? I don't want to be fat in my 30s. Also my mom got diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, she has had it twice in 5 years (first time was stage 1). So I did come to the realization that life hands you enough **** to deal with, with out purposely inducing bad health. My husbands grandma had diabetes and got both her legs cut off, why would we want to do this to ourselves when even in perfect health it could be inevitable? I guess I realized I was killing myself and it was pretty stupid, soda was killing my body making me fat, I was having like 400 grams of sugar a day, its like common sense to not eat like that...

I never toggled with dieting or my weight, I literally decided I needed to stop eating this crap and I did, I started eating 1500 calories a day or less and I started working out and I gave up soda/fastfood....and like magic I lost 30 pounds. Its not that hard. Its in your head.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!