30DS rest days - opinions?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've done literally no exercise for about 6 months (ankle injury stopped me running then I kept making excuses - weather, time etc.) so I'm currently pretty much as unfit as it's possible to be.

I thought 30DS might be a good way to get me started again but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should build up my fitness a bit before starting. I've done two days then had a rest day yesterday because one of my shoulders and one of my calves were really sore - and not in the 'had a good workout sense' but really twingey and tight.

I've been on the amazon site for the DVD and there are quite a few people saying doing the same high impact exercises every day without giving your muscles time to recover can result in injuries - and that's the last thing I need.

So the question is - do I work through the pain and hope for the best or do I just do the DVD 3-4 times/week with walking on the rest days until I have a better basic level of fitness?

Advice much appreciated!

X

Replies

• Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    Even Jillian stated in a podcast to take rest days. She said the "30 day" part of it was for marketing. You do it 30 times. Not 30 days in a row.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I started doing 30DS I also had to take rest days. In fact, after the first day that I did it, I could barely walk up/down stairs due to all the squats. LOL I think I took 2 or 3 rest days after that first day. Then I did it "day 2" and I took another day off. I think after day 4 I was able to do it almost everyday. But as the pp mentioned, it's best to take at least 1-2 rest days per week with any exercise program. You'll still get great results!
  • Jojan_neke
    Jojan_neke Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You should definately take rest days and listen to your body! I started with the shred every day after a long period of not working out. I was so stoked about it and lost inches fast. But... I pushed through soreness. It was expected that I would have sore muscles. I ignored it. I also ignored knee-pain.

Now, 1.5 month later I can't even walk up a flight of stairs because I damaged my knees so badly. I went to the doctor and there is not much to do about it. Appparently I have some sort of infection in my knees. I should have listened to my body and take rest days and not push through. It is hard to feel if pain is just sore muscle or real damage.

Good luck! No shredding for me anymore :(
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Even Jillian stated in a podcast to take rest days. She said the "30 day" part of it was for marketing. You do it 30 times. Not 30 days in a row.

^^ This

Everyone should have a rest day at least once a week, regardless of your routine. Personally, I take 3-4.
  • PosyPose
    PosyPose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, that's a relief to hear! It did seem a bit extreme to do it everyday - though lots of people seem to do it that way. I'm going to wait until my shoulder feels better before I go again and just do some walking to keep moving in the meantime then do it every other day.
    :-)
  • mandyb1963
    mandyb1963 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I'm another newbie. I started 30 Day Shred on 25th February 2013 and my last day on Level 1 was on 26th March. I took 5 rest days, so only completed 25 days. I think a rest day in between wont be a bad thing. Certainly worked for me anyway :-) Here are my stats which I recorded on 25th Feb and again on 26th March 2013. I will add that I'm 50 years old and I didn't change my diet. These results are through sheer hard work and determination.

Feb 25th 2013
    BW: 217lbs
    Bust: 44inches
    Waist: 29inches
    Stomach: 48
    Hips: 47
    Thighs: 26
    Arms: 14

Mar 26th 2013
    BW: 207lbs - -10lbs
    Bust: 42inches - -2inches
    Waist: 25inches - -4inches
    Stomach: 46 - -2inches
    Hips: 45 - -2inches
    Thighs: 26 - 0inches
    Arms: 13 - -1inch
    Total Weight Loss in 30 days = 10lb
    Total Inch Loss in 30 = 11inches
    I started Level 2 last night. A whole load of different muscles used and a whole load of new aches and pains this morning :-) :-)
  • milk6
    milk6 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ive started doing the 30DS as I was pretty lost without a routine, however rest days is a MUST. As far as Im aware in terms of how the body builds muscle you need ~72 hours between workouts in order for muscle tissue to rebuild properly.
    It's a good way to start me putting some real effort in though!
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oh I take a rest once a week. Your body needs to recover, at least mine does. I don't even work or leave the house and I still need rest lol so I reckon everyone else should as well!