Resolving to lose the weight and sticking to it

Options
Hello,
I just wanted to hear how everyone stuck to their diet and prevent themselves from getting derailed. i can;t seem to stay on track

Replies

• ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Things that work for me:

"I worked pretty damn hard to get here. There's no way I am wasting all that time and effort"

"Ok let's look at the big picture. This slice of gourmet pizza was good. Do I really need another slice? Is this my once in a lifetime chance to enjoy this pizza? Probably not... And by not pigging out on it I will hopefully add some years to my life to enjoy it once in a while"

"I am not going to think of all the reasons why I don't want to go to the gym. I know I will feel better physically and emotionally after the workout so I am just going to drag my *kitten* there for now"
  • khemory
    khemory Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ^ great motivation. I needed those too!
  • Winks0118
    Winks0118 Posts: 25
    Options
    I found a good workout partner. We motivate eachother, which helps a lot! I have also found that if I record my calories beforehand and edit them as the day goes along, it helps me to stay on track.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    for me its been a journey of learning . for 2 1/2 years I went from 250 pounds to my current 176 pounds. I am still learning even on the home stretch. first find what works for you personally. experiment with different things . there is no one size fits all method to fitness and healthy eating.

for me I found doing 3 meals and 2 snacks mini meals spacing them out by 2-3 hours has helped me a lot. I still need to make wiser choices

I went from sedentary to lightly active keep myself moving. listen to what your body tells you. your body knows your needs better than anyone else can.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I just wanted to hear how everyone stuck to their diet and prevent themselves from getting derailed. i can;t seem to tay on track

Stand in front of a full length mirror in your pants.... Happy? No? Put down the cake and go work out!
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals, snacks included, for a week and only buy what I need. Not having junk food in the house helps.

Same applies to workouts. I know I have to have three a week no matter what, so I pick my days and work the rest of my activities around my workouts, not the opposite.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    My daughter had a baby in December and I decided that it was time for me to be healthier and lose some weight so that I can be around to watch him grow up. I also have diabetes and had a big spike in my A1c and really need to get a better control on my blood sugars. My doctor changed up some of the medication that I am on and I have found that it has been even more important to regulate what I eat and to exercise regularly. :glasses:
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Days that I have to work, I work out first thing in the morning to get it out of the way. That way I'm not dreading it all day, and if I'm too tired to work out more when I get home, thats ok.
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I just wanted to hear how everyone stuck to their diet and prevent themselves from getting derailed. i can;t seem to tay on track

Stand in front of a full length mirror in your pants.... Happy? No? Put down the cake and go work out!

hahaha i do this everyday!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    its like city slickers (if your old enough to remember that movie) - you have to find your own "one thing". one reason it is worth it to you. for me, I want to be a healthy and active grandmother some day. My mom is 70 and she is frale and weak and my friends mom is also 70 and is active and enjoying life... i choose the latter!

Also, when all is said and done, you just have to DO IT. Just commit and not let anything get in your way.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is not eliminating any food from my life, but rather setting up rules that I follow as closely as possible (there are ALWAYS exceptions).

1) Pack your lunch 4 days a week, on the 5th go out but have something decently healthy that will keep you within your goals
    2) DO not eat "extras" that coworkers bring in
    3) Limit alcohol consumption to 1-2 drinks per night if drinking on a week night (3-4 if drinking on a weekend) * this does NOT mean you should drink every single day, just in moderation when you do*
    4) On Holidays fill up one plate with a scoop of everything that you want, wait an hour before seconds
    5) When eating dessert, measure the portion you WANT and then half it, wait an hour before getting the other half

Having these boundaries helped me, find what triggers over eating for you and build your own boundaries to prevent it.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Ultimately you have to drop the excuses. There is always another special occasion, always another reason to eat more and move less. If you are like me and have a limited amount of willpower you need to keep it simple. Just say no to everything until you are at your goal.
    NO fast food so that you aren't tempted to order the latest greatest unhealthy treat instead of the salad you said you would order
    NO booze so that as you get happy your decision to limit the quantity doesn't fade
    NO out to dinner with the friends who always order desert and appetizers
    NO excuses for not moving (sick? no sleep? hard day? - suck it up, no excuses allowed)
    NO believing it isn't working just because the scale doesn't show it.
    NO to anything that has made you stumble in the past.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I got to the point that I found a goal that I wanted more than I wanted to NOT exercise, (to be out of pain from my bad knee), then I just made up my mind that it wasn't even a choice to be made. I would just never ask myself the question of whether I WANTED to do this because wanting to or feeling like it is really irrelevant. I just have to drag my butt out of bed in the morning and just get it done. If I let myself consider whether I felt like it, it would never get done because I NEVER want to ..... not even after 15 minutes or 40 days. I don't have a clue what people mean when they say the adrenaline rush will kick in and you won't want to stop. I always want to stop and am glad when it's over. But it's something I need to do for reasons bigger than my apathy and discomfort so I just don't ask the question. I just do it by the grace of God who gives me strength to get through it no matter how I am feeling.
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a totally stubborn person so once I've made the commitment to stick to this I am too stubborn to ever go over on my calories. I eat whatever I want...as long as I can fit it in my daily calorie allowance.
  • Melli_81
    Melli_81 Posts: 13
    Options
    Bump
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    1. It requires a decision on your part to do it.
    2. You need to stick to that decision. How?
    3. take some time to figure out what foods trigger you to overeat. We all have them. Then eliminate them from your home and life completely. Don't go to restaurants that serve it, etc.
    4 Figure out what situations/people trigger you to overeat. Avoid them completely.
    5. Log every single freaking thing you put in your mouth. No skipping, no "oh that doesn't count." EVERYTHING.
    6. Eat the same meals over and over again. Almost every morning for breakfast I have four eggs (two whole, two whites) a 100 calorie pack of wholly guacamole and some salsa. I also make a huge pot of chili or stew (ideally enough for 10 portions) then measure the portions out into storage containers and freeze them. that's two weeks of the lunches. The Recipe tab on MFP let's you very accurately track the calories per serving.
    7 For dinner I have protein (fish, beef, chicken, pork) and heat up some frozen veggies like spinach or mixed vegetables. If this seems boring, it is. It's designed so that you know exactly what you are going to eat each day. Many days I pre-log my meals in the morning. This helps me avoid cheating and avoid deviating from plan.
    8. Exercise. If you find that if you get home from work and sit down and then don't exercise, don't sit down.

It took me about a month of doing this consistently to create new, healthier habits for myself. I do Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb diet, which is essential eating Primal (plus beans) with one cheat day per week. There is a group on here with more details or you can just google it.

Find a plan that works for and stick with it. You have to be accountable for your actions and your body. Until you are, making lasting changes is going to be impossible.

Good luck.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm a totally stubborn person so once I've made the commitment to stick to this I am too stubborn to ever go over on my calories. I eat whatever I want...as long as I can fit it in my daily calorie allowance.

I go over all the time, I just exercise to make up for it.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hello,I just wanted to hear how everyone stuck to their diet and prevent themselves from getting derailed. i can;t seem to stay on track

Log everything - the good, the bad, the ugly. I took a break for the holidays, then took a long vacation, upped my calories, and had trouble getting out to exercise during the cold Minnesota winter, but through it all, I did my best to stay consistent with my logging. And after four months of not being rigid at all about my diet and exercise - not saying that I didn't try, but I wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination - I'm one pound lighter than where I was at the beginning of December. In the past, when I've pulled back from a 'diet,' I've piled weight back on quickly, and this time I didn't encounter that because I was still logging, and just the act of writing it down here on MFP kept me somewhat on track. Best advice - If you bite it, write it.

Something else I've found to keep me motivated when progress seems to stall or my weight loss hits a plateau - going back 6 months or a year to see what my weight was and see how far I've come. It can be really hard to recognize your progress on a day-to-day level because it happens so slowly, but checking in with old measurements can really bring it home.

My final piece of advice, don't let one bad meal, or day, or even week completely derail your progress. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back at it. Good luck!
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    I am with BlackKat - Keep LOGGING!!

You have to look at this as a LIFESTYLE change... Not a "diet". The word diet intimates something with a beginning, and an end.. Where we can go back to eating as before. And let's be honest, if we go back to what we did before, then we will go back to weighing what we did before!!

Some time ago I was bemoaning the fact that I seemed to put on weight so much easier than my slender workmates. I opined that I just had a "sucky" metabolism... Then I started to take notice of what they ate and did. Lots of salads and good food.. One particular girl comes to mind. She appeared "effortlessly" athletic.. Turns out, she is remarkably careful with her food, runs 10kms every day, and does half marathons for fun. That forced me to drop my excuses and take a long hard look at my then prolific snacking habits. I knewI had to make PERMANENT changes to my relationship to food and exercise (not that I plan on running a half marathon any time soon..LOL)

Track and make yourself accountable. You have come so far. You can do this! ((hugss))