I need to "Stop the Insanity!"

Options
So I'm 3 weeks into Insanity, and this morning I can barely walk. I've strained my ankles, especially my left ankle, to the point that I can barely walk. I am so disappointed. I realize I have some extra weight on my frame right now but I didn't expect to this kind of an issue. I was fine up until a few days ago when they started aching and then bam I'm in agony, kept me up all night aching and throbbing.

I feel like a huge failure. I know I'm going to need to take at least a week off of this program, or worst case scenario I won't even be able to finish it. I put this weight on so fast and now I need to get at least half of it off to get ready for my half marathon and now I don't even know if I'll be able to run. I'm so upset! I don't like to not finish things, I think it's a perfectionist thing. When I can't do something perfect, I tend to go the complete opposite and sabotage myself. To top it off, I'm halfway into my third week of this program and I'm 2 pounds heavier! Sorry for the ramble, I guess this is my "Why me moment."

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the ankle!!! I have the same problem as you - pushing myself through the pain to "get done." Did this with my knee but luckily finished my 5k before it got too terrible and I could take time off.

Best thing is to ice it and keep up your cardio during non-insanity. That way when your ankle is better, you don't have to recondition your heart!! & Good luck with everything. :)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    No worries, lady!

At least you recognize that you need to stop -- ankle injuries can take a long time to heal, so you're doing yourself a favor by taking it easy now. If anything, training for your half will help you beef up those ankles to make you even stronger for when you are able to get back into Insanity.

PS -- You are NOT a failure!! I tried picking up Zumba in the final 2 weeks of my half training and I ran into the same problem -- ankle issues -- and had to quit after my very first workout (made me sad because it was so much fun). It happens all the time!!
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    Maybe you need to rethink your shoes? It seems that there must be some that would help to cushion things to the point where your ankles & stuff would be more protected?
  • ktmunchie
    ktmunchie Posts: 35
    Options
    Keep your head up! I know that it feels like everything is falling apart right now, I have been there. I was about half done with P90X and I started having really bad knee problems. I saw a physical therapist who told me I couldn't do Plyo for at least 2 weeks. I felt like everything was going to fall to pieces. I didn't do the plyo and I followed his instructions on how to help my knee heal and keep it strong. It is fine now, 3 months or so later.

I completely understand how you feel. :wink: Listen to your body, don't push it and when your body is ready you will be able to finish Insanity!!! I plan to do that next, after my second round of P90X. You can do it just slow down and bit and keep pushing through.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    do you have access to a pool? wouldn't have to put weight on it and could still get in a modified workout.
  • Tobygirl
    Tobygirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to discourage you because you were so excited at the beginning - but you are not alone!! I went through the exact same thing and at EXACTLY the three week mark! My friend who I hadn't talked to in a while happily told me about how she had just lost 15 pounds over the last three weeks (hmm, three weeks? I thought) doing absolutely no working out, just watching what she ate. I, however, had not budged the stupid scale at all. In THREE WEEKS!! I literally had a break down, stopped the grueling work out mid-way that next morning, went back upstairs and started crying because I felt like such a failure. I happened to be watching country music videos at the time and Rascal Flatts' Olympics version of "Unstoppable" came on. I don't know if you've heard it? "Get on your knees and dig down deep, you can do what you think is impossible. You are unstoppable." I bawled for a bit more. Went back downstairs and got on my treadmill that I hadn't been on since starting Insanity. I don't know what kind of shape you were in when you started, but for me, getting through two miles was a pretty big deal. I jumped on the treadmill that morning and started a slow jog at .5 mph. Before I even knew what hit me, two miles were up and I was still going strong. I honestly could not believe it. That was a WAY better fitness test for me because it made me realize that, yeah, something is actually happening. After that, I went off the Insanity schedule and started running on the treadmill for three miles every other day and then an Insanity tape on the other days. I've since decided I just really like to run better and am actually finally (if I'm a good girl with food, that is) started losing weight again and have decided to just do the running thing for now until I get to my goal weight and then maybe start adding in Insanity again. Sorry. I know that was long and me-centered, but I have been wondering how you were doing with it. And I want you to know you're not alone and you are NOT a failure!!! That is one tough work-out.
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    I didn't want to discourage you because you were so excited at the beginning - but you are not alone!! I went through the exact same thing and at EXACTLY the three week mark! My friend who I hadn't talked to in a while happily told me about how she had just lost 15 pounds over the last three weeks (hmm, three weeks? I thought) doing absolutely no working out, just watching what she ate. I, however, had not budged the stupid scale at all. In THREE WEEKS!! I literally had a break down, stopped the grueling work out mid-way that next morning, went back upstairs and started crying because I felt like such a failure. I happened to be watching country music videos at the time and Rascal Flatts' Olympics version of "Unstoppable" came on. I don't know if you've heard it? "Get on your knees and dig down deep, you can do what you think is impossible. You are unstoppable." I bawled for a bit more. Went back downstairs and got on my treadmill that I hadn't been on since starting Insanity. I don't know what kind of shape you were in when you started, but for me, getting through two miles was a pretty big deal. I jumped on the treadmill that morning and started a slow jog at .5 mph. Before I even knew what hit me, two miles were up and I was still going strong. I honestly could not believe it. That was a WAY better fitness test for me because it made me realize that, yeah, something is actually happening. After that, I went off the Insanity schedule and started running on the treadmill for three miles every other day and then an Insanity tape on the other days. I've since decided I just really like to run better and am actually finally (if I'm a good girl with food, that is) started losing weight again and have decided to just do the running thing for now until I get to my goal weight and then maybe start adding in Insanity again. Sorry. I know that was long and me-centered, but I have been wondering how you were doing with it. And I want you to know you're not alone and you are NOT a failure!!! That is one tough work-out.

Wow, that is so weird because I've been sitting here thinking those same thoughts. I lost 40 pounds 5 years ago when I started running. I've always run since then until last fall after I finished my half I really slacked off. I had a lot of family stress going on and did a lot of emotional eating, but I think for the most part it was the not running part that did me in. I've had ups and downs over these last 5 years with food but I never stopped running and I never put on weight. I can still run 2 or 3 miles pretty comfortably but I haven't been doing a lot of it, and I thought the Insanity would be a good way to shed weight quickly so I would be in better shape for my half training.

The sad thing is I used to love running. I would run outside almost every night after work, I work at home so for me it was my only chance to get away from everything. Like you, I think running is what I like best. I do need to get back to what works for me. Thanks so much for your post, you are so right on!

PS - Love Rascal Flatts!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    road chic-before getting upset w/ yourself..please read your favorite quote on your signature:

Favorite Quote: Forget past mistakes, forget failures, forget everything except for what you're going to do now and do it!

I started w/ you and I have been doing good..I have gained weight but I am definately getting stronger in my running. Someone above mentioned your shoes...another mentioned swimming..whatever it takes so you make your goals...you can do what you need!
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    road chic-before getting upset w/ yourself..please read your favorite quote on your signature:

Favorite Quote: Forget past mistakes, forget failures, forget everything except for what you're going to do now and do it!

I started w/ you and I have been doing good..I have gained weight but I am definately getting stronger in my running. Someone above mentioned your shoes...another mentioned swimming..whatever it takes so you make your goals...you can do what you need!

Okay so you got me with my own words, LOL. So true though. I guess I'm just a little upset since #1 the pain and #2 I hate being sidelined. I was doing really well or so I thought until yesterday when I couldn't finish my workout. Anyway, you're right I know. I plan to do some cycling over the next few days while I'm icing and wrapping. Then I can see how I'm feeling early next week. I have good cross-trainers, maybe I just pushed too hard. In the meantime I need to keep my diet in check and keep in mind that it's only temporary.

Thanks for all the support, you guys are the best!