My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    None of these options address the real issue, and all of them are, frankly, irresponsible.

Your cat scratched your child because it had no means of escape. You said yourself that the only means of escape (a door) was closed. Big red flags. Your cat didn't lash out for no reason. It felt trapped and threatened.

You need to 1. Teach your child to leave the cat alone. Period. When your child is older, then they can be reintroduced. 2. In doing number 1, you should be able to ensure that your child NEVER traps your cat anywhere. Period. The cat should always have a means of escape, and not just "oh, kitty can go out the door." There needs to be cat trees, shelving, something that the cat can get up off of the floor onto and get out of reach of your child completely at all times. Also, you could probably stand to divert your cat's attention away from the child with more exercise - this is one way that you can reintroduce them later. Make the child part of the play time for the cat. It's part of the bonding process.

Don't get rid of the cat and then replace it with another cat. Just because a kitten grows up with children doesn't mean that it'll like them or that your child won't get bitten or scratched, and you don't seem to understand enough about cat behavior to know why this is happening - so what's going to happen to that kitten when it bites your child? It's going to end up at the pound too. Your cat's behavior is totally normal in a fight or flight situation, and to replace a cat because you can't address the issue at hand is irresponsible. If you aren't willing to address the issue, which is really with your child and the cat's lack of safe space, not with the cat, then rehome the cat and stay a cat-free home. Declawing is an awful practice, and your cat shouldn't be punished.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Cats are awesome, I would get rid of the kid. The cat was there first, after all.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Also, as your cat gets a bit older, the cat will learn to accept the kid. My son used to get scratched by our cat (we've had her for 18 months - she was 6 months when we got her) because he'd want to pet her and she didn't like how he did it. Now, 18 months later, she crawls up on his lap for loving. And my son used to torment this cat - chase her through the house, hiss at her, stomp his feet at her and throw things at her (he started this after she started scratching him). Now they get along fine. My daughter is learning how to handle her too, but if the cat feels cornered, she lashes out. Monitor your child around the cat and wait it out. Your child is young and your cat probably just isn't sure how to take him.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You made a commitment to the cat when you brought it home. I understand that you want to keep your kid safe, but that means making sure the cat has an escape route or a "safe zone". In my opinion, getting rid of your cat isn't an option.

BUT, I'll tell you that I had a cat for 16 years that was the meanest thing that ever lived. He bit me all the time, we weren't allowed to pet him (my husband could sometimes, but never me), often I'd be asleep and would wake up to him biting me through the comforter so hard he broke skin because my leg accidentally touched where he was sleeping. A few times he went nuts and acted feral, attacking us and acting like he didn't know us. We had a vet visit after the first time and they couldn't find anything, the other times we had to have them do a house call to sedate him. No vet could explain it, but the closest thing we got to an answer was that there was just something wrong with his head.

Since we brought him home as a kitten, so tiny he fit into the palm of my hand, we committed to taking care of him. Getting rid of him was never an option.

When I had my son the cat learned to hide, my son learned to avoid the cat, once my son was bitten so hard it broke skin and we had to have a course of antibiotics, but for 4 years we made it work and my son learned not to bother the cat. When he was too young to understand this we used a baby gate with a cut out place in the bottom so the cat could go in and out of our bedroom (his safe zone) and my son couldn't get in there. He died last year of cancer, when he got sick we did everything we could for him because we chose to bring him home 16 years before and that was a commitment we made, in the end he could no longer eat or walk and we had to have him put down. It was really sad, and even though he was a beast, we miss him. I would never get another cat again because of this experience (not a kitten, at least), but when you make a commitment to an animal you don't have the right to throw them away just because you changed something in your life. We moved a lot, we sometimes had to pay more to keep him, we sometimes had to pass up beautiful apartments because they didn't allow cats, but getting rid of our cat was never an option. I volunteer at a shelter and the number of people who take on a pet and then dump it when they decide they want something else in life makes me sick. I met a dog yesterday who was the sweetest thing ever, 8 years old, his family had him since he was a puppy and he never did anything wrong. They dumped him at the shelter because they were moving and didn't want to bother with him, they were just "too busy" to have a dog anymore.

So, make it work.

Sounds like more trouble than it was worth..
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the baby?

On second thought get rid of the cat, with the options you posted, you don't sound like a viable option for the poor cat.

What I got out of this is that you want to get rid of this cat and then get another one?? People like you shouldn't own animals.

Just keep breeding and leave the poor animals out of it.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    You made a commitment to the cat when you brought it home. I understand that you want to keep your kid safe, but that means making sure the cat has an escape route or a "safe zone". In my opinion, getting rid of your cat isn't an option.

BUT, I'll tell you that I had a cat for 16 years that was the meanest thing that ever lived. He bit me all the time, we weren't allowed to pet him (my husband could sometimes, but never me), often I'd be asleep and would wake up to him biting me through the comforter so hard he broke skin because my leg accidentally touched where he was sleeping. A few times he went nuts and acted feral, attacking us and acting like he didn't know us. We had a vet visit after the first time and they couldn't find anything, the other times we had to have them do a house call to sedate him. No vet could explain it, but the closest thing we got to an answer was that there was just something wrong with his head.

Since we brought him home as a kitten, so tiny he fit into the palm of my hand, we committed to taking care of him. Getting rid of him was never an option.

When I had my son the cat learned to hide, my son learned to avoid the cat, once my son was bitten so hard it broke skin and we had to have a course of antibiotics, but for 4 years we made it work and my son learned not to bother the cat. When he was too young to understand this we used a baby gate with a cut out place in the bottom so the cat could go in and out of our bedroom (his safe zone) and my son couldn't get in there. He died last year of cancer, when he got sick we did everything we could for him because we chose to bring him home 16 years before and that was a commitment we made, in the end he could no longer eat or walk and we had to have him put down. It was really sad, and even though he was a beast, we miss him. I would never get another cat again because of this experience (not a kitten, at least), but when you make a commitment to an animal you don't have the right to throw them away just because you changed something in your life. We moved a lot, we sometimes had to pay more to keep him, we sometimes had to pass up beautiful apartments because they didn't allow cats, but getting rid of our cat was never an option. I volunteer at a shelter and the number of people who take on a pet and then dump it when they decide they want something else in life makes me sick. I met a dog yesterday who was the sweetest thing ever, 8 years old, his family had him since he was a puppy and he never did anything wrong. They dumped him at the shelter because they were moving and didn't want to bother with him, they were just "too busy" to have a dog anymore.

So, make it work.

Well said ^^.

As someone who also volunteers for an animal shelter, I think it's absolutely disgusting when people surrender their pets for no reason. "Oh it's not working out...." "We're moving..." "I just can't afford it anymore.." "I don't want it anymore.."

They're living beings just like you and I. You wouldn't just adopt a kid and 5 years later decide that you don't want it anymore and drop it off somewhere so why do that to an animal? If you aren't ready to take on the responsibility of having a pet for 15+ years and the obstacles having one throws at you over time, don't get one!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    If it's a territory issue isn't it a risk to have her around the baby, declawed or not?

yes, and no.
    if you declaw a cat, and it feels threatened, it will bite.

but cats can be trained.

it's an old cat though, training won't be easy.

lol

the kid is young though, training it should be easier!

seriously though... the kid will know better now hopefully, and should be reminded often to leave the cat alone. the cat should ALWAYS have somewhere to go whether up, under beds, in a special place that baby can't get into.
    the cat can be trained to endure and not react even defensively (the cat is not aggressive for those of you who said that it is and should be gotten rid of) it's much like training a dog, with more attitude.

work on it, and stop freaking out. Most likely it was an isolated incident and shouldn't happen again. That said, you could always try the claw capping as mentioned.
  • Ninnyninball
    Ninnyninball Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It really annoys me when people just say cats are evil, dogs are great, get a dog!

I have never heard of a domestic cat mauling a child to death. I'm an animal lover but I'm realistic. I would trust a cat around a child sooner than I would a dog!

If I was you I would put the cat out doors during the day and let her in at night when the baby is asleep and just make sure to keep on top of clipping her claws. I personally would think getting a cat declawed is cruel esp if she is 6, but at the end of the day your child's safety is priority.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    None of those options seem fair to your cat. How bout teaching your 14 mo old to leave it alone? He's already learned that kitty = owies, so it shouldn't be hard
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If you do get her declawed, you may also want to rip out your child's fingernails so that they can't scratch themselves. It's only fair.

Did you really just equate a human child to a pet? Are you serious right now?

Have you read these responses? Most people are putting the cat ABOVE the baby!

"Ooh don't declaw it! That might hurt the cat!"

And I guess the baby giggled with delight when it got clawed down it's face.

Open your front door. Cat walks out. Baby gets to keep it's face and eyesight. Problem solved.
  • RCollard
    RCollard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Gotta love It's Always Sunny...!!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    One scratch, no matter how deep/close to the eye it was, should not be a reason to jump to such drastic measures. A spray bottle/air canister and a safe place for the cat to get away from the toddler should suffice.

My cat scratched me this morning. I held him wrong, he didn't like it, he got my arm pretty good. My son used to tease him a LOT when they were younger and it resulted in a couple of decent cuts, but they BOTH learned from it and now my 15 month old knows better than to approach him and my cat knows better than to approach her.

You do NOT want to get a kitten instead. Your cat already knows you, your tone and your body movements. A kitten will be MORE likely to bite/scratch your infant. I babysit for a little girl who was torn up by her kitten because neither understood boundaries; her mother now wishes she'd adopted an older cat instead because, in her words, the kitten is a 'terror' and she is contemplating giving it away.

Don't replace one problem with another.
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    secondly - and i know i'm going to get flamed, i don't care - this is where you can also try that crazy thing called "being a parent". TEACH your kid not to touch the cat. or to be GENTLE with the cat when they start to warm up to each other. toddlers are loud and they grab and they hurt - the cat isn't gonna like that (shocking i know). so sit down and TEACH THE KID to be gentle and to be quiet. teach your kid how to interact with the cat.

Are you serious? Did you actually just blame the 14 month old baby for getting scratched by the cat?? Or blame the OP for being a bad parent?? That is a load of crap. 14 month olds are very curious. They are going to test boundaries. That baby did not deserve to get scratched in the face because the cat is an a**hole!! We have a pecking order in our house and the dog falls well below the kids. I don't care what my kids do to our dog (he's just a puppy), he better NEVER scratch or bite them. He knows that and knows it well. If he ever scratched or bit any of our kids, he'd be gone. Easy as that. My kids are a heck of a lot more important. The CAT in this case needs to know better, no matter what.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Toss the cat.

What do you want to tell your child when they grow up without an eye? Declawing would have been mean to the cat?? Gee thanks mom.

I've always felt that people who own animals remind of abused spouses. "Oh it's not their fault, they're usually really sweet, the baby did something to set the cat off..."

Be a parent. Take care of your kid.

This. Its YOUR baby. you can always get another cat when he's older. But if the cat does not like kids and you have a kid, maybe its time for the cat to go. Post on craigslist or something if you dont want to take it to a shelter...
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Declawing is sick.

You can file your cats claws down and have those soft paws put on. They are rubber claw caps. You will need to it once a month but it works and doesn't bother the cat.

this is exactly what I was going to say! My sister used them on her cat when she had one worked great!
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like two of the ideas I've seen: caps on the claws and making sure kitty has a safe place to bolt to when the toddler gets out of hand for it. We have a cat who was here long before my now four year old and while she's pretty laid back, she did raise her paws to my son every so often when he went too far. Giving her a safe place to hide from him until he got bored really defused the situation plus we taught him how to deal with animals appropriately. Kids can learn about animals at an amazingly young age and it's good for them!

Back to the grouchy cat-I too was raised with a grouchy Siamese who hated everything except for close family (and even then she spent years quietly and resentfully sulking at us when we got a second cat). Giving your cat a safe place to hide when the toddler gets to be too much is really helpful. Cats don't usually WANT to claw up people; they do it when they are afraid and/or annoyed.

Good luck and be patient! This too shall pass.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    None of these options address the real issue, and all of them are, frankly, irresponsible.

Your cat scratched your child because it had no means of escape. You said yourself that the only means of escape (a door) was closed. Big red flags. Your cat didn't lash out for no reason. It felt trapped and threatened.

You need to 1. Teach your child to leave the cat alone. Period. When your child is older, then they can be reintroduced. 2. In doing number 1, you should be able to ensure that your child NEVER traps your cat anywhere. Period. The cat should always have a means of escape, and not just "oh, kitty can go out the door." There needs to be cat trees, shelving, something that the cat can get up off of the floor onto and get out of reach of your child completely at all times. Also, you could probably stand to divert your cat's attention away from the child with more exercise - this is one way that you can reintroduce them later. Make the child part of the play time for the cat. It's part of the bonding process.

Don't get rid of the cat and then replace it with another cat. Just because a kitten grows up with children doesn't mean that it'll like them or that your child won't get bitten or scratched, and you don't seem to understand enough about cat behavior to know why this is happening - so what's going to happen to that kitten when it bites your child? It's going to end up at the pound too. Your cat's behavior is totally normal in a fight or flight situation, and to replace a cat because you can't address the issue at hand is irresponsible. If you aren't willing to address the issue, which is really with your child and the cat's lack of safe space, not with the cat, then rehome the cat and stay a cat-free home. Declawing is an awful practice, and your cat shouldn't be punished.

well said!!
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Letting a cat that has always been inside, roam outdoors suddenly, is more inhumane than getting her declawed. If she has no outdoor skills, then she would never survive out there and it's rather unkind to force this major life change onto an animal that has always been raised inside. Declawing should only be an option if you plan on keeping the cat indoors and if there's no chance it will get outdoors. If it ever got outdoors while declawed, it could never defend itself against predators. I understand that pets are a part of the family, but your child comes first. It may come down to the fact that you may have to find her another home. Try to find a no-kill shelter or put an ad on Craigslist or in the paper for a free cat. You never know who might need a companion that doesn't have kids.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    Hmm, cat hurts my baby? Bye bye kitty!
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    If you do get her declawed, you may also want to rip out your child's fingernails so that they can't scratch themselves. It's only fair.

Did you really just equate a human child to a pet? Are you serious right now?

Have you read these responses? Most people are putting the cat ABOVE the baby!

"Ooh don't declaw it! That might hurt the cat!"

And I guess the baby giggled with delight when it got clawed down it's face.

Open your front door. Cat walks out. Baby gets to keep it's face and eyesight. Problem solved.

Seconded. Some of you people are nuts. Kids > cat
This discussion has been closed.