Which do you prefer?

Options
emmymcq
emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
When eating a salad, do you choose a fat-free/low fat option for dressing, even if its laced with added sugars? Or, do you do for the real thing? Full fat, but little to not added sugar? For example, honey mustard dressing is the fat free option at the restaurant you're at. While being lower calorie and fat free, it has 20grams of sugar per serving. The full fat option is ranch, but it has 22grams of fat per serving and 3 grams of sugar.

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I go for the one with the fat...having fats in your diet isnt bad, and it leaves room for the kind of carbs i want to eat...but that is just my preference
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Real thing for everything.

I don't choose "low fat" anything. If I can't fit the real thing into my day, I opt for something else completely.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I choose the real thing, but really actually prefer oil and vinegar.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I don't have dressing with most of my salads anymore, but if I do I go for a low fat version.
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    For salad dressing, I like the real stuff. I try not to eat copious amounts of it though.

I'd rather eat less of what I like, than more of what I do not. Across the board.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have the real thing. It's way more satisfying.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't like dressing, I prefer to just eat it plain. But, I'd rather eat more fats than carbs/sugars since that seems to be the point of the questions. I'll choose lower fat versions of things to save some calories but I make sure to eat enough fat.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I don't go low fat....for the very reasons Crankstr posted.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I usually get full-fat blue cheese or balsamic vinaigrette on the side. At home I just use a good quality balsamic vinegar, sometimes a little olive oil, sometimes none.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Real thing.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Real, all the way. Natural > unnatural
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Full fat, if I choose a dressing, I always go for whole food over some chemical combo. Normally I just use avocado or nuts and season with some citrus (instead of oil & vinegar).

Certain awesome nutrients in salad vegetables are fat soluble (like vitamins D,E,K,A) so you don't fully adsorb them without fat included as a transporter. Even a sprinkle of nuts or seeds increase your nutrient profile if avocado or oil is not your thing.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    LOL'ed @ "laced with sugar" . So that is what the drug cartels are doing to maximize profits.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I love ranch dressing, but try to use only one or two tablespoons, ande not often. If I have fruit on my salad I use a fruit-flavored yogurt for dressing. If it's a rare beefsteak salad I use ranch, and work it in to my daily food diary. "Fat free" usually means added sugar, and "diet" means chemical crap added for taste.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I go for the mid fat and low sugar option. An Italian or a vinaigrette. I usually get salads at places that I know offer homemade options sweetened with honey or agave nectar or fruit.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't like ranch, and I like sweet things, so the low-fat honey mustard for me. I can still add fat to the salad in the form of cheese and nuts.

You can also make your own honey-mustard dressing out of, well, honey and mustard. Naturally fat-free. Thin it out with a little water or fruit juice to make it pour easier if you like. Or add some Greek yogurt if you like it creamier.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When eating a salad, do you choose a fat-free/low fat option for dressing, even if its laced with added sugars? Or, do you do for the real thing? Full fat, but little to not added sugar? For example, honey mustard dressing is the fat free option at the restaurant you're at. While being lower calorie and fat free, it has 20grams of sugar per serving. The full fat option is ranch, but it has 22grams of fat per serving and 3 grams of sugar.

So, honey mustard is "laced with added sugar"? You do know that honey mustard is made primarily of honey and mustard, right? So it's naturally low in fat and high in sugar.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Full Fat, on the side.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Real thing for everything : )
  • clhendy
    clhendy Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't ever use dressing anymore. Fresh salsa tastes amazing on top of salads. Or try Walden Farms. They have no calorie, no fat, no sugar dressings that actually taste like the real thing.