Jillian MIchaels thoughts on the 30 Day Shred...

Options
I was listening to Jillian's podcast today and I thought I'd pass along something she said. Her co-host Janice was saying that her niece recently bought 30DS and Jillian was like "WHY??" Apparently to Jillian, 30DS is OLD and ANTIQUATED. She said using the 30DS is like driving around a 1985 Ferrari and she said "buy a new Ferarri!" She said Ripped in 30 is what people should be using instead of 30DS and that it's much better and more effective.

Just a tip from the lady herself!! :)

Replies

• JamieRebecca23
    Options
    well that stinks considering i'm on day 6 of 30DS. it's still a great workout. i guess i'll upgrade after this.
  • cassiejadex
    Options
    It's really strange that she's said that, it's not as if workouts go out of date! I'd say 30DS is still effective. Look at all the people who have got excellent results lately. I'm only on day three and loving it so far, I feel improvement after 3 days and always feel the burn which I think is important.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shes just plugging her new products. I wouldn't worry, a workout is a workout. I still workout to Jane Fonda's original 1980s aerobic workout.
  • JessiAnn88
    JessiAnn88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nothing against what you wrote because I'm sure ripped in 30 is great (i'm planning on starting it next) but IMO if it made ppl get in better shape how ever many years ago, it's still going to get ppl in shape today. So many ppl have gotten awesome results in such a short time that it's kinda just silly to say it doesn't work becasue the tape is old (personnally i just finished it today and lost 6 lbs and 10" off of my body). She want's ppl to buy here new DVD not continue to use an old one, of course she's going to say that, the women's not stupid.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if you did 30DS. Jillian was trying to say that she's developed her techniques a lot since it was released so her most recent programme would probably incorporate those years of experience.

Then again, maybe she just wants you to buy the new one :)
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shes just plugging her new products. I wouldn't worry, a workout is a workout. I still workout to Jane Fonda's original 1980s aerobic workout.

This!!
    Obviously ANY workout will still be effective. ITA that she's wanting to promote her newest latest!
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Maybe because 30DS is available for free online on YouTube? Of course she wants to sell her new vids.

I've done 30DS and part-way through RI30 and I have found them to be similarly effective. I've lost ~15lbs, dropped a dress size (lost tons of inches) on 30DS. I'd happily drive that old Ferrari!
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Er, I second just selling new things. I think I'll stick with occasionally doing the 30DS, got rid of my love handles doing it so.. yeah, I'm good. c:
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I did 30 DS in January and loved it. The best thing about it was it got me doing something active every day (pretty much). I started Ripped in 30 after, but got so bored on week 2. Now I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme and it's AMAZING!!!!! 90 DAYS and really fantastic. Love it.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just started too! I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and it's a great workout to combine with running. I do it on my non-running days and double up 2 days a week, 30 DS in the morning and running in the evening. Maybe after I get into my half marathon training a little bit, I'll upgrade.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if you did 30DS. Jillian was trying to say that she's developed her techniques a lot since it was released so her most recent programme would probably incorporate those years of experience.

Then again, maybe she just wants you to buy the new one :)

It could easily be either of these. My guess is that she wants people to buy her new stuff because she wants more money. 30DS works. It's been proven several times by people who have done it, and I'm one of them. I have her 30DS and her Ripped in 30 DVD's. I love them both, and will continue to do both. I will also continue to by her other dvd's because they work.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    From the sound of her voice, it really seemed like she was surprised that people were still buying her old products. It's not that they aren't effective, per se, but I think if you were going to buy something NEW, she would want people to buy her new routines and not her older ones. Obviously people improve upon their techniques and ideas.

Either way, she's going to make $$$ if people are buying her stuff, so it wouldn't matter. It's not like she was saying "Oh, don't USE 30DS, buy new stuff" she was specifically talking about someone who just bought 30DS. I thought it was interesting to hear it from her, so I just wanted to pass it along.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    I just started the 30 DS today and I find it to be a great workout. It definitely got my heart pumping and muscles burning. :)
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like the 30DS and still do it a couple of times a week and still see results. Sounds like she is trying to get her customers to spend more money. LOL.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ripped in 30 is a lot more difficult but I love 30 day shred so I still do it. I just incorporate it with running.
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS before I did Ripped in 30 and I think it got me ready for Ripped in 30. I'm not sure I could be as successful at it if I hadn't done 30DS first.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Any trainer wants you to get your best workout. She sees Ri30 as providing a better workout than 30DS. Which it does--it's far more intense. But as a starting point, it may be too intense. The people who do 30DS are often people just getting into fitness challenges, so 30DS is plenty of work (heck it's a solid workout even if you are quite fit). But I understand why she would be preferring customers buy Ri30 as their first workout: it has more workouts, it's a bigger bang for your buck, it's more dynamic, it's a better production quality, and it's more reflective of how her training style has evolved.
  • reneek21
    reneek21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was listening to Jillian's podcast today and I thought I'd pass along something she said. Her co-host Janice was saying that her niece recently bought 30DS and Jillian was like "WHY??" Apparently to Jillian, 30DS is OLD and ANTIQUATED. She said using the 30DS is like driving around a 1985 Ferrari and she said "buy a new Ferarri!" She said Ripped in 30 is what people should be using instead of 30DS and that it's much better and more effective.

Just a tip from the lady herself!! :)

I think she wants those to just BUY her other DVD's. Just saying.

I just started 30 Day shred yesterday- so I'm not sure if it will work for me or not- but when I read your post- I just though Jillian was seeing more $$$.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    She's just trying to sell a new product.

30DS is a great workout, did it 2 years ago and saw good results, recently I did Insanity and shifted a load of weight (after putting a load back on) I had a break after Insanity for 2 weeks then started the 30DS again, after Insanity I found it too easy so started doubling up by doing level 2 and 3 as one workout and it's so much better than doing Insanity IMO, there's more calorie burn (tested with a strap HRM) and is more than just a cardio workout.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    And that there, folks, is how you sell a new product when you can't continue to make enough money on the old one. :) If your 1985 Ferrari still runs - drive her all the time!