Looking for high protein foods BESIDES meat

Options
So, for years a I was a pescetarian, and didn't eat any meat other than seafood. About ten years ago, on doctor's orders I had to start eating meat again. Even since then, there are a lot of meats I just WON'T eat, and I still go through periods of no red meat at all...to be honest, I don't really LIKE meat. Chicken has to be cooked JUST RIGHT, or it's nasty to me. Steak has to be a very tender filet or the thought and consistency of it completely gross me out. You get the point...

Anyway, I DO make myself eat some meat now, but I will still always choose seafood or vegetarian options if given the choice. Because of this, I'm getting a lot of my protein from protein shakes. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, but I'm getting tired of getting 140-280 calories a day in liquid format. I want FOOD! lol

Can anyone suggest foods, other than meat, that are really high in protein?

Replies

• Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, I buy the plain and sweeten it with stevia, the flavored ones seem to just have a lot of chemical garbage in them. Nut butters, edemame...lots of things if you know where to look!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, my protein comes from:

whey
    seitan
    tofu
    nuts
    seeds
    Greek yoghurt
    cheese
    cottage cheese
    milk
    soy 'meat' products
    nut butters
    protein bars
    beans
    eggs / egg white
    peas
    Quorn

edited to add more items regularly in my diary but which slipped off brain while typing.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Eggs, or egg substitute (can be eaten plain or incorporated into things like quiche or frittatas) , tex-mex style dishes made with beans, nuts, nut butters, cheese (you can use lower fat versions of most cheeses in recipes for main dishes and not miss the saturated fat). Were you ordered to eat meat because you we're becoming anemic? It can be hard for young women to get enough iron if they don't eat red meat, although you can search on the internet for a list of veggies that are somewhat high in iron. There are always iron supplements.
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you want seafood ones but a can of tuna is around 20g and I've just had a yummy salad made with tinned salmon - 32g for half the tin!
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was ordered to because I have Lyme Disease and need the protein and the iron. And, yes, I was borderline anemic as well.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You eat seafood? So have fish, crab, shrimp etc. Great protein source!
    And fish like tilapia and tuna is also low-calorie.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I never realized tuna had so much!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I love edamame. I have to stop myself from eating it. I get it frozen at Trader Joes and heat it up for a minute with some salt and it's wonderful.
  • bradbaumgarten
    Options
    Nuts or peanut butter might work for you.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you will find nothing contains as much protein per oz. as meat or eggs. You have options like soy/edamame, but you have to eat a lot more to get the same amount of protein per serving. For example, a single 4 oz. chicken breast contains over 20g protein. 4 oz. tofu has 10. So if you want to get your protein from plant based sources you're going to find you just have to eat a _lot_ more food.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    quinoa
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for five+ years. I really enjoy tofu, lentils, nuts of all kinds and nut butters, seeds (esp. flaxseed), eggs, and lots of beans (esp. black beans!).
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi Punky - I agree with nicole - and I also discovered that leafy greens are one of the best sources of protein (as in quality not quantity), but the only way to access that nutrient is through green smoothies (the acid in the fruit breaks down the cellulose so our bodies can get at it). When I started drinking those my body just bloomed with thank yous!
  • susiemeri
    susiemeri Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love edamame. And almond butter. And roasted chickpeas make a fantastic snack. Eggs.

I've also just started eating greek yogurt...like the poster mentioned above - buy the plain, sweeten to taste (I use stevia) and throw in some fruit. It's great with blueberries.

Kashi Go Lean is also high in protein and very filling and satisfying.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Fish has tons of protein-- so does shrimp and crab. If I have a serving of fish a day and a cup of Greek yogurt I hit my protein goals without any effort.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I have popcorn or rice or almost any casserole with nutritional yeast sprinkled on too when I want a boost. Of course, no one in my leak life will touch the stuff and they think I'm weird by I love it!
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    I was ordered to because I have Lyme Disease and need the protein and the iron. And, yes, I was borderline anemic as well.
    Is this order because of protein or B12 and iron???
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Great post on protein sources. It includes meat, but there are also vegetarian and vegan options:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Tempeh and lentils are my favorite Vegan sources.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I second roasted chickpeas!! I especially love red pepper flakes with them. Beans are delicious and versatile, spicy hummus with some greens, beans, a little cheese and a tortilla tastes AMAZING after a work out. If all else fails, maybe try a multivitamin specifically for iron and b12?