Do you tell everyone?

Options

Replies

• PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've explicitly told very few people (parents and 1 or 2 friends) that I'm trying to lose weight. Everyone else that knows noticed I lost weight or noticed my eating habits changed and asked about it. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind keeping it as a surprise. lol Of course that only works with people I don't really see. haha I would rather share the details with others that are trying to lose weight since they would be more understanding since they're going through the same things.
  • illipina
    illipina Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I only let people that are on my friends list view. I find it helpful. Most people in my friends list have different goals so our calorie intake and exercise are different too. My experience has been positive. Someone else mentioned accountability and I personally feel more responsibility when I know people are there looking and giving me comments/advise. I wasn't even logging in my food everyday which made the whole program for me pointless, so now its one of my most helpful tool. I have positive friends on here and if one of them made comments that were mean for the sake of being mean or negative towards my goal can easily just unfriend them. Positive people with helpful suggestions/advise are the only ones I'd want around.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hell yes I tell everyone and their brother what I am doing LOL for several reasons... it keeps me accountable...and motivated ( failure is not an option) and also sometimes it helps motivate others to get moving. :)
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose of your question? What are you trying to accomplish by asking it?
  • spinnybecky
    Options
    No way. My husband knows, along with some other friends who are also working on losing weight. I don't discuss it with anyone else, unless they notice my weight loss and ask about it. Usually I'll just say, "thank you, I've been working on it." and leave it at that when someone notices my weight loss.

I am a private person and for me it is just too personal to share with more than a select few.
  • kim_mcintire
    Options
    I agree that it holds you accountable. And If no one knows, who will encourage you through your weight loss journey? I hope you have people in your life who will do that. It makes a HUGE difference! If not- become friends with some MFP's who can cheer you on!!! It has been proven that people who have others to encourage them are more likely to stick with their weight loss plan. Good luck!!!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't make a point of telling people, but I don't hide it either. If you tell people, it can be helpful to keep you accountable, but it also opens you up to alot of opinions that you never asked for. Ultimately I just do my own thing and if people ask me about it I'm more than happy to share.

This is me too. I find that when I tell everybody, the burden of success is too much and I go into failure mode. This time I told a few close friends, some of whom have joined me on MFP for support and accountability. I share my struggles and my celebrations with them. When others notice, I say thank you and move on. If they ask me what I'm doing, I tell them but give them the disclaimer that everyone is different and what works for me may not work for them.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I usually am pretty hesitant about it, especially to friends. My family is pretty supportive but my friends avoid commenting and change the subject when I even mention anything about it. I just took it as a queue to never even bring up health related topics.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    now that is FUNNY!
    PEOPLE DO!
    I DO NOT!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My wife and you guys.....that's it. Everybody else will just ask questions and expect you to lose 50 pounds in one week because they know better!
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tell EVERYONE!!! with a rediculous amount of enthusiasm... not only does it keep me accountable, but also keeps me pumped! The more I talk about it the more it is in the front of my brain. And to those who want to tell me how to do it? I listen! If they are in great shape, I will always take what they have into consideration, it doesn't mean I have to do it their way, but I may tweak something I already do to make it better. If they clearly have no room to provide guidance, I just thank them and politely remind them that what I do is working just fine.
  • outscore23
    outscore23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. The people close to me know I am trying to lose, that is what matters to me. However, I have to be careful to accept their help - and how they give it. For instance the other day I came home from a tough interval training at the local Y and grabbed about 10 pieces of popcorn. Immediately my husband was on be about sabotaging myself. I immediately went to the mindset of I just worked out I think I can have 10 pieces of popcorn. I realized though that he means well and is right! I need to get out of the mindset that I earned food through my workout.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I only tell my heavier set friends to guilt them into doing the same.
  • nvrgvup12
    nvrgvup12 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't make a point of telling people, but I don't hide it either. If you tell people, it can be helpful to keep you accountable, but it also opens you up to alot of opinions that you never asked for. Ultimately I just do my own thing and if people ask me about it I'm more than happy to share.

Ditto!
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I only have a few pounds to lose- so I don't tell anyone.
    You really get a lot of comments from people when you have only less to lose.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Every time I told people in the past, I ended up failing and gaining back the weight, plus some. Also a lot of people felt like it was an invitation to tell me how to lose weight or what I was doing wrong.

^^^THIS!

I've started and stopped my journey so many times...I feel like at this point, if I made the big FB announcement, everyone would either blow it off or be waiting for me to fail again.

Nope, this isn't for THEM, it's for ME! I have the support of my husband and a few choice friends/family members and that's all I need. The rest will figure it out when they see me shrinking.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've shared major milestones with friends and family (two milestones so far). I also mention it if someone is offering me high calorie food. I don't want to keep it a secret. A surprise weight loss, especially over a hundred pounds which is what I'm going for, could lead to people being concerned that I'm ill.

Unlike some of the people who have posted, no one has given me any unsolicited diet or exercise advice. No one mentions it except for a quick, "You look good.". I see no cons to telling people.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I only told my closest friends but there is a point where people will take notice and then it's out. I never really thought of it in terms of pros and cons. People all definitely have their opinions on weight-loss but for the most part I haven't had anyone try and give me advice. I did have one person try to convince me to go gluten-free but I said no and that was the end of it. They all see my results which is proof that what I'm doing is working for me.
  • jkprof
    jkprof Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like your reply. It really allows us to know who our friends are at work--they notice, they congratulate, they celebrate and don't pry. Selectivity is important. jk
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I told my boyfriend and my select few friends from real life who are already on MFP. My family doesn't even really know at this point. I am just waiting for them to notice the change. I am still embarrassed/ashamed of myself and feel awkward talking about my weight to everyone.

Also, I don't want everyone I know to be obsessed over things I eat/do. I am doing fine on my own and don't need everyone's advice and input. I already get my support from a select few people, and that's all I need right now.

I'm hoping I'll gain more confidence as I lose more weight and eventually be able to be more open about it.