First Half Marathon

Options
zooles
zooles Posts: 93 Member
OK peeps, here goes. I am officially training for my first half marathon this September in Tahoe. My boss talked me into it instead of a 10K since I have already done on of those a few years ago and since I have six months plus one week from today to train for it.

Any helpful hints/advice/nutrition tips out there? Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Don't over train.

Active rest on non-run days.

Don't worry about time. It will be faster for the race because of the race-hype.

Have fun. I didn't realize how much fun it can be to run 13 miles! lol.

Oh and if you have access.... hit the sauna after your long runs :-)
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Six months should give you plenty of time to train. I did my first half marathon last fall and am currently training for a 10 mile in a couple weeks and debating on whether to do a half the beginning of June. If you are able to run a 5K most programs that progress to a half marathon are 3 months long. Biggest thing is take your time. Make dang sure you have good shoes and that they are in good shape. Other than shoes, spend money on decent socks. The rest of the clothes that are touted for runners are optional but the shoes and socks are essential.

In my opinion a half is still not a long enough race to worry about eating during a run to keep yourself fueled but I know some people have to. I guess each person is different.

Running can be addicting. I love the high after completing a long run or a distance you have never done before. Sometimes hate it starting out though. Especially at 5AM in the morning when it is only 15 degrees above zero outside.
  • zooles
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm pretty slow. My 5K averages 5mph. The last time I lost 50+lbs was when I was running 6-8 miles/day. It is a great stress relief for me, especially with raising a 14yo boy, 12yo boy and 9yo girl myself.

Bring it!!!!
  • chesh1520
    chesh1520 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half also. It is on May 5th. Reaching distances that you have never run before brings a huge rush! I ran 10 miles for the first time last Saturday and it was so rewarding. You will do great, just keep at it. You are only racing against yourself, so just do what you can.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    set weekly or monthly distance goals (i upped my total distance by one mile each week), and set a schedule, which days are run days and which are rest days. Having a freind to motivate you is also a huge help. I do my long run every Saturday morning with my super fast up beat gf, even when I dont feel like running she gets me back in the spirit.

OH and when you start getting up into the big miles, like 9+ miles in one run make sure to refuel afterwards! I kept my same MFP diet on those days and was a zombie after my morning run, now i make sure to eat an extra 100-200 calories before hand and another 100-200 extra afterwards and my day isn't ruined by my run :)
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I ran two half marathons (which included another two practice races) last year, and am training for my next one which is on May 26. Agree with the shoes and socks. I'd recommend Body Glide as it does help chafing. Also if you are going to be fueling during the race (gels, drinks, gummies- whatever you choose), make sure to be testing them during training. This should not be left to chance, as if you do something different on race day- you could end up with some gastro problems. If racing, I always bring my own gels, just because I know how they affect me on my runs.

Other than that, go out and have a ball. Remember to take it at your pace, and really take in the sights. It is definitely amazing to see all the crowd cheering and encouraging you.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You have lots of time, so don't sweat it.

-Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% each week
    -Strength train! Lunges! Squats! Planks! Body weight is fine while training.
    -Make sure you taper for 1-2 weeks before
    -learn your nutrition/hydration needs on your long runs (get into a schedule, so your body knows 'on Sunday, we wake up at this time, eat this food, and run)
    -don't try anything new on race day
    -if the race offers sports drinks and water at aid stations, and you want to drink the sports drink, train with that specific brand and flavor
    -if you get sick, just count it as lost weeks, don't try to make up the mileage.
    and most importantly, have fun!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you work your mileage on your long runs up to the full 13.1 or close prior to the race. The training program that I did for my first half only got me up to 9 miles on the long runs and by mile 10 in the race I was wiped. For my 2nd half I worked up to 12 miles a few weeks before the race and I think it helped a lot that my body and mind knew that I could go the distance.
  • zooles
    Options
    I did find a 12 week program that I think I will run each week twice since I have that kind of time.

Will definitely look into the socks and have an appt for my stride to get looked at.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing it is have fun! I am running my second half in about a week and a half :) Find what works for you and don't change that on race day. If you bring energy chews on your long runs, do that at the race. If you haven't been practicing with food, don't do it at the race. For me I always carb load starting the day before.

Feel free to add me! Anyone can add me...I love my running friends!
  • zooles
    Options
    Thank you all. I found a 12 week program. Since I have double that time, I am going to do each week twice. Then I will try to do a couple of runs in Tahoe when I can get up there to see how the altitude change will kick my butt. Up to 4 miles so far. The most I've ever done before is 8. I am really looking forward to this!!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I agree with don't overtrain..that will just cause injury. Steadily increase your mileage-you have the time to do it. Good luck! My first is on May 5th!
  • zooles
    Options
    Happy running to all of you!!!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My first half is in October.... *listening in*
  • Jaja_Joli
    Jaja_Joli Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very simple: Just believe in yourself and in your training… and have fun!
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10k first. My next race was a half. Last fall I ran my first full marathon. I currently run 120-140 miles a month, 6 days a week on average.

Find a plan. Hal Higdon has some really good novice training plans for half marathons. They are usually about 4 months long so you are in good shape as far as time goes.

My single best piece of advice for you when you set out on those scheduled runs, is sllooowwww down. People worry way too much about how they look, and how fast they train. If your goal pace is a 10:00 mile. Run your long runs up to a full minute slower. You will get a chance to go faster with progressive runs, tempo runs, and speed work.

Running faster, or adding miles to fast will just get you injured, and set you back. Plus, you need to go less intense during a plan like that. The cumulative fatigue on your body after a few weeks breaks a lot of people down. So stick to the plan, and run slower.

The second piece piece of advice I would give is add core training and strength training. It's absolutely vital. If you don't get stronger, especially in the core, your form will break down and you will fatigue sooner, race slower, and possible even injure yourself.

Running form/stride is big too, but everyone is different, and that is something that you will have to focus on and evaluate to see what works best for you, but at a minimum you should concentrate on mid to forefoot strikes when you land (middle to front of foot). If you are crashing down on your heels you are braking and running inefficiently.

Proper running shoes is insanely important based on what kind of arches/shape of foot you have, combined with your gait. Nutrition is important as well, but with me it wasn't a huge deal until I ran a full marathon. There, it is critical to prevent hitting the wall.

What else? Water, water, water. Hydrate!!
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Six months should give you plenty of time to train. I did my first half marathon last fall and am currently training for a 10 mile in a couple weeks and debating on whether to do a half the beginning of June. If you are able to run a 5K most programs that progress to a half marathon are 3 months long. Biggest thing is take your time. Make dang sure you have good shoes and that they are in good shape. Other than shoes, spend money on decent socks. The rest of the clothes that are touted for runners are optional but the shoes and socks are essential.

In my opinion a half is still not a long enough race to worry about eating during a run to keep yourself fueled but I know some people have to. I guess each person is different.

Running can be addicting. I love the high after completing a long run or a distance you have never done before. Sometimes hate it starting out though. Especially at 5AM in the morning when it is only 15 degrees above zero outside.

Any specific socks you recommend?
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My first is in September so thank you for all the awesome advice! :flowerforyou:
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    the very first time i ran a 1/2 marathon, i had never in my life ran for that kind of distance, well with one caveat. I was running about 3 days a week. 8 miles per day with little effort.

The only reason I did the 1/2 marathon was because a running buddy signed us up to do the long beach 1/2 marathon one week prior to the event, so it was quite unplanned.

having said that, dont over train, get plenty of rest, eat well, start to carbo load up 2 days prior to race day, on race day dont have any foods that dont sit well with your stomach, keep a comfortable pace, GOOD RUNNING FORM, and have fun.

gauge your progress by how wiped out you feel after a 5 mile run, an 8 mile run, 10mile run, etc... that'll give you an idea what you'll go through when running 13.1.

running at the wrong pace will definitely screw up your race day if you go at it too aggressively. if while running the event your running form/posture gets really bad stop running and just walk a couple of miles until you get 2nd wind, then carry on with a good jogging pace again.

year of running on the pavement has prevented me from running in over 10 years, i miss it a whole lot, and might be able to run again once i get to my goal weight, right now i am just too heavy which causes knee pains.

best of luck
  • zooles
    Options
    I found a 12 week program that I am currently on week three of. I am doing each week twice in succession. I have been with a trainer/friend/step in hubby for 7 months or so now. We are very much on the same wavelength. I will continue all of my cross training with him and he definitely keeps me accountable.

I have done a 10K before a few years back and had a great time.

Please feel free to check my diary out. I know I need to start eating more good carbs with this new plan. Originally I have been protein heavy trying to get my muscle built up.

And I love my rest days too much to push it. :laugh: