I love soda, but need to switch to something else..

Options
I am someone who needs caffeine throughout the day to keep me going and have always drank soda, however, I don't like anything diet (especially with aspartame or other artificial sweeteners) and not a big fan of coffee. Does anyone know of something that might satisfy my soda cravings and give me a caffeine boost? Hopefully something without HFCS.

Replies

• blaaaaah
    blaaaaah Posts: 11
    Options
    Sugar free redbull, maybe? It isn't too bad for you, only has maybe 8 calories, no added sugar & gives you an energy hit. But it's a bit of an acquired taste, not everyone I know enjoys it. It's probably still not the best for you, though.

On the other hand you could always try something like "Berocca", an orange flavoured effervescent tablet that you add to water. Has maybe 15 calories, contains a lot of vitamins & minerals & claims to give you a bit of extra energy. It doesn't taste too bad.
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    5hour energy s good.
  • Jennid27
    Jennid27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Can't believe this is me writing this because I really miss my vanilla cokes...but I switched to seltzer water...Poland spring vanilla orange and black cherry are really good...sometimes I add a shot of sugar free syrup..yeah, it has Splenda. My surprise finding is that when I get off the soda, I don't miss the caffeine...have more energy within 2 days of water/seltzer and I don't crash anymore in the afternoon. Yes, I do have a mug of tea or coffee (normal mug not super sized) and have given up my afternoon coffee. My boss was a soda addict and now I realize why her (and my) moods were up and down all day. Seltzer does take a while to get used to but your taste will adjust and now I want one instead. Try it...you can start by saving one soda at night or in the am to get you going. I hated coffee too until I found good coffee. Best wishes.
  • Jennid27
    Jennid27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Oops...sorry, I meant Polar seltzer.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I drink S. Pellgrino water now....it's in green glass bottles imported from Italy I think. I like it, and gives me the fizz I crave.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have had success with just limiting my soda. Don't like coffee, tea, etc. or diet either. I have my one can a day with lunch and have found I actually don't miss the caffeine, and I look forward to my "treat" every day!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Hemp heart seeds have been giving me a good energy boost. I mix them into my oatmeal in the morning, but they can be mixed into anything. (yogurt, smoothies, cereal, rice...anything you want, really)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You can wean yourself off caffeine... it's an addictive drug, so there will be a withdrawal period, but it's not long.

Alternatives to caffeinated soda that are actually good for you:

* Green tea---find an Asian grocery, especially Japanese, for a good selection
    * Mate/cimarrón
    * black coffee (if you get decent beans, it really grows on you)
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I switched to green tea in the morning, and if I need the afternoon caffeine, I'll have a glass of unsweetened iced tea.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely nothing to add to this. So sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions. Funny to me only, yeah I get it. I live on coffee until lunch, then its water. When I get home diet cola until bed. Don't forget all the good food mixed in and oh yeah I love splenda. Heaven help LOL <trolls jump now>
  • kimelliott14470
    Options
    I am an avid pop drinker, always have been and always will be. Like you I need the caffeine to survive the day. I switched to Cherry coke zero a few years back and that's all I drink now. It only has sodium in it so I drink all I want during the day. If I run to a store and they don't carry it and I get just regular Coke or Pepsi I can't even finish it now because of the taste. Hope this works for you!
  • shellcan35
    shellcan35 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can't believe this is me writing this because I really miss my vanilla cokes...but I switched to seltzer water...Poland spring vanilla orange and black cherry are really good...sometimes I add a shot of sugar free syrup..yeah, it has Splenda. My surprise finding is that when I get off the soda, I don't miss the caffeine...have more energy within 2 days of water/seltzer and I don't crash anymore in the afternoon. Yes, I do have a mug of tea or coffee (normal mug not super sized) and have given up my afternoon coffee. My boss was a soda addict and now I realize why her (and my) moods were up and down all day. Seltzer does take a while to get used to but your taste will adjust and now I want one instead. Try it...you can start by saving one soda at night or in the am to get you going. I hated coffee too until I found good coffee. Best wishes.

Where do you buy the Polar Spring? I will try this.
  • shellcan35
    Options
    Hemp heart seeds have been giving me a good energy boost. I mix them into my oatmeal in the morning, but they can be mixed into anything. (yogurt, smoothies, cereal, rice...anything you want, really)

Where do you find hemp heart seeds?
  • shellcan35
    Options
    I am an avid pop drinker, always have been and always will be. Like you I need the caffeine to survive the day. I switched to Cherry coke zero a few years back and that's all I drink now. It only has sodium in it so I drink all I want during the day. If I run to a store and they don't carry it and I get just regular Coke or Pepsi I can't even finish it now because of the taste. Hope this works for you!

I enjoy the taste of Coke Zero too, never tried the Cherry Coke Zero. Does this have caffeine in it?
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I love RockStar Lemonade! It's so good and for 8 oz it's only 10 calories and 1 sugar not bad at all. I don't mind diet pop at all so I don't know if it has a taste like that at all. Also all my nursing friends like spark, never had but one drink of it but a lot of my friends love and live by it.
  • Bubbaluh
    Bubbaluh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find the ABSOLUTE best replacement is Flavoured diet mineral water, It completely satisfies that craving for soda and is only 5 calories per 200ml, Of course you still need to drink water but its the best replacement for that craving!
  • laura0001
    laura0001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water!
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Try some black teas - you can even put honey and milk in it if it's...your cup o' tea. (hurr hurr hurr)
    Also, do you eat breakfast? Including some fruit in your breakfast can boost your energy level. Even an apple in the middle of the day can help. At least it does for me. Breakfast is a must if I am getting out of grizzly mode.
  • mrs727remedy
    mrs727remedy Posts: 25 Member
    Options

amazon.com has them i was looking at them today
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

amazon.com has them i was looking at them today

Yes, amazon does have them. Or if you have a local health food store, they probably do too. Give them a try. I like the energy they give better than caffeine, it feels natural.