• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Please don't declaw her. It's barbaric.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get a dog.

Agreed! And a puppy at that. (Sorry, we take from the OP's post what we want to!)

We had a dog that had to be re-homed when he started growling at our then 7 month old daughter. The other dog she could pull the ears off and he'd let her but I'll never leave them alone together.

Yeah, not happening. I absolutely hate dogs.

Good call.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    The first two cats I ever had, I had the fronts declawed. After they got home I swore I would never do that again. But they got over it really quickly and they made for wonderful cats. The next two cats I got I declawed again. They do still sharpen their claws like another poster said as if they don't even know they don't have them anymore but these claws were removed when they were kittens. Your cat is older and I don't know how he would do.

Good luck with your cat. I would try to keep him. Your baby knows now about respecting the cat. I agree with others, your cat should have a save place to escape to. You probably won't have anymore trouble.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your cat.

Household felines are disgusting.
    They *kitten* in a box, rub their feet in it, then walk all over your kitchen countertops and scratch babies with their poo claws.

I'm not sure whose bright idea it was to domesticate these animals.

:laugh:
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    I used to work in a vet hospital, declawing is absoloutly cruel, it is equal to cutting off someones finger at the first knuckle, they dont just take off the claw they cut into the knuckle,the cats are in horrible pain and confused when they come out of the anethesia for days , even thought they get pain killers, it is such a sad sight to see.

I also beleive that if you take on a pet, it is for life ,good or bad! My pets are part of my family and I deal with issues that come up.
    I'm sure the cat didnt intend to purposely scratch the baby, they just react instinctively. Just keep the cat out of the rooms the baby is in, or make it an outdoor cat that comes in while the baby sleeps, it will adjust.
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would personally avoid declawing of an older cat. I have seen it ruin a cat when done too old. Like stopped using the litterbox because it must have felt odd. I have 3 cats that have all been around since before my 3 kids. One is deaf and has her claws and is sort of a spasti-cat. She has nipped/scratched my 2 boys when they got too rough. Granted, we never had a near-eye injury, but the boys learned quickly to leave her alone. They mess with the other 2 super tolerant cats. :) I would recommend the claw tips, or second cat (if current kitty would tolerate). Hope you find a solution!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I feel for you.
    We had a large dog that didn't like babies and when our son was born, we found a family that had older children and the dog was never happier.
    Maybe you can find a family without small kids?
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You made a commitment to the cat when you brought it home. I understand that you want to keep your kid safe, but that means making sure the cat has an escape route or a "safe zone". In my opinion, getting rid of your cat isn't an option.

BUT, I'll tell you that I had a cat for 16 years that was the meanest thing that ever lived. He bit me all the time, we weren't allowed to pet him (my husband could sometimes, but never me), often I'd be asleep and would wake up to him biting me through the comforter so hard he broke skin because my leg accidentally touched where he was sleeping. A few times he went nuts and acted feral, attacking us and acting like he didn't know us. We had a vet visit after the first time and they couldn't find anything, the other times we had to have them do a house call to sedate him. No vet could explain it, but the closest thing we got to an answer was that there was just something wrong with his head.

Since we brought him home as a kitten, so tiny he fit into the palm of my hand, we committed to taking care of him. Getting rid of him was never an option.

When I had my son the cat learned to hide, my son learned to avoid the cat, once my son was bitten so hard it broke skin and we had to have a course of antibiotics, but for 4 years we made it work and my son learned not to bother the cat. When he was too young to understand this we used a baby gate with a cut out place in the bottom so the cat could go in and out of our bedroom (his safe zone) and my son couldn't get in there. He died last year of cancer, when he got sick we did everything we could for him because we chose to bring him home 16 years before and that was a commitment we made, in the end he could no longer eat or walk and we had to have him put down. It was really sad, and even though he was a beast, we miss him. I would never get another cat again because of this experience (not a kitten, at least), but when you make a commitment to an animal you don't have the right to throw them away just because you changed something in your life. We moved a lot, we sometimes had to pay more to keep him, we sometimes had to pass up beautiful apartments because they didn't allow cats, but getting rid of our cat was never an option. I volunteer at a shelter and the number of people who take on a pet and then dump it when they decide they want something else in life makes me sick. I met a dog yesterday who was the sweetest thing ever, 8 years old, his family had him since he was a puppy and he never did anything wrong. They dumped him at the shelter because they were moving and didn't want to bother with him, they were just "too busy" to have a dog anymore.

So, make it work.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    If you love your car and want to keep her, declawing isn't a bad idea. You did say she doesn't go outside. You can just do the front paws so that she could get up a tree in the even that she ever got out accidently.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    She has never liked children, and we knew that, but last night the door to where she hides from our boy when he tries to play with her was closed.

Why didn't you teach your child to not play with and corner your cat who you know doesn't like children?

I am sure someone without kids would be willing to adopt your cat.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Get rid of said cat
    Don't get another one, get a fish.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    declaw the cat. I am an animal lover and have rescued stray dogs and cats just in case ppl start flaming me.

I would do this.

Agreed.

I was circumcised.

:laugh:
    I got over it.
  • RCollard
    RCollard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of your 6yr old cat and getting a new kitten is kind of inane. That is why the shelters are so over loaded with cats and dogs. People get rid of the older animals to get baby kittens or puppies. So sad, really.

I think if you keep the cat and your son away from each other then you should be safe having both in your home. Unless the cat is going out of its way to attack your son, in that case, get rid of the animal.

I have been scratched by cats many times in my life and have never wanted to trade them in for different cats. Luckily your son didn't get scratched in the eye. I know it is scary to have your child get scratched so close to the eye. I have been through some scary stuff with my kids as well but, seriously, getting rid of your cat is just mean.

You can get the animal declawed (will only hurt for a short period of time) or file the cats claws down. Maybe the scratch hurt enough to make it so your son will be too afraid to go near it??:smile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    There's no guarantee that a new cat would like kids any better than the one you have.

Try the caps for the claws - It's a cheap solution, that is worth trying first.

I view declawing as a last resort - always.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you do get her declawed, you may also want to rip out your child's fingernails so that they can't scratch themselves. It's only fair.

Did you really just equate a human child to a pet? Are you serious right now?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't assume so quickly that you'd have a hard time finding a good home for the cat. If she's well-behaved in most regards except for not liking children, there are plenty of people out there without young kids who would take a cat that really needed a home (me being one of them... too bad I'm a couple of states away).

Like some other posters have said, if you're going to keep her, work on improving her behavior through making her feel safe. This baby (and any that may follow) are threats to her. She needs a safe place to escape to and daily attention without the baby present. As your kids become old enough to understand, teach them to be gentle with her. But it really would be best if you could find somewhere else for her to go to...
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Here's the claw caps. We just do this to front paws but you can do all four. If you just do the front this contains enough to do it 4 times.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033287&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Try this!!!
    Also install a cat door into the hiding room so that the cat always has a place to escape to. If the cat doesn't opt to go hide then be diligent about closing it in a room while the family is home.
    Teaching your child to leave the cat alone will also reduce the risk. I have 3 dogs and a cat who all coexist with my young children, my kids respect our animals, even so, I am always present when my kids and pets are together to be sure that the animals aren't getting tortured witch would cause them do go into defense mode.
    Dumping your pet and getting a new kitten will not guarantee that your baby/toddler wont get scratched. Kittens SCRATCH, they don't know any better AND love to play/practice hunting. Shelters everywhere are full of thrown away animals, please don't add to this. Declawing would be much less cruel, at least the cat would still have a home though I'm not an advocate of the practice in general.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    between declawing or putting her down...

declaw....

while I love animals and I rescue (I have a rescued pitty currently), I feel that our first responsibility is to our human children's safety, then the animals.

THIS.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I fear this.
    My daughter is only 5m old - and so far my cats just keep away from her. I hope this continues to be the case. They dont loathe her - but they never stay in the same room.

I had those glue on caps for the claws. Two of my 3 cats - they didnt shed off properly and the nail grew so long it was pushing into the pads on their feet - I had to chew them off.
    The other chewed her own off in a couple days - so not always a good solution.

I do however clip my cats nails routinely.

You do need to watch to make sure the caps fall off properly - again why I now have a groomer do them, we had that issue when we did it ourselves - if you notice the claw is growing over the cap you just need to clip the top of the cap with nail clippers and it comes off by itself in a day or two. Since your cat is grumpy I definitely wouldn't recommend chewing it off.... cats paw are pretty gross anyways if you think about it :noway:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Cat300.jpg
This discussion has been closed.