Leg press mania!!!!!

Options
BEERRUNNER
BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
Whats shakin MFP! I have started to incorporate a little of the leg press once a week. I do lift heavy on it as it is alot easir to stack on the with than a squat (Which I ALSO do).

I like it! totally gonna be part of my workout for sure!:smokin:

Anyone else a fan of this contraption?!?!?!?!

Replies

• thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the leg press is an accessory tool at its best, it shouldnt replace the squat. yes, it is easier to stack heavy weight on, but you dont go as deep due to the nature of the machine, and you dont use any stabalizing muscles. someone who squats 200 is going to be stronger than someone leg pressing 350. dont let it replace your squat, use it as an accessory after squat.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    the leg press is an accessory tool at its best, it shouldnt replace the squat. yes, it is easier to stack heavy weight on, but you dont go as deep due to the nature of the machine, and you dont use any stabalizing muscles. someone who squats 200 is going to be stronger than someone leg pressing 350. dont let it replace your squat, use it as an accessory after squat.
    Second.

Here's an article that you might find helpful: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/leg_press_vs_squat_the_final_chapter
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I dont trust that machine. Seems like a show off machine. See guys pile on the weight using all the 45s in the gym. I bet I can squat more than them though and I dont even squat all that much weight yet. The machine just seems gimmicky. I dont waste my time with it.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It is my go-to lower body exercise after squats. You can use it to work on negatives, slow reps, high reps, emphasizing hamstrings via high foot placement, etc., without fear of sacrificing form like on the squat.

And although I stack on the weight to max capacity, I don't do it for show. In fact, I hate doing it nowadays because everyone stares at me and it is very distracting (and annoying).
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    It is indeed a great compliment to the squat. Im going to do both.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It is my go-to lower body exercise after squats. You can use it to work on negatives, slow reps, high reps, emphasizing hamstrings via high foot placement, etc., without fear of sacrificing form like on the squat.

And although I stack on the weight to max capacity, I don't do it for show. In fact, I hate doing it nowadays because everyone stares at me and it is very distracting (and annoying).
    A friend of mine does this atthe gym, and I always tell him that if he needs to add more weight, say about 65kg, then I'd be happy to sit on the plates.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It is not a squat but it is useful regardless.

I guess it really depends on your goals and physical condition.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a definite "real men squat" attitude towards the leg press machines.
    Fortunately, the last of my pride was lost years ago. I use the leg press machine and do not squat, though I was considering it. In the end, I just didn't want to have to be so concerned about great form or, lacking that, possible injuries.

I've only been at it a couple of weeks, but I can seriously feel the benefits vs the token leg work I was doing before.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options

A friend of mine does this atthe gym, and I always tell him that if he needs to add more weight, say about 65kg, then I'd be happy to sit on the plates.

My trainer did this to me once. After stacking five plates on either side of the leg press and seeing me push those without too much effort, he climbed on top to add his 170 pound frame to the lift. I thought he was nuts, but proceeded to knock out a set with him up there.

It looked good, and showed off my strong quads, but I didn't put too much credence in the feat. I still regard the squat as the ultimate benchmark of lower-body strength, and I still have a lot of work to do there, especially with my form, as I find it hard to get parallel.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I used it once...in high school...showed up all the guys in the weight room at the time...never used it again.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I alternate legs and abs every other day and do different exercises for each. I use the leg press on one of the days and do single leg presses.

I do not use it to replace my squats though.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I like it sometimes after squats.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I use it for accessory work on squats days as well as on deads days. I do both mid-weight and high weight work on it, and I also use it for single leg work.

I don't follow any silly notions that one must only use free weights or go home. I am squatting close to 1.5 my body weight, and I am positive that the work on the leg press has helped in this regard.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I love the leg press. Let's me finish off working my legs after my back fatigues. The leg press has been a reliable source of my leg's size and strength develop since I started lifting seriously. A typical week for me is squats and leg press on Leg Day A and leg press only on Leg Day B
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Leg press is one of my faves! My legs are my strongest muscles...not tryin to toot my own horn but I can press about 800lbs. Also, my "gym" don't have a squat rack, just those gowdamn smith machines, so I love using the leg press an alternative, since I don't wanna destroy my back on the smith machine.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    I love the leg press. Let's me finish off working my legs after my back fatigues. The leg press has been a reliable source of my leg's size and strength develop since I started lifting seriously. A typical week for me is squats and leg press on Leg Day A and leg press only on Leg Day B

Thats a good way to strengthen them legs! nice
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    meh, it hurts my quadraceps tendon (FU tendonitis) worse than a squat, so I don't do them.

That, and you can only load about 900lbs on the one in our gym, which is going to leave with me with no room to progress even if I did train it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That, and you can only load about 900lbs on the one in our gym, which is going to leave with me with no room to progress even if I did train it.

pHsPCfo.jpg

your argument is invalid
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I like using it for singles work too. My left leg is definitely not as strong as my right so it lets me work them seperately. I do single leg squats too but I kinda hate those.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use it when I can't get on the damn barbell!! :grumble: