What you eat, or just how much?

Options
Does it matter what you eat as long as you stay under your calorie goal? I eat a lot of crap (lots of cheese, sour cream, candy, cookies, hardly any fruit, and not enough veggies.) I'm staying under my calorie goal each day, but is that enough? Would it be easier or more affective if I ate better foods?

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Calories are just measurements of heat. Losing weight doesn't equal health. It depends on your goals. If you want to live a healthier lifestyle, yes WHAT you eat matters, not just how much.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In general, you can eat a larger volume of "healthy" foods like fruits and vegetable for a lower imapct on your calories and macros. Sure you will still lose weight eating "crap" as long as you stay at a deficit. However, you will probably find after a while of tracking that it is easier to stay within the goals that you set if you incorporate more fruits and vegetables. That being said I don't believe in eliminating any food from your diet (diet meaning the food that you eat not a particular eating regimen). You can certainly enjoy "crap" on a regular basis, just less of it with more "healthy" food.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    BOTH matter. What you eat, for example, empty calories ( sugar candy and stuff) does not quell hunger for long and you will find yourself snacking more. Strong calories, fruits, veggies lean protiens, grains (popcorn is my fav) fill you up and keep you satified for longer, as well as fueling your body with nutrients. Can you lose weight simply by staying under your calorie goal? The short answer is yes, you can eat 1200 calories a day of twinkies and lose weight.. will you be healthy? No.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yes it matters, it matters in many different ways. You will have more energy if you eat, what I call, real food. You will be less hungry if you eat real food. Your cholesterol and blood pressure will be better if you eat real food. Your overall health will be better if you eat real food. If all you want is to loose weight you can do that just by restricting calories. If you are only eating junk, you will be hungry most of the time, which then will lead to you not restricting your calories.

So ...

Eat real food, and treat yourself occasionally to the junk foods you love.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    A thousand times yes! If you're not giving your body the good foods, it isn't going to be able to function well in the long run! I mean, cheese is pretty good as long as you're not eating a wheel at a time or something (which I assume you are not, lol). And you definitely do not have to cut out your favorite snacks.

BUT get lots of vegetables! They are incredibly nutrient & fiber dense and low calorie. Lean protein is also essential if you want to be able to continue to burn fat and not lose muscle mass (the bad kind of weight loss). If you think you don't like veggies, just experiment with Pinterest recipes (I've found most simple recipes on there are pretty decent) until your repertoire is bulked up. Premixed salad is your friend! It's easy to add on to a meal to up your vitamins/minerals and fiber, and there's pretty much no work. Plus, you can eat like a pound of broccoli and not match the calorie amount of a cookie.

Note: I could not eat a pound of broccoli in one sitting.
  • ulmernd
    ulmernd Posts: 4
    Options
    Both matter. You HAVE to eat clean if you want the best results and if you want results quick. It's all about what you eat, when you eat it, and how much you eat.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Calories are all that matter if you are trying to lose weight. However, you will feel better if you eat better quality foods- and you will also feel fuller.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love to eat. I pretty much love all food. I choose to make healthier choices because then I can eat SO MUCH MORE. With that said, I still eat the "bad" foods but I do so in moderation.
  • dysonsl
    dysonsl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    what you eat definitely matters. the thing that bothers me about this place is that people only concern themselves with counting calories. it's so much more than counting calories. one of the worst culprits is sugar. they sneak sugar into things you'd never suspect it. mostly packaged foods. pay attention to everything you're putting in your body. and by eating healthier nutrient rich foods you'll be fueled for your daily activities. eating junk food only makes you feel like crap. junk food is a huge factor in causing depression. so if you want to feel good and look good. go with a balanced diet of lean proteins, veggies, fruits, nuts & seeds and some grains. your body will thank you for it. and so will your family.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    both.

how MUCH you eat corresponds with your weight

WHAT you eat corresponds with your health