3 days in and up a pound

Options
124»

Replies

• colemanjg
    Options
    Consistency is the key. Keep doing what you are doing and it will come off. I am a lot like you. When I don't see immediate progress I start back with those old ways, which is what got us here in the first place. We must stick to a plan long enough to let it work. You seem to be doing everything right - give it time.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    OK - My first rule is to NEVER weigh yourself more often than once a week. Typically, it will take that long for efforts today to register. Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself that day ONLY and first thing in the morning.

2nd - Make sure you're eating all your calories (even the ones you burn). Going too far will do more harm than good.

I know it's frustrating because I've gone through this many times. I've been on MFP since 2008. I lost all but 5# of weight, hit a plateau for months then gave up because I was tired of working so hard with no results. You know what happened? I GAINED IT ALL BACK! So, looking back... I wish I was just happy with the weightloss I had so far and atleast maintained it.

So... keep trucking - it'll happen eventually.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the key. Keep doing what you are doing and it will come off. I am a lot like you. When I don't see immediate progress I start back with those old ways, which is what got us here in the first place. We must stick to a plan long enough to let it work. You seem to be doing everything right - give it time.

Are you not reading what she wrote? It has been three entire days! That means after completing the first day she was still not at her goal weight and many people would have quit right then but not her. She had the diligence to stick it out for an entire second day. Thinking surely she will have made it by now but no. Now pulling inspiration from the bowels of hell itself she managed to push through for an entire third day only to find that again she has been frustrated by failure. Now after having pushed through all of that you actually suggest investing more time into what is obviously a wasted endeavor?
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great advice everyone but I have one more question. If lsoing weight is calories in and calories out, why in gods name would I eat back calories that I work my butt off to get off of me?

this part has me very flustered. I work out to burn calories, why eat them back. can't you just eat them to begin with and not work out at all.

I can't wrap my head around this concept

Let's break this down:

My (net) calorie goal daily is around 1350 - I set MFP to 1300 just to keep myself on the watch and careful about going over.

My BMR is in the range of 1385 - 1425... My TDEE (when I first started ) was roughly 1830.

Therefore, my daily allowed NET calories of 1300-1350 already INCLUDES a deficit of approximately 500 calories.

A deficit of 500 calories per day will help take off 1 lb. per week. (1 lb. = 3500 calories).

If you don't work out at all you can lose weigh just by doing this.
    It's not a great idea and will probably take longer but it can be done.

So why eat calories back if you exercise? You need them to fuel all the extra activity.

The MFP daily goal should be your NET number. If I eat 1350 calories, burn 300 exercising, then my net calories comes to 1050, which is way under my BMR even. Not healthy. You don't necessarily need to eat back the exact number you burn, but you do need to get SOMETHING back into your body from all of the burning. If eating them all back makes you nervous, do half. Or 2/3. And when you put the calories back, put them back with something of quality and substance like fruit, veg, protein sources. Don't go "hey I earned back 250 calories, I can have cheetos!" Because no you can't.

Basically, if you stay at your goal as a NET number, it already includes the caloric deficit.

Let's put it in easy numbers... say your TDEE is 2000 and you want a deficit of 500 to go for that 1 lb a week loss...

so your goal is 1500 calories per day.

Now say you reach your 1500 for the day but you put in 300 cal worth of exercise/activity...

That takes your net number down to 1200 calories consumed. If you then eat another 300 calories, you have now eaten 1800 for the day, but you've burned 300, you your net is 1500 and you still have your 500 calorie deficit.

Its not a perfect equation and will vary day to day, but you see where the basic formula takes it. You might have only a 400 calorie deficit today but tomorrow you might have a super active day and have a 650 deficit. Do all the BRM and TDEE math and figure out where you need to be. After that it gets pretty easy.

You cannot expect huge results in 3 days. This is a process. I was 154 on January 21 and today I'm 146.5. it's not a huge drop. BUT clothes are starting to fit again, i'm no longer constantly hungry from trying to do 1200 per day - that did NOT work at all and that was a terrible thing to try. Nothing happened for me until I started eating more (and BETTER).
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1) read the road map link please!

2) figure out if you are here to be healthy or skinny- the answer will make a big difference

3) take measurements/ pictures. The scale is deceiving and if it depresses you this much, get rid if it and measure every two weeks

Just so you know I eat around 2400-2600 which includes calories for breastfeeding and working out. I am losing inches and weight. My body is changing so much. I am happy, satisfied, and don't deprive myself.

Educate yourself on TDEE and BMR. Make the choice to be healthy. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options

Are you not reading what she wrote? It has been three entire days! That means after completing the first day she was still not at her goal weight and many people would have quit right then but not her. She had the diligence to stick it out for an entire second day. Thinking surely she will have made it by now but no. Now pulling inspiration from the bowels of hell itself she managed to push through for an entire third day only to find that again she has been frustrated by failure. Now after having pushed through all of that you actually suggest investing more time into what is obviously a wasted endeavor?

LMAO - dude, you're my hero!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Are you flippin joking?? 3 days....dang if you didn't hit your UGW in 3 days, you surely never will.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're working out, then perhaps you are gaining muscle mass? When I started working out and eating healthy I put on 3lbs in less than a week, which I put down to building up muscle after reading up about it, after that iv lost those 3lbs plus a further 8lbs ontop of that in 3 weeks.

Keep up with it, building muscle may sway the scales a little but that extra muscle will help you loose weight (fat) in the long run.

The calorie goal that MFP gives you already has a substantial deficit from you maintenance level of calories. A calorie deficit is what is necessary to lose weight. Some diet plans rely on exercise or a combination of diet and exercise to create a calorie deficit. MFP does not require exercise to create a deficit...it's all built into your calorie goal and MFP doesn't take into account your exercise as part of your daily activity (because it assumes you aren't doing it or aren't doing it consistently). Because exercise is extra activity, that activity has to be fueled...this is why MFP ups you calorie "GOAL" when you log exercise. Remember, it's a "GOAL"...a goal is something to be achieved.

For example...my net calorie goal is 1,900 to lose 1/2 Lb per week (my maintenance sedentary is around 2,150...2,450 with my exercise). On average my exercise burns about 300 calories per day...so my gross calories per day are 2,200...but my net remains 1,900. If I didn't eat those 300 calories back, my weight loss deficit would be too large as I would only be netting 1,600 calories per day...well below my Basal Metabolic Rate (not a good thing).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    3 days and already you want to quit?! Seriously? Did you gain the weight in 3 days?! Suck it up and do the work.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    If you are so miserable after 3 days that you want to give up, you are clearly doing something wrong. Your description of low calories plus high exercise makes me think you are a fan of The Biggest Loser. I would encourage you to pass on their methods because you don't have the personal trainer, dietician, doctor, and team to support you. You don't have the motivation that comes from being on TV, either.

I am willing to bet that you set your own calorie goal at 1200. Here is my simple route to success:

1. Let MPF set your goal for you, and plan to eat back some of your exercise calories. As you lose weight, MPF will lower your calorie goal, but not below 1200 calories for a woman. I don't know if it is the same number for men.
    2. Plan healthy snacks into your day. It is much easier to sustain a positive attitude and high metabolism with more frequent smaller meals.

3. LOG Every Bite! Even if you think it is a cheat, and even if you're taking a vacation from dieting that day.

4. Move more. Exercise is needed. Cardio exercise is most efficient at speeding up metabolism and enabling weight loss. Choose more than one kind of cardio and pick things you like to help you stay motivated. I like yoga, walking, and bike riding. Lots of people like Zumba. There are lots of choices so pick two or three that you like.

Exercise so many minutes burns so many calories. From a calorie pov, you can exercise an hour and burn the same number of calories as if you do the same exercise for a half an hour in the morning and another half an hour in the afternoon or evening. Exercising itself wakes up your metabolism and gets things going each time you exercise, so it is beneficial to exercise more than once a day.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dang, I had a hick-up and posted before I was done. I talked about exercising more than once a day and choosing things you like. Weight training is also a good thing to do because it makes you stronger and gives your body a more appealing appearance. You need to be prepared for the fact that increasing muscle mass increases weight, but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat so although it weighs more, it is smaller.

5. Measure your portions. Portion control rules the world of healthy eating. I bought a food scale and scoops of known volume to measure my food. It really helps. You can eat anything you want if you measure it, record it, and account for the calories.

6. Drink lots of water because it helps to get rid of the weight.

7. Find supportive MFP friends. They really help keep up the motivation.

8. Plan to keep doing this forever. It needs to be a lifestyle change or you'll go back to bad habits and regain the weight.

Good luck and stay with it.
  • rosem1020
    rosem1020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    soilder4242, no need to be rude

I never said i was going to quit. I was only conveying some frustration and I have had enough rude people in my life that I came on this site for encouragment - not insults so thanks but no thanks for you comments

keep hatred to yourself, its not welcome
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I can't take this anymore. Everytime I try to get healthy, not works. I know I only started three days ago but I have been staying at or below my 1200 cal and working out everyday and guess what - I go up a pound in three days. I might as well eat whatever I want while sitting on the couch because nothing works for me. I don't want to give up because I want to be healthy but it gets so frustrating. I come on here everyday and read all the success stories, all the advice and try to tell myself that even if the number doesn't move, I am eating healthier and moving my body but it gets so discouraging when the number never moves down

First of all it has only been 3 days.

Second, scales a liars use a measuring tape instead and only every two weeks.

Third, if you just started working out this is probably happening http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis (Note: scales are liars)

Fourth, 1200 calories with 100 pounds to lose is way to few calories, especially since I am guessing you are not eating back your exercise calories.
  • barryarnold18
    Options
    I heard that your body will need to take to adjust to the new diet and rate may go up or down in the first 3 weeks. I weigh myself at the same time each week - Saturday before breakfast. I do sometimes eat some of my exercise too - but things are happening and slowly the weight is coming off. .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    IF you've attempted it several times now, then whatever approaches you're trying are wrong. So are you resorting back to them?

Here's the reality: Successful weight loss is an actual lifestyle change. It's not a diet, it's not a quick fix, it's not race. You don't win a prize (unless you're in a competition) for getting their as fast as you can. The most successful people I've encountered did it this way:

Consistency in calorie deficit
    Did exercise they intend to do for life
    Ate a way they KNEW they could do for life
    Didn't rush it

Reassess and take a step back. Sometimes then you'll see the big picture. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • soldier4242
    Options
    soilder4242, no need to be rude

I never said i was going to quit. I was only conveying some frustration and I have had enough rude people in my life that I came on this site for encouragment - not insults so thanks but no thanks for you comments

keep hatred to yourself, its not welcome

While I do realize it is just text so there are no visual ques. I was simply trying to convey by means of hyperbole that your expectations are too great given the amount of time that has passed. Let me assure you that if you eat health food in appropriate quantities and you exercise for a long enough period of time these things will become habits.

You will be able to run faster lift heavier and do it all for longer periods of time. The weight will come off and you will be able to keep it off. You have people within this thread and I am sure in your life telling you this. It is the same thing that all of us are going through. I am 25 pounds down and I am proud of that but there was once a time when I was 35 pounds down. I fought hard for that and I lost it. Now I am having to rebuild.

You just have to realize that there is something that you want more that what being overweight allows you. I really didn't want you to just take what I said as rude hatred but rather a funny way of pointing out what I have hopefully explained here. Every single time I have really dug in and got to work the fastest rate I have ever lost the weight at was about 2 pounds a week and that was factored in mathematically over the course of several months.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Please do not weigh yourself every few days. Stick to one day a week at the same time every week. bear in mind that you will naturally have fluctuations but as long as over time your weight goes down that is all that matters.

Some weeks you are really good and your weight still appears to have gone up - just bear with it and keep going.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I stuck with 1 day a week for a long while and found that I actually got better and letting myself go longer between weigh ins. Now I am able go 2 weeks or more. The more time I put between weigh ins the bigger losses I get to post. I think ever other week is working for me right now.