My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I would likely get rid of the cat. But, this is why I/we are not getting a pet before we have kids. Little kids don't know how to treat animals and I've seen animals pushed aside after the baby came and not given the life they deserve

ETA: I have cats, who I like more than I like most people.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Getting a cat "declawed" isn't just having it's nails/claws removed. The vet amputates the entire first phlange/digit. Declawed cats simply learn to "bite" instead of scratching. So your little one will be bitten instead (and cat saliva is full of bacteria). Do you want your child getting a serious infection?

BOTTOM LINE: Your child was almost blinded into a cyclops by this feline... easy decision... get rid of the cat. If nobody takes it, you're only left with one option. And sure, you'll feel bad afterwards, but remember, it's "just" a cat.

I have an anti-social cat and a baby on the way. This could be my dilemma in a few months, and it would be an obvious decision.

I can tell from your response your child will be just fine :-)
    And congrats!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.

Defending the cat because most of them don't have kids.. Meow!

I'd hate to be raised knowing I came second to a cat in my parents' pecking order.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd install a cat door to your cat's hidey hole. That way, closed or not, your cat has an escape route from the toddler. Also, keep in mind, you won't have a toddler forever. This too shall pass.

THIS.

Also, I'm an avid animal lover - in my family: 7 dogs, 3 cats and a bunny, all rescues. If it's between re-homing the cat and declawing, declaw. There are so many pets in need right now that it would be better for the cat and your family to keep it. Plus, your toddler needs to learn not to mess with the cat (I know some adults that are STILL afraid of cats and/or dogs - yikes).

I like the filing/cutting and soft paws claw covers though and being sure the cat has a hiding place to go to - high up and closed in. I bet this will help a lot and even fix the problem!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    no, you are forgetting what is hard wired into our brains after thousands of years of evolution.
    I chase cat. I pull cat's tail. Fun! *baby giggles*
    Cat no like. Cat scratches. OUCH. *lots of screaming and wailing*

I no chase cat anymore.

also hopefully reinforced by parents not allowing child to pester cat.

Perfect logic!!

Logic? Logic has no place on this thread.

You should either - stick corks on your cats claws or teach the 14 month old baby not to poke it. Or get rid of both because you are a bad person. Hahahahahaha
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you'll have to put the baby down
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

I'm sorry, but you misspelled "child" in your second sentence.

Um, no. The child always has a safe place. The cat doesn't. The cat is not the aggressor. Neither is the kid, but see it from the cat's perspective here. You're just sitting somewhere, chilling and this larger organism starts bugging you. You have nowhere to go to escape this organism. They won't leave you be. You're trapped. What do you do? The cat reacted like a normal cat does when they feel trapped. Neither is at fault, but to punish the cat by ripping its claws out, putting it outdoors or abandoning it altogether is wrong.

That would make perfect sense....In an insane world where house cats and human infants are equals.

And clearly the child does not always have a safe place as it was clawed by the cat.

"Well the cat felt annoyed, so it clawed the kid's face. It's the kid's fault."

I don't own any pets. I hope you never have children.

Agreed I think Sterilization needs to happen from some of these responses. Poor babies :-(

Really? So because I understand why the cat did what she did, I would make a bad mom? Wow.....and people think I and others who are able to decipher cat behavior are the bad ones? You're suggesting we shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Your cat needs a safe place that it can access at all times when she feels threatened. Seems like she lashed out because she felt like she couldn't flee. I have a very nervous, cat-sized rescue dog that needs similar treatment. When people or animals are visiting that she doesn't trust, she has a designated place to retreat. The rule is that we completely ignore her when she's in there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCCtdQ8HsWROqAZ0JJMJGUVAhJ47h-1zOl-EZCpJt1Avp1gxYpTg

I would try designating a cozy (covered cave like) crate or similar for the cat before drastic measures are taken. Then, if all else fails, declaw
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I see 2 options.
    1. Declaw the cat.
    2. Get rid of the cat. (Or, get rid of the baby.)
    I think the answer is clear.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.

No kidding. Some of you people are bat s**t crazy. This shouldn't even be a topic. Kid > Cat
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's a cat vs your CHILD. Get rid of it.

Not nice to refer to a CHILD as an IT. :wink:

Ah-ha. Touché.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    GET SOFT PAWS! They work. It sucks getting them on, so see if a groomer will do it for you, and you'll have to watch them because they do fall off or she might chew them off. I used them when my cat was younger and kept scratching, he learned not to get his claws out so we no longer use them. :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljo71m8RY41qgzsu1o1_400.jpg
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me think of this:

1319739621_baby_starts_fight_with_cat.gif

^ That kid totally deserved it.
    Your kid probably did something the cat didn't like, your cat defended itself.
    I grew up with cats my whole life, and *gasp* they didn't kill me.
    Your kid will learn to not bug the cat, and your cat will probably try and steer clear from your kid.
    Watch them when they are together, otherwise keep them apart.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to reiterate the only real person (or creature) at fault here is the OP.

- The cat is not at fault. It is an animal. It was cornered and scared. It could not escape and was defending herself.

- The baby is not at fault. A 14-month-old is not capable of knowing how to treat an animal without the guidance of its parents.

- The OP is clearly at fault. She allowed her toddler to corner her cat. She allowed her toddler to be unsupervised with an animal that is known to be cranky and not like kids. She has not taught her child how to treat the animal and to leave it alone.

You can't blame an animal for acting like an animal, or a baby for acting like a baby. What you can blame is a parent who was negligent in caring for both her child and her cat.

It was an accident. Take it as a learning experience to teach your kid how to treat the cat.
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I HATE cats....I despise them...BUT I also dont agree with getting rid of ANY animal for a one time thing. I could see if the animal repeatedly attacked the kid, or attacked the kid so bad the kid had to go to the hospital.

THere are still options as others have mentioned...try the caps, try teaching yoru child to stay away from the cat, try the pills for animal behavior, try having a safe spot for your cat etc etc...if no other options work and the cat does it again...then YES by all means, your child comes first. THEN you rehome the cat! But to rehome an animal for a one time deal, when you havent tried any solutions to the problem first is very irresponsible.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I've been told that when I was a baby, I was "sharing" a cookie with the family dog. The dog, being a dog, tried to eat some cookie when it was "my turn" and bit me in the face. My mother apparently had a fit and Dad had to come home and convince her not to kill the dog (kind of him, because he didn't like dogs anyway). Instead, I got taken to the doctor and was taught to not share food with the dog. I also had to be taught to leave my grandparents' and my aunt and uncle's cats alone because they didn't like me, and they both scratched me at least once. (I've always loved kitties more than dogs.)

As an aside, I regularly have my kid take the dogs bowl/toy etc because they can do this - it is dominant behavour and it teaches the dog that the kid is above it in the pecking order. Obviously if it growls, we take it more slowly, but a kid should always be able to take things from the dog - also, to re-enforce the childs dominance, I et the child to make the dog sit etc and then give it a treat.

^This! My dog would love to share it's food with any human!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Declawing seems better than abandoning your pet at a shelter. Adult cat have a hard time getting adopted and most end up living their lives at a shelter or euthanized. Introducing a kitten to the family might be a good idea or teaching the child to respect animals and give it space is another idea.

My 4 adopted dogs do not like children at all so I don't allow children around them.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    If a cat scratched my baby, I'd get rid of it. When my kids were babies, I had no animals in my house. Period. Can't trust critters.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I'd install a cat door to your cat's hidey hole. That way, closed or not, your cat has an escape route from the toddler. Also, keep in mind, you won't have a toddler forever. This too shall pass.

This. My cat is a cranky old bat too. As long as she has an escape route away from the kids, she is fine.
This discussion has been closed.