Yes, another lifting for women thread

Options
2»

Replies

• Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    One more thing... What about diet? I know I have to eat more proteine, but what else? I assume that I will have to eat more, but how much more? My BMR is 1350, my TDEE -20% is 1500-something. Any advice?

Here ya go:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

This should help you!:)
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what InnerCircle is, but if you want a way to keep up your motivation, try joining Fitocracy. It's a free website that gives you points for various exercises, and there are levels and quests.
    When I read about Fitocracy, it seems to be a kind of replacement of, for examble, RunKeeper. Am I right about this? I apologize if that´s a stupid question.

Kind of. It's used for tracking all sorts of exercises - boxing, weightlifting, running, hiking - pretty much anything you can think of. It awards points based on difficulty (although it's not a perfect system), so doing 5 squats without weights might get you 5 points, but 5 with a 20lb barbell on your shoulders will get you a lot more. It lets you know when you've beaten one of your old records, you achieve new levels every so often, and I just find it a great motivator altogether.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Thank you all very much. I am very grateful.
  • jjski88
    jjski88 Posts: 24
    Options
    I´m a pre-beginner! I strongly consider to try StronLift 5x5, but want to know some of yours experiences and hear your advice. I know there is a group, but I haven´t read up on it all yet. Sorry if my questions is answered there and I just haven´t read it yet. I´m a 5´3 girl,154 pounds and absolutely no muscles. I´m a weakling! My goal is to lose fat and be toned and to become stronger. So:

A) what are your experiences.?
    B) any advice ?
    C) I´m a little to comfortable and I´m afraid to lose motivation fast. What about the InnerCircle? Any experiences on that? Or is it just a waste of money?
    D) Any pre-beginners out there?
    E) I have probably forgotten a lot of my questions, so just hit me with what you got.

Thank you for your time to read and answer this.

Stronglifts 5x5 is for serious body builders looking to put on lots of muscle. I'm guessing that you are not looking to get very muscular, but rather lose the fat and get toned. If that is the case then I would not recommend doing Stronglifts.

What you're looking for is a cardio strength training program that will burn fat, add some muscle, and help you lose weight. yes, technique is important and the predominant way to do that is to work on your core (abs, obliques, and lower back). That is the area you will rely on to keep your form when you are doing your exercises. So concentrate on contracting your core muscles when lifting weights and your technique will fall into place.

I would suggest a program that incorporates strength training and cardiovascular workouts that is high intensity for 30-60 minutes.
    Please donot give out bad advice. Women (heck, even men) don't get bulky this easily. Stronglifts is NOT designed only for serious body builders. She doesn't need to only stick with cardio strength training to burn fat. She won't be able to add muscle while eating at a deficit.

Am I to understand that you basically want her to do those video programs like insanity only? If so, while those programs are great, I will once again ask you to not give bad advice since you donot NEED such programs. Stronglifts will work perfectly fine, if not better

It is not bad advise, it is sound advise. The scientific basis behind low reps, heavy weights is to build muscle strength and mass. The Stronglifts 5x5 program is a 12 week program that does not have sustainability. This is no different than the P90X or Insanity programs. Individuals need to try different programs and see what works for them. I was just giving her an option to incorporate into her routine, because most people will do the 12 week program and not know where to go from there. You have to be able to mix it up each week or you will get in a rut and get bored with the same routine.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    B) Add in some pull ups and dips to avoid T Rex mode
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    B) Add in some pull ups and dips to avoid T Rex mode

As much as I love them (And the T Rex mode that goes with it) its usually an overkill when doing a heavy lifting program like stronglifts and actually hurts your stronglifts since the energy is going towards pull up and dips. For starting I think you can just follow the program for a couple of month without changing much. I am thinking about adding some cardio RIGHT AFTER the lifting though since I sometimes still have energy.
  • taunto
    Options
    A lot of great advices! Thank you so much!!

jjski88@ thank you so much for your input, but I don´t think it is possible for me to become very muscular. I´m build far too slender and I figure it will be difficult for me to gain muscles. I have been here for more than 290 days, done cardio and eating at a deficit and lost 0. Zero, nothing, nada. I have to try something different. But again, thank you for your input and oppinion.

This was the most beautiful way of telling somebody to buzz off I've ever seen. Kudos to you OP!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I´m a pre-beginner! I strongly consider to try StronLift 5x5, but want to know some of yours experiences and hear your advice. I know there is a group, but I haven´t read up on it all yet. Sorry if my questions is answered there and I just haven´t read it yet. I´m a 5´3 girl,154 pounds and absolutely no muscles. I´m a weakling! My goal is to lose fat and be toned and to become stronger. So:

A) what are your experiences.?
    B) any advice ?
    C) I´m a little to comfortable and I´m afraid to lose motivation fast. What about the InnerCircle? Any experiences on that? Or is it just a waste of money?
    D) Any pre-beginners out there?
    E) I have probably forgotten a lot of my questions, so just hit me with what you got.

Thank you for your time to read and answer this.

Stronglifts 5x5 is for serious body builders looking to put on lots of muscle. I'm guessing that you are not looking to get very muscular, but rather lose the fat and get toned. If that is the case then I would not recommend doing Stronglifts.

What you're looking for is a cardio strength training program that will burn fat, add some muscle, and help you lose weight. yes, technique is important and the predominant way to do that is to work on your core (abs, obliques, and lower back). That is the area you will rely on to keep your form when you are doing your exercises. So concentrate on contracting your core muscles when lifting weights and your technique will fall into place.

I would suggest a program that incorporates strength training and cardiovascular workouts that is high intensity for 30-60 minutes.
    Please donot give out bad advice. Women (heck, even men) don't get bulky this easily. Stronglifts is NOT designed only for serious body builders. She doesn't need to only stick with cardio strength training to burn fat. She won't be able to add muscle while eating at a deficit.

Am I to understand that you basically want her to do those video programs like insanity only? If so, while those programs are great, I will once again ask you to not give bad advice since you donot NEED such programs. Stronglifts will work perfectly fine, if not better

It is not bad advise, it is sound advise. The scientific basis behind low reps, heavy weights is to build muscle strength and mass. The Stronglifts 5x5 program is a 12 week program that does not have sustainability. This is no different than the P90X or Insanity programs. Individuals need to try different programs and see what works for them. I was just giving her an option to incorporate into her routine, because most people will do the 12 week program and not know where to go from there. You have to be able to mix it up each week or you will get in a rut and get bored with the same routine.

That doesn't necessarily equal bulk though. You did gave poor advice and I kinda question how a man can give advice to a woman of this kind given that said man is not a woman...
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Hey, behave all. :wink: I appreciate all kinds of advise. I have decided to do lifting. But I agree, that I will have to put some thoughts into what to do when the 12 weeks are over. I´m sure that I can get some good advise here on MFP- and some bad advises as well. I will read up on the group, they probably have some great ideas. But some may have considered something I have not. A lot of people do. :wink: I have been given some great advises here, and as said, I am very thankfull. I will do a lot of reading and watch some youtube videos. I have subscribed to StrongLifts channel and some others. There´s some disagreement about what is best, few exercises or more exercises mixed. I´m leaning towards a few, like Stronglifts advises. That sounds manageable for me. But please keep hitting me with our experiences.
  • taunto
    Options
    Hey, behave all. :wink: I appreciate all kinds of advise. I have decided to do lifting. But I agree, that I will have to put some thoughts into what to do when the 12 weeks are over. I´m sure that I can get some good advise here on MFP- and some bad advises as well. I will read up on the group, they probably have some great ideas. But some may have considered something I have not. A lot of people do. :wink: I have been given some great advises here, and as said, I am very thankfull. I will do a lot of reading and watch some youtube videos. I have subscribed to StrongLifts channel and some others. There´s some disagreement about what is best, few exercises or more exercises mixed. I´m leaning towards a few, like Stronglifts advises. That sounds manageable for me. But please keep hitting me with our experiences.

You can continue stronglifts after 12 weeks. Just a thought :)