No will power. Suggestions??

Options
Hello MFPs-

Please help. I need some suggestions to stop thinking about food AND to stop EATING everything in front of me.

Since joining MFP I have reduced my serving sizes dramatically but still find myself struggling with being hungry constantly. I plan my meals, pack my lunches for work but still stumble upon cookies and cakes and extra snacks through-out the day. My mind gets hung up on them and I can't think about anything but my hunger and how much 'need' to have that extra snack. Its not even 9am and I have already had a piece of cake.

My work requires me to work long hours 7am-6pm, on those days I do less exercise. This week I work three long hour days in a row. It seems as if the days that I work longer hours I have less will power to say no.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have tried drinking water and tea (which I do through-out the entire day). I need to find a way to stop thinking about food every minute of the day!! It is very upsetting.

Yesterday I went over my calories and I am on track to do the same today. Even if I just eat my planned meals I will be over. My stomach is already growling. Seriously, it is physically making noises. It's not just mental. :(

I would love to hear from other people who have had similar struggles and how they over came them.

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Fiber will help fill you up. Try eating more whole foods, less processed snack stuff.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I work 9 hours M-W-F, and 13 hours on T-TH. The past week has been rough (along with an illness), but I went to the grocery store yesterday and stocked up my work fridge. Salad, olives, Wheat Thins, yogurt, string cheese... Those things can keep you full and still under calorie. Also, think to yourself if you really ARE hungry, or if you just want a snack. Pack snack-baggies of pretzels, crackers...healthy stuff, so that when it's gone, it's gone. Don't take the box to work because you'll find yourself eating the whole thing. :laugh:

I think the biggest thing to remember is that no matter what, you're going to have weeks where you gain a pound, lose a pound, stay where you're at. You're gonna have a few days where you overindulge, go under... it's ok. Just remember to log. My motivation is logging in everyday. When I see "You've logged in for xx days now!", I'm like..."Man...I gained a pound last week, but damn...I've been logging for x weeks and I overall lost x pounds. That's pretty badass."
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Sounds like u arent eating right. What did u have for breakfast? Your stomach wouldnt be growling already if u were properly fueled.
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    Do you track after you eat stuff, like on your phone? Look up the calories for it before you grab a cookie or two and it might change your mind.
    You can eat a larger breakfast, or something filled with more fiber or protein. Try to pack your lunch/dinner the same too.
    Still wanting to snack? I have to stop myself if I am about to eat something I don't need, breath, and remind myself that it won't matter in 20 minutes if I ate that or not. Get to your work and it'll distract you! :)
  • pj12string
    pj12string Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Have you tried starting your day with Shakeology. It is very nutritious and has helped curb my appetite. I have a chocolate addiction and it does a pretty good job at satisfying my desire for chocolate. It is a little expensive, but give it a try.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    you may find that Low GI food such as Oats, nuts, and grains, will help,
    also some good protein, maybe some tined tuna or lean meat / chicken or egg whites,
    and Chromium tablets will help with cravings for for sweet stuff.
  • ThinkThinForever
    Options
    The best time to eat is when your not hungry. Grab a banana or an Apple in the morning. Gives you sugar for energy to get through the morning and eat foods with "complex carbs" foods that give you a fuller feeling... fiber. Oats. Nuts. Ect. Stay strong!!!!! You can do this!!! Think thin!!!! Keep a picture of a super model or someone sexy in which you love their body and pin it up somewhere where it forces to look at it every day. Will motivate you a little more I think.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree with these.

For brekkie, try something like Granola, with low GL, I have this most days 50g serving and Im full until lunch.

Also with the snacks, take some fruit with you and eat these through the day, we also pack snakcs as well. Here in the UK we buy a Graze box a week, 4 healthy 30g snack. US dont have it, not sure if you have somthing similar. If not, get some small tubs, that holds no more than 30g of say wasabi peas (these are very nice 30g = 100cals approx) and pack a couple of these as a morning and afternoon snack, you can buy nuts, seeds, dried fruit etc in big packs, just pack a few of these in your tubs and give yourselve a time when you are going to eat them ie 1100 and 1500 for example.

Also I agreee try logging what you are going to eat for the day, and when you do come across cookies etc, look up the calories before you eat them, this should discourage you. One of the biggest thing that made me realise how high cals thing were was when I missed breakfast and decided to have a burger king double cheeseburger (probably not the best thing to write) it was 933 cals meaning I only had 267cal left for day. I didnt feel satified. I would suspect you dont either.

If you are tempted grab some fruit although it has cals in it not nearly as much as the cakes and cookies you are eating.

You can add me if you want some support
  • es5864
    es5864 Posts: 28
    Options
    My will power sucks too. Ha! Here is how I helped overcome my food cravings.
    I portioned out snacks every night for work and play the next day. I know about 9 am I get hungry so I bring an apple or banana to work to get that sweet fix but not breaking my day. Then, after I eat lunch, I know at about 2 or 3 pm I really want chocolate! I bring a chocolate granola bar or a few chocolate covered pretzels to satisfy my chocolate craving. I also recently tried Fiber One 90 calorie chocolate brownies... they were pretty good and good if you need more fiber in your diet!

I definitely have those days when I think about food constantly. My best suggestion is keep snacking on healthy stuff instead of grabbing a piece of cake. Check out www.fitnessmagazine.com. They have great articles and tools for this kind of stuff. It's like my Bible. Lol! Good luck!
  • cali798x
    cali798x Posts: 32
    Options
    you may find that Low GI food such as Oats, nuts, and grains, will help,
    also some good protein, maybe some tined tuna or lean meat / chicken or egg whites,
    and Chromium tablets will help with cravings for for sweet stuff.

I second that.

It seems per your diary that you are consuming a high level of sugar. This stuff is addictive and can cause you to be hungry due to a hormonal unbalance that it causes. So try at least in the morning to eat protein and low GI food.
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions.

I already pack my lunch and try to keep healthy snacks near by.

I have also looked up the caloric intake for the cookies that I'm about to eat and IT HASNT STOPPED ME. It's as if I become obsessed with it. The more I try to fight the urge to have it the more I desire it. :(

Thank you for all the great ideas. I look forward to trying them out.

xoxox MFPs
  • es5864
    es5864 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have the same problem. I know it's hard to actually do, but a doctor told me once, if you're hungry, eat an apple. If you don't want to eat an apple, you probably aren't really that hungry. Keep apples or pears with you in your purse. If you see a piece of cake, take out your apple and eat that instead! I know it doesn't have the same creamy texture and not as tasty, but apples are still sweet so it might be able to hit your sweet spot!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I really hope I don't come off rude at all because I want to help, but I work 7:30a-6:30p Monday-Friday and I don't use those long hours as an excuse to not work out or make bad food decisions. I work out right when I get home, before dinner, so I make sure I have a really good snack around 4pm to power me through my workout. I guess my routine is so established that I don't even think about skipping, unless I'm sick or there's something else I have to do right after work. As for eating at work, I only eat what I bring, nothing else. I pack bfast, lunch, and 2 snacks (morning and afternoon).

Food temptations...those are tough and they will always be there. It doesn't mean you should always deprive yourself, but you shouldn't always give in either. As long as most of your days of the week are good (making your net calorie goals) then you're doing fine. If you're going over your cals more often than not, try to cut back on the treats a little bit. I used to have a huge problem with donuts. I love them SO much, and I used to have 2 daily for breakfast. Now I'll get one every now and then when I REALLY want one. Maybe once a month or so. I would never be able to go through life without another donut!

You can do it!
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    With me, I've found if I let myself have one "naughty" thing a day I'm less inclined to actually eat it. I think its the "I want what I can't have" thing. Moderation....those butterfinger nesteggs are ok....in moderation. Don't completely deprive yourself of little treats now and then, when I do that I just want them more.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard. I struggle with the cravings every day. I was thinking about this earlier this week - why can I push myself to finish 13.1 miles in freezing cold weather but I can't seem to push myself away from M&M's that are sitting on my co-worker's desk? For me, I realized it's all about changing the way I think. Instead of I CAN'T have that cookie I'm trying to look at it as I WON'T have that cookie. I can have the cookie but then I'll feel down about myself all day and it will probably push me to want to eat more later. I won't have the cookie because I don't like how I feel when I give into my cravings. I won't have that cookie because it won't help me reach my ultimate goal of being fit and healthy. Or, I will have that cookie because I can afford the calories and I feel like having a treat today.

To me "can't" infers someone else is controlling what I do; "won't" means I am in control of what I do and when I do it. I've actually told people before who say "aww, come on....you can have just one" that yes, I can have one but I choose not to, thank you anyway. Most people don't know what to say to that so they just shut up and chew.

Good luck. I know that we can do this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is that you in your profile pic?

What are your height & weight?
  • spicacio
    spicacio Posts: 33
    Options
    I feel your pain. I will turn 40 in May and believe you me, I have a sweet tooth the size of the Grand Canyon! BUT... At the end of the day for me it's all about goals and NOT wanting to be where I was back in JAN of this year. I agree with a lot of things people are saying here. Try finding healthy snacks that work for YOUR body. What works for me may not work for you. I have surfed around these forums and have found tid bits from different memebers and they have worked great!

I have been very faithful about following a ceratin diet and have stuck to it. Yes my body still wants what it wants but the cravings do get easier and I have been able to walk away from all the crap that made me come to this site in the first place. I weighed in this JAN at my heaviest I've ever been my whole life. 201lbs. That's not good at all for my body frame and especially not good being in the Military. I am now down to 187 and have made some serious lifestyle changes in order for me to maintain all the hard work that I've done.

I eat: Steel Cut Oats, Cottage Cheese with fresh fruit on the top, low fat granola, COSTCO has these GREAT steak strips that are thick cuts of beef jerky that have great protien in them which keep me full if I want to snack on something. Kiwi fruit works awesome in satisfying my cravings as well. Again, you have to find what works for you.

I am all about TOUGH LOVE too! Will power is just that... If you have the strength to make it through an extra set at the gym or run an extra mile out on the road, then you should apply that to your cravings. You can't let all your hard work go down the tubes over Little Debbie snack cakes and other junk. Also at the end of the day you are only hurting one person, YOURSELF.

Deep dpwn inside you know you are better than that! Deep down inside you have what it takes to crush the cravings and keep the boat on course.

Dig deep, do your research, never be afraid of asking for help (Which you did and is very awesome!) and remember that it's ok to fall off the bike now and then and get scraped up... It's how you recover and bounce back that will determine if your boat stays on course or not. YOU GOT THIS!! STICK WITH IT AND OVERCOME!

Good luck and thanks to all the fellow Pals out there that posted to help out a sister in need.

Santos
  • Mokosh
    Mokosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Man, I don't know. I'm so hungry right now, and I just ate such light dinner and I'm still hungry. I ate lettuce and one slice of rye bread with thin icing of cheese spread. So I just drank 2 glasses of water and now I'm here for some support. It's hard to live on 1300kcal daily, I don't know how people do it for a long period of time. BTW this is my 5th good day in a row, so YAAY ME!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    From the looks of your profile picture, you don't have much to worry about. Also, most days you have quite a few calories left on the table that you could eat.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Is that a current picture of you in your profile pic? You look healthy and fit.