Elliptical VS Treadmill

Options
Why is it that I can spend an hr on the Elliptical with a high resistance and high pace BUT the second I get on a treadmill my heart feels like its going to stop beating and my lungs arent working and my legs are rubber! I am lucky if I can do it for more than 15minutes on it. I guess 15min is better than nothing if I'm trying to mix up my cardio...lol

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I did both last night and I can do more on the eliptical, might be more impact wearing you out quicker on the treadmill
  • Pinksapphire74
    Options
    Running and jogging are harder on your joints, the elliptical gives you less inpact on your joints:) I do know how you feel though, I can do an hour on my elliptical, but try and jog for 15 minutes and I feel as though my legs are going to give...lol
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Even with the high resistance on the elliptical, you're still only doing half the work. The pedals you step on help you to move and support you so you're not expending as much energy to pick up your feet. On the treadmill, it's all you so it takes more energy. Try running intervals on the treadmill so you can build up your time. If you try to do too much at once it's not good.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I can do hours on the treadmill at a high incline at 4-5mph and am fine. I get on the elliptical and can barely make it 20 minutes.
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    The impact of running makes it feel like harder work and it is possible to rely on the momentum of the elliptical when you get tired whereas the treadmill demands you maintain the pace it is rotating at.

Remember though - impact is a good thing because it promotes bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis (brittle bone disease) in later life.

If you eventually want to move to running outside put your tready at an incline of 1 or 2% to compensate for the lack of wind resistance or you will find the first time you run outside will feel like REALLY hard work compared to the treadmill.
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm just the opposite. I have a harder time on the elliptical, but I can treadmill all day.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Even with the high resistance on the elliptical, you're still only doing half the work. The pedals you step on help you to move and support you so you're not expending as much energy to pick up your feet. On the treadmill, it's all you so it takes more energy. Try running intervals on the treadmill so you can build up your time. If you try to do too much at once it's not good.

My trainer said that the treadmill isn't you. He said that walking outside was better because you had to propel your body weight forward.

That being said, I don't use a tread mill... I do my walking or speedwalking outside. However I do love the elliptical