Strong Lifts 5X5 or NROL...which do you prefer?

Options
I'm just starting (well will be starting is more like it since last week was a write of for me with starting...*sigh*) NROL4W but because I have only really done 1 day of it, I still have time so switch programs if I want. I have read the book for both SL 5X5 and NROL4W and I was having a hard time deciding which 1 I wanted to do. They both have great lifting workouts but NROL has a bit more variety but the program is a little more complex than SL 5X5. SL 5X5 is very basic and straight forward. They both seem like great programs...which is why I'm having a hard time deciding which 1 to do.

So, I would like some feedback from all of you that lift for what program you would choose and why?

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I started out with NROL4W, and found it very confusing, lol. I switched to another program - not SL 5X5, but something similar in that it emphasized a few basic compound lifts, and I LOVE it. Basically, it's up to what keeps you motivated!
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Bumping for more opinions?
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No personal experience, here, but a former co-worker had pretty great results using the 5x5 method over the course of a year or so. Another friend of mine has had the best results of his life (after lifting pretty seriously for the last 10 years or so) using the Body Beast videos; these have the added benefit of being COMPLETELY HILARIOUS.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I started w/ New Rules. Stayed in phase 1 for longer than I should have just because I like the basic big lifts. I then ended up switching to bulking routine and once I was done with that I did Strong Lifts. I like basic and simple. That's pretty much what it comes down to. Do you think you'll get bored with the basic and simple? If so, do New Rules. If switching around all the time annoys you, do Strong Lifts.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started with NROL and jumped ship after stage 5 because I got sick of all the accessory moves when I wanted to focus on compound lifts. I switched to Starting Strength which is essentially the same as Stronglifts only you are doing 3 sets of 5 reps instead of 5x5. As a woman eating in a deficit this seemed to make more sense since I am likely to hit stalls a little faster (not eating in a surplus and not building new muscle to handle the ever increasing weight). When you get to really heavy weight it can get frustrating failing out on your reps and having to stick with the same weight for several workouts or weeks. Just something to consider. You can add accessory lifts as well as you get acclimated to your routine.
  • bucketbott
    bucketbott Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started with NROL and jumped ship after stage 5 because I got sick of all the accessory moves when I wanted to focus on compound lifts. I switched to Starting Strength which is essentially the same as Stronglifts only you are doing 3 sets of 5 reps instead of 5x5. As a woman eating in a deficit this seemed to make more sense since I am likely to hit stalls a little faster (not eating in a surplus and not building new muscle to handle the ever increasing weight). When you get to really heavy weight it can get frustrating failing out on your reps and having to stick with the same weight for several workouts or weeks. Just something to consider. You can add accessory lifts as well as you get acclimated to your routine.

I am doing Starting Strength also.

A question for OP: What is your ultimate goal with weight training? If you plan on really getting into power lifting, Starting Strength would be excellent. It's a bit of a technical read, but it goes very in-depth on the basic lifts (squat, bench press, deadlift, press, power clean). If you plan on progressing past a beginner-level program, SS will give you best foundation.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I use Starting Strength, which is similar to Stronglifts 5 x 5. I've read NROLFW and think it's a great book, but for me, the workouts seemed a bit too fussy as it got into the later stages. I still recommend starting with one of the compound lifting programs because I just find them more straightforward and easier to organise. But there's nothing wrong with NROLFW.

There's a recent post by a woman who had done NROLFW and I think moved on to Stronglifts, and when asked, she said if she could do it all again, she'd start with NROLFW as she learned a whole lot of different lifts that she wouldn't have known or learned otherwise, and I think she felt it made her more confident about her own training, and knowing her way around the weight room in general--

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935378-a-lady-who-lifts-1-year-of-progress-pics

Why not read the NROLFW book and see what you think? Perhaps borrow from the library so if it's not something you want to do, you haven't lost any money. Stronglifts is all free, online. So you could easily research that.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I have not done any of them...! I´m just writing because I too have consideret to start lifting. MFP´s advised me to try Strong Lifts- the A and B video on youtube for a starter (they also have a free e-book)- and I will try that out. A friend also recommended NerdFitness. What I´m saying is, I think, that if you need a total beginner to work with, you can add me. I don´t have the possibility to go to the gym for several times a week, but I will do my best. FitnessNerd is exercises, you can do at home, so I plan on mixing those two. But as a friend said, I´m a pre-beginner... :wink:
  • fruitloop2
    Options

I am doing Starting Strength also.

A question for OP: What is your ultimate goal with weight training? If you plan on really getting into power lifting, Starting Strength would be excellent. It's a bit of a technical read, but it goes very in-depth on the basic lifts (squat, bench press, deadlift, press, power clean). If you plan on progressing past a beginner-level program, SS will give you best foundation.

My ultimate goal is to get a lean muscular (but not to muscular...if that makes sense) athletic looking body and maintaining it. I'm not looking to be a body builder but know to achieve the look I'm wanting and lower my bf%, I have to lift weights to get there...and I want to get into lifting.

I use Starting Strength, which is similar to Stronglifts 5 x 5. I've read NROLFW and think it's a great book, but for me, the workouts seemed a bit too fussy as it got into the later stages. I still recommend starting with one of the compound lifting programs because I just find them more straightforward and easier to organise. But there's nothing wrong with NROLFW.

There's a recent post by a woman who had done NROLFW and I think moved on to Stronglifts, and when asked, she said if she could do it all again, she'd start with NROLFW as she learned a whole lot of different lifts that she wouldn't have known or learned otherwise, and I think she felt it made her more confident about her own training, and knowing her way around the weight room in general--

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935378-a-lady-who-lifts-1-year-of-progress-pics

Why not read the NROLFW book and see what you think? Perhaps borrow from the library so if it's not something you want to do, you haven't lost any money. Stronglifts is all free, online. So you could easily research that.

As I stated in my OP, I have read both and I did read that post that you are referring to. Basically, the look of her body is what I would like to achieve. This also why I'm asking which people preferred and why. Because I'm new to lifting, I'm trying to figure out which program would be better for me as a beginner. I do like the simple straight forward-ness of SL though.

We have made an exercise room in our basement and have pretty much everything we need aside from a squat rack but unfortunately we A- can't afford 1 right now and B- don't have the room for it down there so, I will be relying on my husband to help me out for squats and be my spotter for now.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I didn't use either of them. I prefer a split-training method that is based on compound moves, but also incorporates isolation movements. As unpopular as this type of training is on MFP, I've had great results from it, so I really don't care. I train primarily for aesthetics and hypertrophy, rather than solely for strength. However, I have quite a few friends who have had great results with NROLW. All lifting is good. Just find something you like and do it with intensity. :)
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've started NROL and I'm still in stage 1 at the moment. I'm enjoying it and I'm increasing the amount on the weights and I can actually do a decent set of push ups now. I haven't really looked into any other lifting regimes so I can't really be biased to NROL but I would like to think I could keep it up the whole 6 months.
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    just bumping this again...thanks for all the replies so far :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Because I'm new to lifting, I'm trying to figure out which program would be better for me as a beginner. I do like the simple straight forward-ness of SL though.

That, or a version of Starting Strength - http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program - is probably best, if you're new to lifting. Both SL and SS give you considerably fewer things to do than NROL4W. Fewer things to have to remember is better. If you want to later try out NROL4W, then you'll at least have a good base to go from and won't have to learn all the moves.

Personally, I'd recommend either SL or the Practical Programming version of SS - substituting regular- and reverse-grip Lat Pull-downs, if you can't do pull-ups or chin-ups.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I read NROL4W, but found the exercises to be too 'fussy'. So I'm doing SL5X5 which I love. Personal preference - just because I wanted to follow a simple to remember workout. I appreciated the NR book for form though and referred back to it until I was totally happy with my form, but yeah. SL was more my cup of tea :smile: Add me if you like.