Unsupportive Family

Options
Well, as a college student, I am currently living at home to try and save money and focus more on school. Unfortunately this means, I'm at the mercy of whatever groceries my family buys. Both my Mother and Father are obese and my Dad was recently diagnosed with diabetes but neither of them have any real motivation to lose the weight or be healthier.

I'm just so frustrated because I fill the house with veggies and healthy snacks and then they go out and bring home cookies and ice cream. They're like "I'm not forcing you to eat it" but...I grew up in an atmosphere indulgence and over eating....what do they think is going to happen if they fill the house with junk?

I just want to scream...Food is an addiction...Sugar is shown to trigger dopamine releases in your brain...so yes, writing this it all sounds like an excuse and "Just don't eat it" seems like the best advice...but it's really really difficult for me.

I've talked to them about it and they just, don't care. They have no motivation to do anything for themselves...and they feel like they shouldn't have to do anything special to accommodate me.

With cancer, diabetes, and heart disease running heavily through my family...If I can't learn to eat healthy now...I'm really afraid for my future.

Any advice for how to "Just not eat it"

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I can't have treats in the house either. If it's here, I have a hard time turning it down. Can you try to workout when a craving hits? I've finally reached a point where the endorphins from exercise make me happier than eating chocolate.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Any advice for how to "Just not eat it"

If you really want to not have to use portion control (something I recommend for fatty/sugary snacks as opposed to avoiding them 100%), then NEVER let yourself be hungry. EVER! and plan ahead what you're going to eat for the whole day and prelog it.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Get some half-sized sandwich bags and set aside single servings of "bad" snacks so you can have one or two a day without being deprived or tempted by the whole package. If you're eating an actual single serving size the calories and stats in junk food is really not going to make that much of an impact on your day.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You have to know that your doing what you do for you and just stay away. I make all kinds of sweets for my family and I have a bite but not (usually) the whole thing. Just walk away
  • ImPerfectSoRU
    ImPerfectSoRU Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer,

I understand your pain and frustration. You have a tough situation. But I hear some great things too. You are a really caring person for yourself and your family. You are aware of the unhealthy lifestyle that surrounds you. You're knowledgeable in the medical reasons to live healthy. So you have a lot going for you. I have a few suggestions, perhaps they could help.

1. How you feel is important. If you can't be around your family when they are eating without losing your peace of mind then leave the room or house if necessary. That action will speak more loudly than any words you can say. Keep eating healthy without saying anything. Be involved whenever the situation is healthy, positive and loving.

2. Forgive them. Accept your family as they are, bad habits and all. Accept that they are not in the same place as you are. Your resistance (frustration/anger) is adding more resistance to the situation.

3. Seek your support elsewhere, like you are here. Your family is not capable to be supportive at the moment. Its not that they won't but more like they can't. Your young, smart and caring, there is plenty of "friends" available- you have to see what you have, not what you don't have.

Be well and healthy.
  • sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When you're living in someone else's house, you don't get to dictate what they buy for themselves or eat. Sorry. This is a decision you've made for you and you alone, and you can't make that decision for others. They need to do it when/if they are ready to do it for themselves. Maybe you could ask them (politely and fully understanding that they have every right in the world to say no, because it is THEIR house), if they could store the foods that tempt you in a cupboard that you don't have to look in. If you really want to do this, you will. Be completely honest if you eat crap too, because seeing the high calorie counts for that junk may scare you off or at least motivate you into moderation. It sure works for me.
    Good luck in your weight loss.
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As hard as it may be, be the example. Maybe your parents will see the positive changes and want to get on board. But if not, you have to take care of you. You deserve to be healthy.
  • doulanik
    doulanik Posts: 84
    Options
    I don't know if this is a viable option for you at all, but I put my treadmill in my kitchen. I have to walk past it to get to the refrigerator. So whenever I find myself craving something the rest of my family (relatively thin husband, and two thin daughters) eat, such as chips or icecream, I make myself do 30 min on the treadmill first. Typically I change my mind while walking/jogging and don't eat what I was craving before. Occasionally I still eat it, but I have a couple hundred calories knocked out to help take the edge off.
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    How bad do you want to lose weight? You can say that it's difficult because there are foods in the house and you have trouble resisting, but it's kind of an excuse. No one is going to give you the motivation but yourself. You have to evaluate how badly you want to reach your goal and just do it. Losing weight, getting willpower...no one said it would be easy. You gotta just do it because no one will do it for you. Good luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think of all the foods I used to eat, there are only TWO that I no longer do....potato chips and regular Coke. I indulge in everything else in moderation. IF you can do that. I will measure out a half cup of ice cream or a couple tablespoons of chocolate chips. May not seem like much but its a nice treat and it doesn't sabotage me.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It's VERY IMPORTANT that you log everything you're eating EVERY SINGLE DAY...even if you continue to eat and overeat junk food all day long. To win over this food addiction, you (and all of us) must practice "mindful" eating...that means you eat it--you log it, HONESTLY, and preferably, in the case of junk food, log it BEFORE you eat it (as you see the calories, sugar and fat tote up, you may decide to make a healthier choice or, better yet, don't eat anything at all if it puts you over your calorie intake for the day). Do this for a week or two of eating junk, junk, junk and I guarantee your logical brain will kick in and you will start making some more healthy choices, slowly, but surely.

Second, you should work on your food addiction by exploring what feelings and emotions you're trying to medicate with junk food. Check out the book, "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth (it's not as "religious" as the title sounds). Google her and check out some of the videos and book excerpts and see if it hits home for you on any level. Believe it or not, healthy eating and exercise will remove the pounds...but to keep the weight off and not suffer throughout your life gaining and losing over and over again, you MUST do what it takes to break the food addiction. Reading the book I mentioned above will give you a good place to start.

A couple of the posters above gave some great advice about your parents--it's not about THEM, it's about YOU. Know that they are doing the best they know how and be grateful for all they are doing for you. As you read books about "mindfulness" and work through the issues you have that make you overeat, you will also learn compassion that will help you cope with whatever issues you have with your parents' lifestyle.

Good luck...if you work the program and work through your food issues, by the time you move to your own place, you will have a much easier time living a healthy lifestyle.
  • pranav127
    pranav127 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel..I'm from India and white rice is a staple food in my home!
    My dad is a heavy eater and my sister goes out and shops for the some of the worst processed food.
    The only thing that's helped me is portion control.
    Nobody is perfect and letting yourself go just a little bit.. once in a while is okay.
    Remember YOUR goal and what YOU want...we can't force family to become health conscious too. :)
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    My parents buy junk and all the time but over time I've learnt to resist it all. I just look at how many calories are in them and how eating it will put me out of my goals, etc and realise it's not worth it. However that doesn't mean I don't have any treats, when I still have calories left at the end of the day I'll have something sometimes. I think those occasional treats keep you sane.

Maybe if your parents start seeing you get healthy and have results it'll encourage them to do the same.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I know how you feel..I'm from India and white rice is a staple food in my home!
    My dad is a heavy eater and my sister goes out and shops for the some of the worst processed food.
    The only thing that's helped me is portion control.
    Nobody is perfect and letting yourself go just a little bit.. once in a while is okay.
    Remember YOUR goal and what YOU want...we can't force family to become health conscious too. :)
    Have you tried basmati? it's Low GI and better for you than white rice.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if you can cut all sugary snacks fro 3 weeks youll lose your urges. Its a ****ty 3 weeks. I;d liken it to the "Keto flu"... It's also usually imperative that you eat extremely healthy, dare I say "clean", foods during this time, to avoid just substituting other garbage.. Once your cravings have subsided, you then can consider indulging in moderation and self control should be easier...

its hard... just do it for 3 weeks... trust me...

ETA: People not adopting your lifestyle is not unsupportive.. I dont yell at my friends because they do coke infront of me and I had a coke addiction... it may not make it easier, but, the world isnt ever going to revolve around you

Perhaps the real issue isnt so much that you think they are bringing you down, its that you love them and want them to do this with you.. You did say you buy healthy snacks "for them".... Sit them down and make them know how important it is to you and get them on an exercise routine and dont let them slip... progress will motivate them... itll be more work for you, but, it sounds like its what you really want... I had to do this and I had to be stern and demanding... I walked with them to make sure they did it.. after a while they walked on their own and didnt need me to baby them through their routine.... a few month laster they are asking what else theuy should add.. its a good feeling
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i know what u mean. i try not to touch their food anyways bc its theirs not mine........
  • bbcoachmegan
    Options
    I definitely get the frustration and concern you have for your family!
    I was also raised in a family that used food as comfort and celebration and rewards. I've had to learn new habits and set my priorities ahead of what is in front of me now. I've also started using BeachBody workout programs to focus my fitness, and Shakeology to help with my nutrition. Its made a huge difference for me ... and slowly - I've been able to share with my family and have them start making healthier options.

It's a struggle for sure ... I'm sorry you don't have support from your family ... but you have support from us!!!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Remember misery loves company, I don't think people should have feel terrible about themselves. The sad thing is it happens food is an addiction just like a drunk or a drug addict trying to get away from a situation they don't want you to leave what they are doing. It becomes even more tough with family but continue doing what you're doing and be strong their are a lot of people in the same situation as you're in.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eat your protein and veggies first, log everything, and then portion control the snacks. Fill up on good food first and you probably won't want much junk anyway.

I keep dark chocolate and nuts around for snacks-- very satisfying and it doesn't take much to feel decadent and full.
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Some good tips here - have you considered storing your food elsewhere? Maybe get a little fridge in your room and dedicate a part of your closet or something to your own foods that will be right in front of you all the time. That way when you wake up you'll be more likely to grab some fruit or granola than eat some pop tarts...

I absolutely agree with indulging yourself in moderation, by the way. You may not lose the weight quite as fast, but you'll lose it more permanently. Keep portions of junky food small - if your mom or dad makes you an unhealthy dinner, eat just a small amount of it and supplement with salads or veggies. I looooove pasta, and could never cut it out entirely - I just have a tiny plate that I put atop my larger plate, and fill the tiny plate with pasta while I used the larger plate for healthier sides.

It's frustrating and can be difficult living with someone who doesn't accept the same lifestyle changes as you do. My husband is very slim and doesn't really need to watch what he eats, so he can be a real food enabler for me. When I take the time to make a healthy dinner, he always loves and appreciates it. Maybe try to make dinner for your family a couple nights out of the week? If you can find some tasty recipes that are also low-calorie, they might be more likely to think about making a lifestyle change of their own.