I've started living well - still feeling a little empty

Options
I've been very fortunate to have kept good, healthy habits since I committed to a healthy lifestyle. I've been eating whole foods, limiting sugars and anything refined. I've been very successful minimizing fats and carbs.

One thing that is happening - is that I'm feeling a bit of emptiness. Previously when I'd be stressed, sad, angry, bored or happy - I'd suppress those feelings and numb them through bad habits (eating bad foods, spending wastefully, gambling, etc). Now that I don't have those habits to numb the feelings, I'm sort of left just "being" - it isn't comfortable.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do, once you don't have behaviors that provide instant gratification. Its too soon, to get any gratification out of my life changes, because I haven't experienced results.

Looking to see if anyone here has experienced anything similar to this

Replies

• dmahacek
    dmahacek Posts: 3
    Options
    Take music lessons. Try learning a new instrument. Join a class at your local fitness center. Go up everyday. Meet and hang with people who lead the life style you desire.
    Music baby!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when we change what we are doing.. it is so unfamilar and we need to develop different coping mechanisms. For example if we used food to stuff our feelings ( which most of us have done) then we have to find a different way to manage those feelings because the food has changed. Develop new habits ( for me it is exercise and volunteering) that reflect more who you are now. Meeting new folks who are into what you like really helps. For example I started training and doing half marathons ( I am neither fast or a runner by ANY stretch of the imagination) but the people I have met keep me motivated and interested, taking away my need to eat my way to numbness.. Hope this helps, it is all a learning process!!
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Anything constructive. How about exercise?