High schooler benches 700 lbs

Options
denezy
denezy Posts: 573 Member
Seeing as how my last post generated so much talk about power lifting form, here is the male version.

http://mashable.com/2013/03/27/high-schooler-bench-press/

According to the YouTube video above and news reports from earlier this week, you're looking at Matt Poursoltani, a senior at Pilot Point High in Texas. He's a high school football player and just set a new Texas state weightlifting record by bench pressing a jaw-dropping 700 pounds.

Video of Poursoltani's feat has become a hit with sports fans online, and for good reason — it's reportedly just five pounds less than the NFL bench press record.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    In before people finding reasons that it's not that good anyway.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Are those plates 100 lbs each? Never seen that before.

But, if it is 700 lbs.... then damn. That's almost as much as I bench, and he's half my age.
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    good bench, but thats a plyed shirt, i.e. the shirt is doing quite a bit of work and providing a ton of support.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    good bench, but thats a plyed shirt, i.e. the shirt is doing quite a bit of work and providing a ton of support.

and there it is.
  • denezy
    Options
    Haha! I love you all!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    His form was actually fine, non of that crazy back arching with 3" ROM like that girl did. He racked it by himself, too. Impressive.
  • denezy
    Options
    His form was actually fine, non of that crazy back arching with 3" ROM like that girl did. He racked it by himself, too. Impressive.

Just a different angle, his back was arched off the bench.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Not as severely. Some arching is natural but that girl went full bridge.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Not as severely. Some arching is natural but that girl went full bridge.

Because she's a 13 yo girl, and therefore can. You can bet your *kitten* that if 24 year old powerlifters could do that to add 50lb to their 1RM they would.