PCOS and weight loss

Options
I have PCOS and have a difficult time losing weight. I've lost 4 pounds in 3 months. I work out regularly and eat right, and my calorie intake is where it should be at around 1300 calories/day. Anyone else struggling?

Replies

• MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    The magic formula is not how much you eat so much as what you eat and exercise and lots of it. If you let me know what you eat in a typical day I can give you some pointers on what's worked for me!!
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I was diagnosed with PCOS, hypothyroidism, and Factor V Leiden syndrome in 2006 and have been very gradually learning how to best manage it since then.

Have you checked with your doctor about going on Metformin? That's what worked for me personally, although I know it doesn't work for everyone. Before that, it was like pulling teeth to try and lose weight. Also, I'd watch your carbs if you aren't already because they can mess with the insulin resistance factor of PCOS. I hope you can find something that works for you!!
  • I am almost 18 years older than you, with PCOS for most of my adult life, and have not had any problems with progress. 157 pounds in 18 months. I don't do any weird stuff, no fads for me as I have done those all before and gained it back. I also eat around 1900 calories a day now, still losing about a pound a week now, and ate 1650 for most of the time. I will say though that I work hard, really hard, when I exercise and that I have found a new love for that. Are you measuring your foods? Are you drinking enough water? Are you eating nutrient dense foods? Those are all places I would start with evaluating what you are currently doing. I will tell you that I fluctuate greatly in a month, stalling and even gaining on the scale from ovulation to TOM but the trend is still ultimately downward. :) you can do this! You just have to find what works for you but I truly don't think PCOS is the issue here.
  • missyrussell81
    missyrussell81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos and struggled for years. In 2010 I lost 75 pounds by watching the kind of calories I ate versus the total number. I fell off track and starting back on it again, but I know how hard and discouraging it can be. Biggest advice I can give is to eliminate as much sugar as possible as well as processed foods. Veggies, whole grains, and foods full of protein will help.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Metformin and lots of exercise works for me. Low GI diets did nothing but make me cranky.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I also have been diagnosed with PCOS and I have other medical issues such as hypothyroidism (Graves disease), autoimmune disorder, etc. However, I think it is a matter of realizing that while PCOS can cause weight gain, that people with PCOS are typically overweight and that you can lose weight just like the rest of the world. I have started 1400 calories a day and workout to burn 600 calories 5 or 6 days a week.

I found this online regarding PCOS and losing weight:
    Eat a high-fiber, low-sugar diet. Load up on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Avoid processed and fatty foods to keep your blood sugar levels in check. If you’re having trouble eating healthy on your own, talk to your doctor or a dietitian.
    Eat four to six small meals throughout the day, rather than three large meals. This will help control your blood sugar levels.
    Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day on most, if not all, days of the week.
    Work with your doctor to track your cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
    If you smoke, get involved in a program that can help you quit.
  • lifeviabrittney
    lifeviabrittney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was told I have PCOS and have since lost 28 lbs in less than 3 months! I went to youtube and typed in PCOS and tried to learn as much as I could and see how other people have handled losing weight!

My Dr did tell me that I need to watch my sugar...because most people have a hard time metabolizing sugar when they have PCOS. I have watched my sugar and calories and have worked out just 1-2 times per week with success. I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to add me if you like!
  • mandi1Bullard
    mandi1Bullard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    congrats... i am also on my weight loss journey with pcos... keep it up!! :)
    I am about to add organic maca root powder as well, ive heard alot of positive things about this suppliment and add me as a friend if you want to see if it hepls ,e through my journey!!
  • blackgirlfit
    blackgirlfit Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    sometimes I feel like I have PCOS based on my symptoms.. ive never been to the doctor for it but i plan on going. here are my symptoms

hairy chin.. like a man. it gets bad
    acne around my jawline, chest, its hard acne it hurts...sometimes i realize i break out when i eat alot of sugar/carbs
    random jolt of stomach pain that hurts so bad i crunch up on my seat
    im 20 lbs "overweight" i should be 145 but im 165
    i have anxiety and depression randomly

my periods are very regular tho.. but ive noticed when there were possibilities of me ending up pregnant, i never got pregnant. i just thot maybe it is "luck" or is there some underlying issue.
  • TehNoms
    TehNoms Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get shaky or anything? I have been trying to figure out what I can eat to combat the shakes that I get. I have been tested quite a few times for diabetes, it runs in my mothers side of the family, and I am ok. But if lets say I eat lunch... a salad and a snack, that snack usually has to have sugar in it, or I get shaky.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    also, there is a PCOS group here on MFP with lots of info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3087-p-c-o-sis

I have PCOS as well, unmedicated, eating a wholesome vegan diet, and slowly losing. for me right now, the missing piece is exercise: i need to step up my game to really get my loss going again.
  • Little_mermaid1288
    Options
    I do get the shakes if I don't eat. I feel light headed. My hands shake the most. The only thing that will make it go away is eating a packet of sugar or something with sugar in it.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My doctor thinks I may have PCOS. I was also diagnosed with non-cancer uterine hyperplasia. So far I have lost about 25 lbs. since 1/1. It is a struggle tho. I feel like one bad week and I could probably put it all back on. I exercise a lot too. I guess we just have to work really hard and be happy with the amounts we get. I am also starting back on metformin. I figure if nothing else maybe it can help me drop 1- 2 lbs. from the gastro effects.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have never had issues losing weight. Did your doctor put you on a low carb diet?

Also, I've always been told that Insulin Resistance causes PCOS. Have you been checked for that too?
  • laralaraethomas
    Options
    YES! I have the same condition and find it very difficult. I recently began metformin 500mg, 2x a day, which I was hoping would help. I have not lost much weight at all and have been staying active and eating 1200-1500 calories a day while maintaining a very clean and high protein diet. It's a real struggle to see little progress when I have changed my habits so drastically. You are not alone!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have PCO too. Glucophage/Metformin will help A LOT. BUT really, as others have said, it's about the quality of the food you're taking in that will help most. Exercise is great to keep from losing muscle and will help in other ways, but in the grand scheme of things, it won't really help with weight loss. I had a physiologist/behaviour coach tell me that "working off the calories" is a myth. It's about 90% what you eat, and 10% other stuff. The nutritionist told me to focus on lean, healthy proteins, and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty much true.

I've also found that the MFP numbers seem to be a little low. I'm actually logging on MFP, and "converting" the info to Weight Watcher (WW) points. I get more food with WW.

But yes, I still struggle with it. Sometimes it's easier than others - don't know if it's the hormones spinning out of control with the PCO or what.