My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    "If you do get her declawed, you may also want to rip out your child's fingernails so that they can't scratch themselves. It's only fair."

Seriously?
    Gosh, cat people can be such weirdos.

Not really. Declawing a cat is like ripping the fingernails off of your own hand. Actually it's worse than that. Could you function with your fingers snipped off at the first knuckle? I would rather be weird than heartless by putting my cat through an inhumane and unnecessary procedure that leaves them defenseless.

If I were going around scratching toddlers in the face with my nails when they pissed me off, then maybe yeah, I could see it as a valid suggestion.

You're acting as if the cat is the aggressor here. She's not. The little boy was bugging her, she had no way to escape him and unfortunately she lashed out. You can't corner a cat and expect it not to defend itself. The less drastic solution would be to trim the nails. It's fairly simple and if you're quick enough, takes but a few minutes. I do it all the time. My oldest cat lets me do it with no issue. My youngest screams like a banshee, but since I've been trimming them, I haven't gotten a single scratch in a very long time.

I did say "when they pissed me off" in my previous reply so therefore, it would be a reaction. I wasn't alluding to the cat being the aggressor, so much as having a disproportionate reaction.

I'm glad you're offering suggestions. I'm not saying the cat should be declawed. My point is the analogy is ridiculous.

Also, I'm going to borrow this from the post just above yours here:

"Especially since it's the kid's fault for bothering the cat. THE CAT IS NOT TO BE BOTHERED! If the cat is bothered the kid gets clawed! Your child was just asking to get hurt."
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My mom's cat did the exact same thing to my daughter when she was a baby. That single experience taught her not to play with the kitty. That and I watched her and the cat very closely. There is no reason to get rid of the kitty or make any changes in the household at all. Just teach your baby to respect the kitty's space. It's an important lesson for babies to learn anyway.

*edited to add - Also, just want to say that my daughter is 13 now and adores cats. You don't want to teach the baby to fear cats, but just to respect the cat.
  • Ladyravenwyn
    Options
    I have had several cats over the years and did have one we had to have declawed. They only declaw the front paws, she did really well and most of the other cats in the neighborhood were afraid of her! She was still able to climb using her back feet. She lived to be a ripe old age. I am an animal lover, but I am also a toddler's eye lover :)

Another option might be to allow her some place to "perch" Cats are tree dwellers and enjoy being up where they can observe. She would be out of reach of your toddler and have a space to herself. The cat struck out of self defense and she may actually be less cranky if she can get up out of the way.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I had a four year old cat that I had to get declawed in order to move into an apartment.

I don't think declawing is that bad of an option. They react to the surgery better than people think...The cats I've had done behave as if their claws are still there. however if she's an old cat, she might not survive the anesthesia for the surgery.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious.

The OP is a horrible parent for putting the cat above the kid.
    The OP is a horrible parent for putting the kid above the cat.

It was the cat's fault he got scratched. Get rid of it.
    It was the kid's fault he got scratched. Get rid of it.

The OP is a negligent parent.
    The OP is an animal abuser.

Damn you just can't win, OP.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    once upon a time i decided to get a qualification in dog behaviour & psychology. i worked super hard and passed with distinction. they gave me a piece of paper with gold edging and ****! and then i looked at the world, filled with people much like many of the people in this thread, and decided that trying to teach dumb people about misunderstood animals would be like bashing my head against a brick wall.

so i put my piece of paper away in a drawer and decided to look after grannies instead.

the end.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Trim your cat's claws with clippers (see a Vet or at least a website for how to do this correctly) and then teach your 14 month old to leave the cranky cat alone. He will learn. I had a cat that hated kids. They learned to avoid one another and life carried on.

Remember your cat is just doing what cats do. You knew that when you had kids (I presume grumpy cat preceded the kids). Cats scratch when challened, fearful, or pissed off. That's just what they do. Keep a closer eye on the toddller while he learns to respect the necessary distance from grumpy cat.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yikes you guys are sensitive! I used to pester the cat ALL the time when I was really little and that little feline scratched the crap out of me. My mom would wash out the cut and tell me to stop pestering the cat. There was NONE of this freaking out involved. Give the cat a space or room it can be alone in if you are seriously concerned it is going to do serious damage but its not a wild tiger, its not going to prey on the kids so the real concern is kids being kids and running around pulling its tail and whacking it and all the other things that ANY normal kid would do when trying to play. A house cat is simply NOT going to kill a child or seriously maim it. A scratch, even near or on the eye, is not going to destroy your kid as long as its properly washed (kitty claws are nasty.) There are definitely ways to keep them both safe. Give the cat a space it can be alone, raise your kid to not pester animals. I know he's not old enough yet, but it seriously shouldn't be that hard to separate them. I'm massively perplexed by this entire thread.

:drinker:

:drinker: :drinker:
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

EXACTLY!!!! The thread was very dramatic. Why post a thread here like this when you really should have talked to a parent or dr? Kids are kids and as toddlers, don't know how to treat a pet. They are rough with pets most of the time because they don't know any better. Is the pet just a animal in the house or is the pet a family member? (pet lovers know what I mean by this) Even a kitten will scratch, even more as they are so playful.
  • jpoblete77
    jpoblete77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just be prepared to explain to you child when they get older: I know you have permanent blind spot son, but the cat's claws!! Forget your eye, the cat's claws!!! So cruel, how can you be so insensitive!
  • shellymcshell
    shellymcshell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This happens with dogs, too, so certainly don't pay attention to the "Get a dog" people.

I've been told that when I was a baby, I was "sharing" a cookie with the family dog. The dog, being a dog, tried to eat some cookie when it was "my turn" and bit me in the face. My mother apparently had a fit and Dad had to come home and convince her not to kill the dog (kind of him, because he didn't like dogs anyway). Instead, I got taken to the doctor and was taught to not share food with the dog. I also had to be taught to leave my grandparents' and my aunt and uncle's cats alone because they didn't like me, and they both scratched me at least once. (I've always loved kitties more than dogs.)

Anyway.. I second the people's suggestions to put a kitty door in the door to the cat's safe place, try trimming or Soft Tips, and teaching baby to leave kitty alone. Kitty is family, too, and a new animal would still potentially dislike baby or would hurt him while playing.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    declaw the cat. I am an animal lover and have rescued stray dogs and cats just in case ppl start flaming me.

I would do this.

thirded. Every cat I've ever owned has been declawed & spayed. They were indoor cats.

I've never had a problem declawing my cats. They had no problems with it. I don't declaw the back claws, though. That way if they happen to accidentally get out they still have defenses.

We just got new kittens a few months ago (see my profile picture) and have not yet declawed them. We are waiting to see if they are destructive. Our kids are old enough to learn how to treat animals and when to leave them alone, so I don't have that worry. It would be much more difficult with a toddler.

Another possibility: do you have a family member who would take the cat temporarily until your child is old enough to learn to leave the cat alone? That shouldn't be a whole lot longer.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like these are all poor options. I understand how important it is to protect your child, but you also made a commitment to this cat when you took it into your home.

- Giving her away is probably the best option, but still a piss poor option. There are SO many cats in this world and there are so many cats that are euthanized because of their overpopulation. You are saying you are going to either kick your cat out of your house to another family, uprooting everything it knows, or the other option would inherently have to be giving it to a shelter where it most likely wouldn't be adopted and would be killed.

- Making her an outdoor cat is an easy way for your cat to become dog bait, road kill, etc. She was raised an indoor cat and for you to decide now to make her an outdoor cat is cruel. My last cat came to me as an outdoor cat. He got eaten by a neighbor's dog. I will never let a cat outside again.

- Declawing is cruel. It is removing a portion of the cat's finger (think your knuckle,) not just her claws. You could get those claw caps to cover her claws, but removing them entirely is an awful decision.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that if you got rid of her you'd get another kitten. My kitten is very well trained and very well behaved. The first few months of her life I had gashes all over my arms, face, and legs. In fact, I have a huge scar across my left arm. A new cat isn't going to be any more behaved than your other cat.

What you could do is be a great pet owner, keep your cat, let your child grow up and learn how to be a responsible pet owner, and don't let the cat and the baby close enough to each other for this to be a problem again.

I'm not trying to be rude and I'm sorry if it seems that I am be, but your commitment to your 6-year-old cat can't just be tossed away so easily. It sucks that your child was scratched, but keep them apart from each other and you won't have that issue.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    If the kid is not suprevised put the cat in another room. how easier can that be?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

I'm sorry, but you misspelled "child" in your second sentence.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    once upon a time i decided to get a qualification in dog behaviour & psychology. i worked super hard and passed with distinction. they gave me a piece of paper with gold edging and ****! and then i looked at the world, filled with people much like many of the people in this thread, and decided that trying to teach dumb people about misunderstood animals would be like bashing my head against a brick wall.

so i put my piece of paper away in a drawer and decided to look after grannies instead.

the end.

bad mistake!
    you could have had your own tv show where all the episodes are the same (stupid people treat the dogs like humans and let them be the alphas)
    you could have released your own line of training products and charged $16.99 for a plastic ball!

all you had to do was realize that people are far dumber than animals, and nowhere near as easily trained!
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    WOW... WOAH
    At first I was like "hmm tough question" then quickly turned to :indifferent: :sick: :noway: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

While everyone has a right to their own opinion, I have all rights to laugh my *kitten* off to said opinions...

It is a no brainer for me. I would get rid of the cat. My MIL has a b!tchy *kitten* cat that would go out of it's way to scratch a kid. My MIL also knows that the cat is to be locked up in another room while my child is there. I love animals, always have and I would never ever do anything to harm any animal. HOWEVER, a human, especially my child or spouse, triumphs over any other animal. I am not going to swerve my car and risk landing in a ditch or tree to not hit Thumper or any other small animal. And some of ya'll would probably curse me and plot my death if you knew what I would do to an animal that caused severe harm to my child or threatened severe harm to my child. Let's just my 1911, 12g or 38 would handle situation.

And to the "commitment" to the animal? Yeah, the "commitment" to the child I carried for nine month and birthed WAY outweighs any commitment to an animal that continuously harasses my child.

OP - If this is just a once every now and then type of thing, those claw caps people are mentioning do work... My mom used them on family cat we had when my brother was younger. I don't know if they have improved since then, but I do remember a few of the popping of here and there. However, if the cat is anything like my MILs, there is no way I would keep the cat in the house with my child ( I have a daughter who just turned one). The cat has territorial issues and doesn't know any better and is just acting on cranky natural instincts and I know that there really isn't any use trying to teach a child that young to stay away from mean kitties. You can teach them to respect animals, but words like gentle and not so hard are very complex things to explain to a toddler. But that's just my opinion.
  • meusey
    meusey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Besides the obvious idea of making sure the cat has a retreat place (don't close the door again), maybe monitor your kid a little more. Make sure they know kitty doesn't want to play. Not fair to give up a cat because of a moment of negligent supervision.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There should be no tolerance when it comes to toddlers, declaw her, she need the attitude adjustment. Violence against humans is a one way ticket in my house.

you obviously have no pets or children in your life...And shouldn't, ever....At 19, you have apparently, no understanding of family and or pets....
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This is your fault. The animal was being an animal. Not the cat's fault that your child got in the way of their claws. It's yours.

Someone should give you away.
This discussion has been closed.