New to Jogging

Options
Once the snow and ice gets tolerable around here, I am planning to start jogging. I'd like to be able to do a 5K this summer. Any advice on how to begin training for this? I've always quit jogging after the first couple of days due to shin splints, and because I was out of breath and wanting to walk before I even got past my driveway (though, my driveway is about a half mile long) :D Maybe that is normal for a beginner, but I felt discouraged. Suggestions on how to train and stay motivated? Thanks!!

Replies

• schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There's a great program for beginner runners called C25K (Couch to 5K). Highly recommend, my brother just started it and really likes it.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    With regards to shin splints, don't land on your heels when you run, land on the balls of your feet like when you sprint. Your calves may be really sore at first but they'll get used to it and you'll have lots fewer joint or back problems too.

Start out just doing what you can. Don't worry about speed or distance but work hard enough to elevate your heart rate and break a sweat. Just do a little more every time and make sure you do it regularly. Every day is good.
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    "Just Move" make a goal let's say a mile, run as long as you can and then walk until you can run again till you make the mile. Time yourself on day 1 and now you have a time to beat each time you run. Do the best that "you" can do. Some days you will be faster than others depending on your rest and food consumption. Good luck!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    With regards to shin splints, don't land on your heels when you run, land on the balls of your feet like when you sprint. Your calves may be really sore at first but they'll get used to it and you'll have lots fewer joint or back problems too.

Start out just doing what you can. Don't worry about speed or distance but work hard enough to elevate your heart rate and break a sweat. Just do a little more every time and make sure you do it regularly. Every day is good.

^This. Check out the Couch to 5k. I did it and my wife is nearly done with it. We both ran our first 5k last weekend. Its a progressive system and is designed to build your legs and your cardio system to be able to handle a 5k. I can't recommend it enough.

Other tips:

*Check out Chi Running and learn proper running form. When I started with that I have not been injured since.
    *Go to a running shop and have a gait analysis done. Do it when you start C25k and then again when you are done.
    *Look into getting minimalist shoes. The traditional running shoe is horrible for you.
    *If you can swing it, get a heart rate monitor. It makes finding your body's sweet (sweat?) spot easier.
    *Don't forget to do exercises for your core, and maintain proper posture when running. Something like these http://strengthrunning.com/2012/01/the-standard-core-routine-video-demonstration/
  • sadieemonster
    Options
    Don't know anything about the C25k program, but definitely listen to all of the things previously said. When starting out, it's most important to focus on good form and make sure that you're getting yourself into the right habits. You might be very sore at first but it will definitely feel better after the first week or so, and I know this because I had the same experience!
    Also, if you find yourself getting tired easily or wanting to walk a lot at first that is totally normal, and it's perfectly fine to let yourself walk (or stop, especially if you are in pain). Just try to go a little bit longer without walking each time and eventually it will become easier to run longer distances.

Good job for doing this, I wish you the best of luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for good running shoes at a running store, and then do the C25K thing (it's basically a walk-run program, where you gradually increase the length of running intervals and eliminate walking altogether).
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5 k is the best starter program. I have a few 5ks under my belt and am running my first 10k this saturday. Running was my least favorite thing in the world.... I would have rather folded laundry!! Now I run because I love it.... I feel free when I run!! No nagging kids or husband... just me and the pavement. Start off slow... keep at it and it gets addicting :D
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5 k is the best starter program. I have a few 5ks under my belt and am running my first 10k this saturday. Running was my least favorite thing in the world.... I would have rather folded laundry!! Now I run because I love it.... I feel free when I run!! No nagging kids or husband... just me and the pavement. Start off slow... keep at it and it gets addicting :D

The endorphin rush is great, too.
  • brittknight828
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! You can do it! I just started running one year ago, and I've done 3 5k's in that time. There's no reason you can't do the same. I was NEVER a runner, and got out of breath doing some of the simplest things, even as a kid.

First thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is go to a running store. They will measure your feet, have you run on a treadmill, videotape you (sounds weird, I know), and possibly make insoles for your feet. They will help you get the perfect shoe for you.

I started with this program to run a mile in four weeks: http://running.about.com/od/trainingschedules/a/fourweekstoonemile.htm

After you feel comfortable running one mile at a time, I'd suggest moving on to this (a run/walk schedule): http://running.about.com/od/5kracetrainingschedules/a/5Krunwalktrainingschedule.htm

I personally prefer to run a set number of miles instead of minutes, which is why I like this one: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/first5K.htm

Print up the program and hang it at your desk, fridge, or anywhere you're going to look everyday & cross off each run you do. Each day & each week of the program you complete will only motivate you further!

For me, probably part of the reason I never was a runner is that I gave up way too easily. If I told myself to 'just run,' I would push myself for what was probably 30 seconds, and then quit. I have to give myself specific goals-- like run for X miles or X minutes. The schedules above helped me with that.

If you like to run outside, I would also suggest using mapmyrun.com. You can map out your run beforehand to set a route you want to run/walk. I find that it is easier to complete my route instead of continuously watching my clock while running (because if my head isn't completely into running that day, that is exactly what I will do).

I hope that helps & makes sense!
  • Dansk_USA
    Dansk_USA Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. I didn't even know that a running store would help out with all that stuff! I can also see my posture has probably been way off, since I wasn't aware you shouldn't just "go out and run" :D