My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• lwhite0503
    lwhite0503 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We have two cats, and for me personally, declawing just ins't an option. We use Soft Paws on our tow. It is just a cap that is put over the claw. They sell them in Petsmart and you can put them on at home, but we opt to let the vet do it. Either way, I would talk to your vet. Best of luck!
  • justkate88
    Options
    Use reinforcement training. Observe the cat near the child and squirt her with a water bottle when she shows signs of aggression.

This is positive punishment. It teaches the cat that being near the child is a negative experience, which is likely to result in the problem (I don't actually think there is a 'problem' here, the cat acted on instinct since it felt confined and threatened - solved with an open door) getting worse rather than better - cat sees the child and thinks "crap, I'd better defend myself here before that nasty thing happens). Though it could also result in the cat just staying away from the kid, which would be a good thing.

Just teach the child to leave the cat alone, that's all the cat is trying to teach it.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to weed through 13 pages of responses to your question because, frankly, your question alone made me want to vomit.

Why don't you try teaching your child to leave the cat alone?! If you can't be a responsible pet owner (i.e. you're thinking of getting rid of the old cranky cat and getting a bright shiny new kitten) do NOT have pets. It's pretty simple.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    In my opinion luv you have to get rid of the cat. Hard I know, but at the end of the day a cats a cat and your child HAS to come first.......I'm a cat owner and have owned a dog in the past but my children will/would ALWAYS come first :flowerforyou:

Correct!!!!!!!!!! I always have two dogs, when one passes from old age we get another I love them like family they sleep in my bed and do everything with us. But you better believe if they were ever agressive to my son they would be out the door no if ands or butts about it, I cant believe some of these responses......

Cat people are a weird bunch..

Hahaha your soo right :flowerforyou:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to weed through 13 pages of responses to your question because, frankly, your question alone made me want to vomit.

Why don't you try teaching your child to leave the cat alone?! If you can't be a responsible pet owner (i.e. you're thinking of getting rid of the old cranky cat and getting a bright shiny new kitten) do NOT have pets. It's pretty simple.

YES
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I've been told that when I was a baby, I was "sharing" a cookie with the family dog. The dog, being a dog, tried to eat some cookie when it was "my turn" and bit me in the face. My mother apparently had a fit and Dad had to come home and convince her not to kill the dog (kind of him, because he didn't like dogs anyway). Instead, I got taken to the doctor and was taught to not share food with the dog. I also had to be taught to leave my grandparents' and my aunt and uncle's cats alone because they didn't like me, and they both scratched me at least once. (I've always loved kitties more than dogs.)

As an aside, I regularly have my kid take the dogs bowl/toy etc because they can do this - it is dominant behavour and it teaches the dog that the kid is above it in the pecking order. Obviously if it growls, we take it more slowly, but a kid should always be able to take things from the dog - also, to re-enforce the childs dominance, I et the child to make the dog sit etc and then give it a treat.

that is a GREAT way to do it!
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Every idea presented in this thread I believe is fantastic. I would like to add though that getting a "replacement kitten" is definitely not a good idea! Kittens often scratch more than adults, generally without meaning to harm, but still. I do not think it would be a good idea to add another animal into the house, when there are already problems with 1. Plus, you never know how an oder cat will react to a new intruder (this is likely playing a part with addition of the baby to begin with). I think your best options are either using the nail protectors or finding the cat a home (other than a no-kill shelter).
    declaw the cat. I am an animal lover and have rescued stray dogs and cats just in case ppl start flaming me.

I would do this.

I would also suggest monitoring both more closely and having separate spaces that each can go to. Baby gates work wonders. We have a puppy and even though I know he would not intentionally do anything I don't leave him alone with my 3 year old because he could easily accidentally scratch/bite her.
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The odds of re-homing a cranky older cat are slim. Rescues are over flowing with unwanted cats and dogs, so they probably wouldn't take it. A shelter would take it, and then after 10 days if not adopted, may be put to sleep. If it were me, I would de-claw and keep your cat. I have been involved in rescue for many years.
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    no, you are forgetting what is hard wired into our brains after thousands of years of evolution.
    I chase cat. I pull cat's tail. Fun! *baby giggles*
    Cat no like. Cat scratches. OUCH. *lots of screaming and wailing*

I no chase cat anymore.

also hopefully reinforced by parents not allowing child to pester cat.

Perfect logic!!

it's pretty much the same thing that keeps a pet or a child from touching a hot stove more than once.

Not that I'm suggesting you let your child or your cat/dog/iguana touch the stove (before anyone yells at me for 136 posts)!!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

I'm sorry, but you misspelled "child" in your second sentence.

Um, no. The child always has a safe place. The cat doesn't. The cat is not the aggressor. Neither is the kid, but see it from the cat's perspective here. You're just sitting somewhere, chilling and this larger organism starts bugging you. You have nowhere to go to escape this organism. They won't leave you be. You're trapped. What do you do? The cat reacted like a normal cat does when they feel trapped. Neither is at fault, but to punish the cat by ripping its claws out, putting it outdoors or abandoning it altogether is wrong.

That would make perfect sense....In an insane world where house cats and human infants are equals.

And clearly the child does not always have a safe place as it was clawed by the cat.

"Well the cat felt annoyed, so it clawed the kid's face. It's the kid's fault."

I don't own any pets. I hope you never have children.

Did I say they were equals? NO. The child got swiped because he cornered the cat. How is this not understood at all? I also DID NOT say it was the kid's fault. He's a toddler. They don't know any better. Don't flipping put words in my mouth.

Whether I reproduce or not is none of your goddamn business. Just because I actually understand feline behavior, doesn't mean I'll be a bad mother. I seriously wish this site allowed cursing because you really deserve a couple of expletives for what you wrote to me.
  • nconley83
    nconley83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A declawed, nasty cat will still be a nasty cat. With teeth. And the surgery kind of sucks for the animal. So I'll repeat what others have said - cap the claws.

Or you could try kitten mittens. Look at how happy this feline is!
    125nrdf.gif

Oh how I wish I wasn't at work right now. I've got tears rolling down my cheeks from trying to supress my laughter.

:laugh: Holy crap, me too. I literally had to wipe tears off of my cheeks.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That dog and my brother were inseperable for the next nineteen years. He slept every night in a crate (he liked the crate, the door was left open but he felt cozy there) in my brother's room. My brother, now a vet assistant, held him as he was finally euthanized due to illness, after a long and happy life with a loving family, and buried him in our yard.

:sad: You can tell I am an animal person because I started crying at this part!!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.

Defending the cat because most of them don't have kids.. Meow!
  • mani_r
    mani_r Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Getting a cat "declawed" isn't just having it's nails/claws removed. The vet amputates the entire first phlange/digit. Declawed cats simply learn to "bite" instead of scratching. So your little one will be bitten instead (and cat saliva is full of bacteria). Do you want your child getting a serious infection?

BOTTOM LINE: Your child was almost blinded into a cyclops by this feline... easy decision... get rid of the cat. If nobody takes it, you're only left with one option. And sure, you'll feel bad afterwards, but remember, it's "just" a cat.

I have an anti-social cat and a baby on the way. This could be my dilemma in a few months, and it would be an obvious decision.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

Um, no. The child always has a safe place. The cat doesn't. The cat is not the aggressor. Neither is the kid, but see it from the cat's perspective here. You're just sitting somewhere, chilling and this larger organism starts bugging you. You have nowhere to go to escape this organism. They won't leave you be. You're trapped. What do you do? The cat reacted like a normal cat does when they feel trapped. Neither is at fault, but to punish the cat by ripping its claws out, putting it outdoors or abandoning it altogether is wrong.

That would make perfect sense....In an insane world where house cats and human infants are equals.

And clearly the child does not always have a safe place as it was clawed by the cat.

Agreed I think Sterilization needs to happen from some of these responses. Poor babies :-(
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Although I definitely agree with the "do not have pets" message in this case, I still think this "old cranky cat" cat deserves to be found a loving home. I also didn't weed through the 13 pages of responses, but am hoping that there are more people suggesting that she find a more suitible home for the cat (no kids, someone to give it attention, etc). Definitely not a no-kill shelter, no cat deserves to live out its later years in a cage while a newer model (aka: kitten) takes its place!!

• TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

Did I say they were equals? NO. The child got swiped because he cornered the cat. How is this not understood at all? I also DID NOT say it was the kid's fault. He's a toddler. They don't know any better. Don't flipping put words in my mouth.

Whether I reproduce or not is none of your goddamn business. Just because I actually understand feline behavior, doesn't mean I'll be a bad mother. I seriously wish this site allowed cursing because you really deserve a couple of expletives for what you wrote to me.

shh... all is good.
    people rarely read more than the first 10 words of any of these things anyway, and all they want is a quick fix, not an intelligent and thoughtful answer.
    don't take rampant ignorance personally, it's bad for the blood pressure!
    :flowerforyou:
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Install a tall cat tree where the cat can climb very high to hide. Get one or two furniture-finished litter box enclosures for the cat to climb into just to hide in privacy. Locate these props to be somewhat hidden and inaccessible by your toddler.
This discussion has been closed.