HRM suggestions

Options
Hello,

I have had my current heart rate monitor for about 2 years. I think it may be time to replace the battery. However, I have been looking at other models and brands and wondering if I should get an upgrade.

Sometimes, I don't feel like it calculates things very accurately. For instance, I will take a 60 minute spin class, get my heart rate up in my target zone, work up a sweat and I may burn between 350-400 calories. Seems a little low to me. Perhaps my chest strap isn't placed correctly or just doesn't stay on right, but sometimes it will show my heart rate as 00... Um... I know my heart is beating, I'm alive.

My sister got it for me, it is a Polar brand and I think it's either an F4 or F6. I have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 60.

Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions? You love your HRM, you swear by it, you completely trust the readouts???

Please share your thoughts... I would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS!!!!

Replies

• ccaruso219
    ccaruso219 Posts: 92
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and I love it. 2 years is about right for battery life. You are probably getting bad readings because the battery is going bad. I would see how much it is to change the battery, it might be cheaper than investing in a new one.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60. I completely love it. It works great for runs (I bought the foot pod to track speed/distance) and for every other type of workout. It sets heart rate zone goals for every week depending on whether you want to improve or maximize fitness or lose weight. It's definitely helped motivate me to reach my goals when I'd rather sit on the couch.

The drawback is the price, which is around $220. The optional foot pod runs another $110. You definitely get what you pay for though.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @ Connie - yeah, it might be time for new batteries :-) But I started jogging outdoors (when the weather isn't in the high 90s or in the triple digits) so I was thinking either getting the Garmin FR60 with a footpod or maybe a Nike +...

@ Jill -- The foot pod is the reason I'm thinking of an upgrade! I also like the looks of the Garmin too. I think I'm hitting the "I need something new" itch, ya know???

Thanks ladies! I'll keep looking into this. It won't be a "right away" purchase, maybe I will hit mom and dad up for Christmas or my bday :-)